3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rain Gear  (Read 549 times)

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
Rain Gear
« on: July 21, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
I'm sure this has been hashed out before but I couldn't find it through the search function. Anyway, I'm considering picking up a rain jacket seeing as how I HATE being wet. I need something quiet and of course waterproof, but I can't afford Sitka gear or anything else in that price range. I want to be dry in a pretty good down pour, and I'm not worried about warmth as this would be an outer layer. Did I mention it needs to be quiet?

SO...what are your suggestions?
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rain Gear
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
here's one-cheap, too.  I take the shower cap from the motel and use them to put over my binos or fletching in sudden storms.  They easily fit in the pocket of a pack.
if they get destroyed, next trip to a motel...but if you ask, most will just give you one
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline groyce

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
Peter Storm

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
Anyone who hunts from a treestand should have a treestand umbrella.

Priceless!

Offline nurayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »
HH Impertech

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
The Space Rain set from Cabelas is great for lightweight and packable.  I use that on all my backpack hunts.  

If you wants silent and waterproof without paying much I think you want a unicorn, however the space rain set is pretty dang near perfect for what I do.

For light rain my usual hunting duds can take that.  When it gets real wet, or rains a long time I thrown on the space rain set and sit there and wait for it to pass, hopefully in a spot I can glass from.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline beauhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
HH impertec works up here in AK.
Pronghorn 58" 53@28
Silvertip 62" 58@29
Red Wing hunter 58" 45@28
Marin Bamboo Viper 64" 65@28

Offline Glenn Hickey Jr.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
I have found nothing better and more versitile than a good military poncho.  The one I am using now I think is Swedish Military, very well made but the camo pattern has some red hues in it.  The handy thing about a poncho is you can get you bow and fletcing under it for extra protection.
Father, Glorify Thyself..
at my expense...
and send me the bill.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
Natural Gear jacket and pants.   :thumbsup:
lll

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
I agree with Cabelas Space Rain suit for backpack trips and hunts I also like my Go Lite poncho.

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »
I will 3rd the (HH) Helly Hansen Impertech! Used it in AK and I use it here. You will stay dry!
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
I have a set of the cabelas stuffable rain gear. I think the top and bottom total around $140. It stuffs into a pouch the size of a soda can. Weighs next to nothing, pretty quiet.

Thing about rain gear and quiet is, the woods are rarely quiet when its raining. I have never had a deer spook from rain gear making a little rustling sound. With billions of raindrops crashing into leaves, theres plenty of background noise. Go with what keeps you dry.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
I understand that guys who are on a out of state trip...Alaska, out west...etc...will want quality gear to stay dry for the entire hunt. But if we are talking about hunting deer locally, I don't use rain gear at all. I may have a poncho somewhere in the bottom of my bag or in the truck, but thats just to keep me dry on my way out of the woods. If it's raining hard enough for rain gear, blood trails will be non existant. I don't want any part of that.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »
Poncho +1

If you are still wearing it when you need to shoot, just flip it over your shoulder al la Clint Eastwood and let 'em fly.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »
Yeah I know the terms cheap, waterproof, and quiet are almost mutually exclusive. Thanks for the help...the more ideas the better!
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
I like the impertech stuff...did you all go with the camo or the regular green (which happens to be on sale).
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
Rivers West.  It's not cheap, but I've yet to find anything that is as quiet and waterproof on the market.

That said - don't run a marathon in it - you'll cook yourself to death (eg, the material doesn't breath)
Support the sport!

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 10:38:00 PM »
I like knee leanth rain liners from WWII knee leanth coats have used these for 30 years.Roll up twice as big as most but nice in a down pour.Not to big for a pack.Only down fall is no hood need a good hat.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline BlackDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 11:40:00 PM »
I've got the space rain stuff from Cabelas and it is pretty quiet and easy to pack. I have to say the Natural Gear uninsulated parka has a slight edge on it for noise though. Have used it for years waterfowl hunting and never let me down, great jacket.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 12:10:00 AM »
I hunt on the ground and always on the move. None of the 'rain gear' I have used works very well for active hunting-it just does not breathe well enough.
Wool works pretty good for me even in the rain, and it breathes.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©