3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone else find this offensive?  (Read 2204 times)

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone else find this offensive?
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
You make many good points mo, but that last one is the best. Thanks.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
They should not have put the ad on TV and it sounds as if they are taking it off the air. As others have said, some of our group have trash talked compound shooters here and said it is the same thing. In my opinion it is not the same thing as we are not putting it on TV for millions to see.

On the other hand though,I have never thought talking about compound shooters in a derogatory tone helps us promote our way. We come across as arrogant elitists and should keep it down.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
It apperars Cabelas saw the mistake(by way of your emails) and took action to make it right. We can't ask them to do any more than that. Thanks for doing the right thing Cabelas.
Now, lets get back to talking traditional. Stump shooting anyone?
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
"Anyone else find this offensive?"

Not really, but I guess I've got thicker skin than most.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2009, 01:59:00 PM »
Right on, Bill.
Looks like the situation is being corrected, it is never good when one promotes oneself by dissing another.

I have been a high-dollar customer of Cabela's, and I would hate to cut myself off from their goods. Their eight-man Alaskan Guide tent has served me without problems for many years, and I look to Cabela's to supply high-quality equipment combined with excellent customer service.

I hope that they remember people like me when they produce their next ad campaign. My nose needs no more tweaking.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Forrest Creature 1:
I just got off the phone with a Rep from that store and told them that the Trag Gang is not happy with the ad that was ran. 1-800-237-4444 is a contact where you can leave a message for the ad people at that store.Please call and tell them how you feel.
FC1, I didn't know you are the official spokesman for TradGang, now.  OK to voice your opinion, but I personnally didn't find it offensive, so don't include us all in your statement.  I happen to like Cabelas and do alot of shopping there and their customer service is extremely outstanding.
  I took the commercial in jest.  Lighten up.  In this PC perfect world, people get this panties in a bunch way to easy.  You should only be offended if you really do bumble around half drunk in the woods, like that poor fool did.  Then maybe you got a claim for personal slander.  Maybe they were just making fun of hunters in flannel.
  So, easy a caveman could do it!  Damn Geico!  Now there is a cause to undertake!

Offline richbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
well i jumped into this also. i emailed [email protected] this morning. and well i recieved an email back from him. he stressed the concern about the ad and how he did not mean to offend the hunting community be it trad. or compound or any for that matter. he then want on to say as of today the ad is being pulled from tv. just goes to show if you believe in something you should stand your ground,sometimes it'll work sometimes not,but as in this case i think we can say this subject is over.
Richard Battistoni

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
It always amazes me when someone is offended by someone being offended.
Socrates
(not really)

Cabelas ad dept. needs to have a little forethought next time.

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by tarponnut:
It always amazes me when someone is offended by someone being offended.
I'm offended that you're offended that I'm offended! Hey wait, I forgot... I'm not offended. Nevermind.

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
I thought the ad was pretty funny.  Cabelas is a great source and stands behind whatever they sell.  Lighten up.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
I kinda laughed at the commercial when I saw it. Mostly because it insinuated that you had to buy a whole lot of stuff in order to kill a deer. Now that I am a traditional hunter I don't spend any money.  :bigsmyl:  Yeah right! I just spend it on different stuff.

Come on guys, the commercial was supposed to make folks feel the need to buy more stuff, not bash traditional hunting. If 3 Rivers ran a similar(but reversed) ad, I'll bet most here would think it was funny, not offensive.

If anything, I think writing Cabelas demanding they pull the ad because you are "offended" makes us look much worse than a funny TV commercial.

JMO
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
I personally do not find offense in that commercial,  however,  that being said,  

I am distressed by one thing.  In this day and age very few people know anything of substance about the wild.  Face it, many have no idea where our food comes from or what happens to it prior to the store where they purchase it.  

What they see on TV and in the computer is the ONLY thing that many know, truthful or not.  What they see can and does, on a daily basis, affect and mould their minds, their ideas, and their knowledge.  

Yes sir,  seeing that ad can most certainly cause or back up some folks to believe exactly what was portrayed. . .  if you are carrying one of those antique bows, you are a slob, stupid, not able enough to own and carry a "real" bow,  and likely drunk as all hunters are.  

Connotations can be amplified from there.  That guy is a bumbling fool,  he carries a stick bow, which is bad, everybody knows that.  Stick bows are associated with fools and inept folks and thus they are inept weapons.  Why are they not illegal.

If we do NOT voice up against this, whether it was simply a slip with not enough forethought given, or a callous act against Trad folks, then we allow this indoctrination to stand.  

To be honest, simply pulling the ad is not near enough.  People viewed this already.  A broadcast apology and explanation seems in order.

If you truly believe it doesn't matter, you'd better wake up.  It has been happening all around us, regarding a lot of different topics,for years.  You don't have to prove anything.  All you have to do is say it loud enough and long enough.
ChuckC

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
I received the same response.

I disagree with those who feel we shouldn't have bothered to write. I participated in a letter writing campaign that depicted a Jeep helping a deer safely past hunters by having it play dead on the bumper. Remember that one? No? It was pulled immediately as well.

I have thick skin too and did not cry any tears over that ad or this one. In fact I thought the Jeep ad was funny and very clever. All of that is beside the point. I wrote because there are forces and groups who are trying to win "hearts and minds." The efforts can be subtle in trying to shape a viewpoint. Jokes that perpetuate stereotypes. Clever commercials. There ARE groups trying to ban bowhunting as cruel etc. Starting by getting people to view traditional equipment as being more likely to wound an animal might be an avenue that would give them some traction etc. No? I heard on two hunts that no one should hunt with traditional archery as: "you'll have the deer looking like a pincushion before it dies." This, from compound hunters! (I was happy to prove them wrong).   :D  No? Think about how some states have already banned some firearms by succeeding in having them viewed by the voters as: “too, too, dangerous.” Maybe my thoughts are farfetched but I’d write in protest on principle anyway and did.

Oh! I took the time to thank Cabela's for pulling the ad and stated that their responsiveness has me back in their camp. I think that's important too.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
"Oh! I took the time to thank Cabela's for pulling the ad and stated that their responsiveness has me back in their camp. I think that's important too"

Very true and don't forget it folks. They didn't have to pull the ad and they did show their support for hunting. People makes mistakes the difference is in who owns up to them. Cabelas is one of the good guys.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
Curveman,

I didn’t see where anyone said folks shouldn’t write emails in protest. If they did say that, I apologize for missing it. I think the point some were making is that if we don’t like other user groups bashing us, we should probably stop bashing them.  It cuts both ways.

Originally posted by Curveman:
 I heard on two hunts that no one should hunt with traditional archery as: "you'll have the deer looking like a pincushion before it dies." This, from hunters! (I was happy to prove them wrong).  
Well done. But is that really any different than what a lot of traditional bowhunters say about compound users? I think Bill Kissner said it best:

On the other hand though, I have never thought talking about compound shooters in a derogatory tone helps us promote our way. We come across as arrogant elitists and should keep it down.

Offline Bob G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
Well....Now you guys know how we cavemen feel every time we see the GEICO ad. Welcome to my world.   :wavey:
"No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
It is what it is, I didn't see the commercial.  I don't think they should have put it out and I'm glad some folks on here responded accordingly.  
But as far as the bashing goes, I've got a few hunting buddies who hunt with compounds and I have to say I usually take alot more than I give.

Ethan

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
Well, I just got off the phone talking with
Cabela's...I ordered some red long-johns.

Now I'm gonna git me a beer, it's F®íÐÅ¥ !!!!

:bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »
Ethan teasing among friends is one thing, I am called all kinds of things by my friends that are not true and I give it back.  that is supposed to be fun.  But getting on a public website and calling a group of people a bunch of lazy, unethical, slobs who don't have what it takes to shoot a real bow and rely on every new product on the market because they don't have the woodsmanship skills to kill effectively is a whole nother thing. It makes both groups look bad.  I'm not saying you do that but it gets stated pretty regular.  I will try to stop preaching now.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
I'l have one of those beers old york it is friday buddy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©