3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lone Wolf Assault Feedback  (Read 306 times)

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Lone Wolf Assault Feedback
« on: July 17, 2009, 05:33:00 PM »
I realize this has probably been addressed before but, I was wondering if any Assault users could give me their thoughts on ease of use on this stand? Appreciate anything.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline PAINTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lone Wolf Assault Feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
I have an assault and the the pre-assault (the original Lone Wolf Stand)  I've used them for the last 18 yrs or so.  They are quiet, light and solid.  There may be stands that are as good but it is hard to imagine any better.  I use mine as a pack frame (with Army surplus pack straps permanently attached.  I then bungee my day pack to the stand.  I think the back straps help camo it, they kind of break-up it's outline.  I've taken over 30 deer out of my Lone Wolves.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
The only difference between the Assault and the Alpha Hang On is about an inch and a half off the front edge and on the Assault the back corners of the platform (That part outside the cables) is gone. As are the holes to stick brush into.
I think the seat is a bit smaller too.
All in all the only times you'll see any difference is packing it and hanging it in a tree that is heavily limbed, such as a cedar.
In my opinion the Assault wins in both cases.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »
Appreciate the info fellas. Are you using the Lone Wolf climbing sticks also? I am thinking of picking up this outfit this weekend for the upcoming hunting season next month. I have an area that I am planning on hunting in and I think this method will work real well there.

Offline 2madjacks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »
I don't have ethier of the stands but have been considering one.  I did buy the climbing sticks last season and can't imagine hunting without them again. Those things are easy to set up and tighten up nice and quiet when not in use.  My two cents.

James

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
I have the Alpha and like it a lot.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline schlaggerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
I have an Alpha and two Assaults. I prefer the Assault because it is lighter in weight which makes it easier to hang. The absolute quietest stands you can buy. When you hunt in snow and sub-freezing temps you find out real quick how quiet your stand is. Also they are very stable stands. I don't miss the extra size of the Alpha stand, I do miss the holes the Alpha has for sticking brush into to camo yourself.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
I hunted the original for a few years and loved it then sold it because I didn't think I need to pack one much anymore due to hunting area changes.  I use a lot of baby gorillas and love those stands to hang out all season.  I have extra stick ladders set out to move stands around a little without moving ladders when needed.  Last season I really missed the LW for quick hunts on pre set stick ladders.  Moving the other stands just is not as easy as the LW with the easy hang bracket and lighter weight.  

My old LW didn't have the bat wing bracket and had the old seat leveler button without as much adjustment.  It also had the thicker pad, which I personally didn’t like as much as the thinner one.  I stand a lot so setting for a lot of hours is not a big issue.  I hunted the old stand a few time from dark to dark and I felt is was comfortable and had enough room for me to manage on it that long.  

This winter I tracked down a complete used once assault for a great price. I have not hunted it yet, but I sat it up off the ground to try it out and I like it.  Can’t wait to hunt it this year.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
I have three Assaults.  Like their portability, stability and quietness.  Alpha is an excellent stand as well, but I've just never needed the extra space, which comes at a price of a few more pounds.  Climbing sticks are also top notch.  Been using both for about 8 years, plus a LW hand climber.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
I am the exact opposite.  I have an Assault and an Alpha.  I really prefer the Alpha if it is going to be a long day in the stand.  I know it is a couple more pounds but the comfort is worth in on a long day.  I use the Assualt only if I am going into a deep area for a short 3 to 4 hours sit.  Anything longer or closer I take the Alpha.  That aside they are quiet, light and excellent stands that are a snap to put up and down with the sticks. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
All I use. . . one outfit.  I attach the sticks to foam blocks that strap on the stand.  I climb up the tree one time, set the stand, and I am hunting.  Takes less than 7-8 minutes, quiet, and I am portable all the time.  Rarely hunt the same tree twice.

I actually made a video on the entire procedure.  Not sure how to post it, but if anyone could ever coach me on editing and posting it I would.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
Dan, could you just email me the video for now? I've pretty much made up my mind now but, would like to see how you do it.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »
I have Alpha and the sticks - both are nice, the stand base is NOT slippery, fast going up and takes a little to put away correctly. The seat cushion is appropriate although I have stand with more comfy cushions (although the design allows it to be folded the way it folds)

Offline ishisaxton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 08:15:00 AM »
I have two Assaults, the Hand Climber and the three sets of LW sticks.  All are easy to use and extremely reliable products.  I am sure you will be more than satisfied.  I can't imagine going hunting without them.
Michael

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
I have an Alpha and a Handclimber.  

To me, the platform on the Alpha is just huge.  It's the same platform on the Handclimber, but it doesn't feel as big for some reason.

At the time I bought my Alpha, the Assault didn't have the offset bracket or the leveling system on it, the ones out now do.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with the assault over the Alpha - and if I could only have one, it'd be the Handclimber.
Support the sport!

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
I have one each of the Assault, Alpha and the Elite. To me it's a toss up between the Alpha and the Assault. Like someone mentioned the Assault is lighter in weight, and smaller in back so less likely to interfere with limbs etc.
When you consider usable square inches inside the cables, the Assault does not give up as much as you would think from looking at the spec's
If a guy is setting naked on a power pole I like the Alpha because of the pockets for adding camo.
I use  the Elite where I can drive to the tree and I don't intend on pulling it when I leave.
I use  4 sticks and pack them on the stand with std LW hardware.. I can be up and into a tree  in about ten minutes.
There is a trick in keeping the buckles quite, but once you figure it out, they are quieter than you are.
I use some old Summit platforms as well and fabricated myself a LW Tree seat out of spare parts.
Very similar to the one shown on their website.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©