3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quartering away shots on whitetails?  (Read 503 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Quartering away shots on whitetails?
« on: July 21, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
I have heard alot of people say that quartering away shots are best for whitetails.  I have to disagree with that one.  Maybe it's just me, but I would rather have a broadside shot any day.  I will take quartering away shots but only when the animal is close.  I think one problem that people have with quartering away shots is that they shoot to far FORWARD.  I shot a doe last season that was quartering away pretty hard, but she was VERY close and I was hidden in a low treestand.  I shot her right behind the last rib, and the arrow came out right behind the foreleg on the opposite side.  I had the doe in the back of my truck, and somebody remarked about how lucky I got because the shot was so bad.  He was looking at the entrance hole. I flipped the deer over and showed him the exit and he said "good shot"!  Still I don't really like quartering away shots.  What about you guys?

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quartering away shots on whitetails?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
I've sure taken a lot of critters with a quartering away shots. I also won't hesitate to take one if I think the situation might not get any better.. If it looks like I'll get a broadside shot I might wait.. Killed a few where the angle was severe and I hit them right in front of the ham and had the broadhead wind up in the heart area.. They don't go very far..

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
If they offer it I'll take it...what ever I'm confident in is what i will take.  

I move my 3D targets around all the time and shoot them from every angle and height from the most quartering away to the most sever quartering towards and make sure I'm proficient from all angles/heights.

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »
Just depends I guess on the deer's body language.  Keep it close and I think you'll be fine.  On an elk it's a different matter.  Broadside only!

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »
I don't like them Jon, so I agree with you.  You are more likely to only take out one lung than two, so you can be in for a long tracking job.  Also, you can lodge in heavier bone and gristle on the exit, and possibly not get an exit cut.

Lots of guys like that shot, but you better be accurate and know the critter's vitals and exactly where they are, compared to your angle.
If it doesn't feel right, I won't take the shot; even if it may be the only shot that I will get.
Desperation is never a good reason.

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
Very slight quartering away shots are ok - but I'm like Jon and George and like broadside better.

Hard quartering away shots are tough - you don't have much margin for error left to right on those...

Kinda like George said, I don't mind passing on a shot thats not high percentage for me - and hard quartering is not.
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
Broadside  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
I like broadside, but I sure like a quartering away as well......as long as it's not too much....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
Well I gotta go for the quartering away. First off the deer is really past you, and is less apt to catch you coming to draw.(Less apt to jump the string)
Second, I have had troubles with hitting shoulders over the years, and the quartering away, gets you further away from the heavy bone on the entrance side of things (Two holes are nice, but one will work).
Third I do not like a hard quartering away where a straight line to the off side knee gets you close to the ham. If the entrance is in the short rib area, you will get both lungs, no problem.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
Yes, Broadside is best but I made one of the best text book shots ever on a hard quartering away shot on a 6 point buck at about 10yds. Went in right in the crease between his ham and last rib, ( waist) and came out right in front of his right shoulder. He went 20yds and was done ! Found 6 inches of arrow and the broadhead laying right where I shot him. Still remember looking at the rest of the arrow inside his rib cage while field dressing him and thinking WOW ! The reason I took that shot was it was 10yds and I knew I could put that arrow right where I was aiming. Confidence is king.

At the same time I will also admit my STUPID mistakes of several slightly quartering to me shots that I took and lost the animal. Just got opening day jitters and did not wait for the best shot. The older I get and the more I hunt I realize that it is better to remain calm and just let them mill around till the perfect shot comes up. The next time a deer comes in that you are not going to shoot just imagine you would and then count how many better shots you would have got from the time you first imagined you would have shot. I bet my hat that a better shot presented itself than when you would have first taken a shot. The exception to that is a buck walking / cruising for does. Bucks seem to always have a purpose to life and are on a mission. Most times you gotta make a sound to get them to stop or you will not even get a still shot.  

My son and I were hunting last year during the rut and 3 deer came running in, a buck chasing two does. He wanted to shoot several times but I held him back till he got a chip shot at 10 yds. Before he shot it was a circus with deer flying by our trees round and round. I told him that they would give us a better shot if he just waited. I know it is hard to wait, but take my advise and don't be stupid like I have and lost deer in the past. It is a sickening feeling and nothing worse in my book. I hate to lose one !!!Yes I will take a quartering away if it is close and I am totally confident I can make it. I will NEVER take another quartering to me shot. Not worth it. JMHO

nocams  :banghead:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »
I like a SLIGHTLY quartering away shot as the kill zone is a hair bigger and it keeps you away from heavy bone when shooting from a tree stand.
BUT they have to be close for me to take them!

I'm lowering my poundage ,but think I will get more draw from the lower poundage when a deer is close to me and I'm shooting steeper angles.

I just like close slam dunk shots under 18 yards and farther than 6 yards  :)

I shot a buck a few year ago standing 11 yards away almost straight away, I shot him high in the soft spot between the last ribs and the hip. It came out between the front leggs in the front. I watched him go down in 20 yards with a 53# recurve.

If I feel confident in the shot I will take it , if not they walk. I'm picky on shot selection, that's why it takes me longer to feel tags than most people, but on the upside I get to hunt longer  :)

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »
When in close quarters and moving into a shot while afoot, taking a steep quartering away shot on a whitetail is one of my all time favorites.  From that angle, you are in the deer's blind spot and the deer will be far less likely to detect your movement.  This is one of the better time tested techniques for hunting whitetail afoot with a stickbow.  The Grizzly was invented by Elburg for this very shot as it was his favorite technique for ground hunting whitetail with his flatbow.

No question that broadside exposes a maximum percentage of heart and lungs when afoot, but from this angle you are within the deer's range of vision and it becomes far more difficult to move into the shot when afoot at close quarters without the deer detecting your movement.  Once the deer detects your movement, even a broadside chip shot can become a miss as the deer can drop its entire body height, wheel around, and leap off for parts unknown before a stickbow arrow can cover 15 yards.  When on the ground at close quarters, I normally reserve broadside for when I'm completely stationary in an ambush position, and then I'm very picky at choosing the right moment to execute the shot.  I normally wait for the deer to multi-task such as when browsing or tending a doe while taking a step with only three legs planted.  Any of these techniques can be highly productive if employed correctly to best take advantage of the deer's weaknesses as long as you can properly execute an efficient well aimed shot.  Remember that when you execute such shot presentations, you must aim for the proper exit.

Best

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
Oh yeah, one more argument about quartering away and quartering too....... Some have said, "heck what is the difference, arrow path is the same just reversed ?"

Big diff to me is quartering too you have to encounter possibly that shoulder blade on entrance. Could stop penetration cold or deflect the arrow outside the ribcage along the deer's side making for a nasty wound. With a quartering away at the most all you have is ribs. Also if you hit a little too far back as the arrow drives deeper it is heading toward the vitals, NOT away from them like a quartering too shot. Those just get worse if you shot too far back on an animal. JMHO

nocams  :readit:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
Here is the entrance.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
Here is the exit.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
I must like quartering shots as I look thru photos I see I have many quartering shots including this Halloween buck  :)  He came in on the move and I shot him from a high tree stand at 14 yards slightly quartering away beteewn the last 2 ribs and exited near the arm pit on the coming out side. I know is is no monster compared to some of you guys deer but that is what we have here in WV. I watched in go down in the grapevines in the picture  :)

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »
I tend to wait for a slightly quartering away unless the animal's view (of me) is obstructed in some way when it's broadside.  A lot of my broadheads end up in the offside leg when they don't go through it.  In short, I'll take either one.  Tend to pass on the extreme quartering away though.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
I will add.....

I don't think there's such a thing as "being proficient" with a quartering toward angle.....

That is a shot that should never be considered unless you have to get another arrow into an already wounded critter...then all bets are off...

I know can and has been done....but it's just asking for trouble!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »
I agree Curt quartering toward angle is not an option.

Many of the quartering away shots tend to hit the off side leg which is a bad thing as 2 holes are not acheived sometimes making tracking diffucult .

Penetration is the answer on these shots!

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
I prefer a quartering away shot over the broadside. but will take both anyday as for the quartering toward i do not take those shots I get nervous about penetration
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©