3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String questions from a new guy  (Read 202 times)

Offline Rage N Woodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
String questions from a new guy
« on: July 17, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
Hey guys...ya'll will probably see a lot of these.  Basically I'm trying to learn traditional archery on my own and know no-one here locally to ask.  So I joined this forum to bug ya'll

My question is this:

one:  I would like a back up string so how do i order one?  Do i use the measurement of the bow or the measurement of my current string?  I bought a used bow online and it did come with two...I have been shooting the one outfitted with silencers  but the other is actually newer but is longer???  I may have just got a too long string.

two:  What type string do you recommend?  I can shoot fast flight, is that worth it?

Also...how do i insert string silencers?  would somebody know of a sight that has a howto video clip?

Really new so any help would be appreciated.

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String questions from a new guy
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
I think 3rivers has videos on how to install string silencers,just click on the type of silencer you have or want to use and they will show you!! as far as  your other questions you will need to tell us more about your bow, type recurve or longbow,amo lenght, bow made by??  And welcome to the gang!!! Jim
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline Rage N Woodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
Its a Martin Hatfield  TD recurve 40# @ 28 62"

Thanks!

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
How much to long? you may just need to put some twists in that new one.  I am not going to pretend to know much about strings though because I just had a tradganger help me find the correct string for my bow.  If you tell us what it is I bet someone could tell you what you need.

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
Usually you order them by the AMO length.  That would be 62" in your case.  The actual string will be somewhat shorter than that -- usually three to four inches.

Mo has it on the string.  If it is close to the same length, you can just twist it up a little to make it shorter, but you don't want to twist it too much.  Somebody who knows more than me can tell you how many twists is too much.  I'll just say that if it is as twisted as a "barber pole" it has too many.

As to whether it's worth it for Fast Flight, you'll get lots of opinions on here.  For my two cents, I'd say that the amount you gain in speed won't be noticable to a new shooter and so I wouldn't do it.  But then again, I only shoot B50 anyway and make my own strings, so what do I know?

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
"I would like a back up string so how do i order one? Do i use the measurement of the bow or the measurement of my current string?"

Depends on who you are ordering from.  Personally, I prefer the actual string length.  AMO says 3" shorter for longbow or recurve, but a lot of bows don't follow AMO specs.

"I bought a used bow online and it did come with two...I have been shooting the one outfitted with silencers but the other is actually newer but is longer??? I may have just got a too long string."

If it's a lot too long, you got the wrong string.  If it's a little too long, you can twist it up.

"What type string do you recommend? I can shoot fast flight, is that worth it?"

I like Dynaflight '97 or 8125--both are "fast flight" type materials.  I think they are well worth it.  The speed difference doesn't matter to me--I'd use them if they were slower.  The difference that matters to me is the lack of stretch/creep and increased durability.

Keep in mind that you need your back-up string to be the same material, strand count, etc. as the primary string.  There can be enough difference in the two to need to re-tune the bow, or even change arrows or at least point weight.

Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©