3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you decide on which bow to hunt with.  (Read 1071 times)

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you decide on which bow to hunt with.
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
i am with guru..i own two bows...both are hoyt gamemaster2's...so the feel is the same and they are setup the same. one is 44#( my go-to)and one is 52#( my backup). they dont shoot the same arrows but my gaps are very close to the same, so it works great. pick one and shoot it exclusively, even if you gap shoot like i do. you will get to know everything about that one bow.

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
I agree with Guru also. Save your money togo hunting instead of buying more bows.
With that being said, I have three custom bows (all three bought when I was single, now I am happily married with two kids). A Robertson Falcon, and two Craig Potter St. Joe River Bows.
I love the St. Joe bows, and these would be the only two I would shoot. Like Guru's set up one is lighter then the other, but they shoot the exact same, and actually shoot the same arrow.
However,this year I am exclusively shooting my Robertson. Great bow, I do really enjoy shooting it. This is the only bow I have that is a takedown, and I am planning a moose hunt in Alaska in 2010. If either of the St Joe's were takedowns, I would sell the Robertson, and use the money for another hunt!

chris <><

Offline jmc334

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
Choice is yours, flip a coin, pick one or not. I have 4 and use them all. If you develop a favorite the search will be over otherwise take which one you feel like that day.

John

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
I'm with Guru. I may never buy another bow. I want to hunt everywhere!   :D
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
Hi All,

Life is simple, I have my first bow (circa 1960) in the closet, it's too old and beat up to shoot.  I have my second bow (circa 1972) in the closet with the first, it was damaged in a move.  My last bow (circa 2007) is on the rack in the bedroom.   So, I go to the bedroom and pick it up!!  

Okay....I'm a smart-butt.....couldn't resist.    :)
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
I have a Montana which is my Rabbit hunting bow, a Deer hunting bow that I'm shooting very well which is a Mohawk. Yesterday I went and ordered a Big River Longbow that I assuming I'm going to shoot pretty good if I shoot it half as good as the ones I was test driving this past weekend. I'm set I think with bows for a while!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
I hunted all of last year and into the spring with one bow, but I am now on the horns of a dilemma; I have a Mark Baker selfbow and a Ted Fry selfbow that I have been alternating all summer; both shoot great. I guess both will get their chances come hunting season. All I need now is a cooperative elk to stand broadside.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
I,m with Guru. Shot 2 identical Mahaska recurves for 12 years.Sold one and got a Thunderstick Mag longbow.The Mahaska is now my backup.I'm   a one bow guy,my longbow. The only thing I'm going to do is sell the Mahaska and get another Thunderstick!Ilove identical bows.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
I've got a pair of Shawnees that are almost identical other than to look at them.  One is 60# and the other is 64#.  They are my "GoTo" bows when hunting rolls around.

BUT... I like shooting all of my bows.  They don't stay unless they shoot well for me.  I'd sell them all in a heartbeat (other than the two Shawnee's I mentioned up top) if I could get more vacation time to go hunt with them.  Weekend or day outings around home may have me with any of one of my bows, but more often than not I'm carrying the 60# Shawnee as it has been very good to me.
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 12:22:00 AM »
If ur with Guru, you may never find the best bow for you. I hav 1 or 2 favorites, but am always lookn for another that fits me better. I buy one each year and if it's not betr for me than the others, I sell it. I am very selective and sell most.
BD

Offline unclewhit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 04:16:00 AM »
This year I'm huntin' with the bow that does'nt have any blood on it yet (Cept' mine of course). The "Tembo" will be my go to bow and my Silvertip will be my back-up. It only takes me a short practice round to adjust for the poundage difference. I've been shooting both alot this year.
unclewhit
Bob lee signature series
Schafer Silvertip
Howard Hill "Tembo"

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 04:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by BD:
If ur with Guru, you may never find the best bow for you. I hav 1 or 2 favorites, but am always lookn for another that fits me better. I buy one each year and if it's not betr for me than the others, I sell it. I am very selective and sell most.
If your with BD you may never find the perfect bow.      :D     I have a friend who buys a bow, exclaims it's greatness for a while, invariably finds something lacking in it, then sells that to buy an even better bow he again swears is "the best bow ever!" then...you get the idea! He must've bought well over a hundred by now but promises to settle when he finds the best one for him! I know guys who have had several marriages by the same logic!      :biglaugh:
NRA Life Member

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2009, 06:33:00 AM »
:rolleyes:     :knothead:  

Good one  Curve    :biglaugh:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
I'm with Curt's first post. I had the bow bug for a long time. I think it's a little ridiculous now. I will always love trying them all, it's fun. But always switching around, spending all that money, and constantly fooling yourself... "[dntthnk]"

Find one you like to shoot, can shoot acurately, pleasing to your eye, and confident with. Done! Now move on to more important things in life.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
I hate to be the odd duck out or in on this one I guess you might say.I kind of agree and disagree with everyone.Is that like I agree to disagree with myself ?
I've been a shooter hunter & collecter of fine bows for many years and you better believe I've loved em all at one time or another for one reason or another.
Some were smoken fast some were whisper quiet some had wood so beautiful you would almost trade your first born son to get that bow.I've loved em all and they all shot like a bow for me from the 1940 Grum's to a 2007 Black Widow I shot a few days ago I love em all.Hell I love everything about all bows.
The one or two bow guy's maybe do shoot a little better then some other folks.I believe one reason or some of the reason is because they are friendly with their archery tackle on a daily bases both with their bows and arrows.That really helps make them guy's great shooters and we all know if you got 30 bows your gonna need 30 different arrows to match those 30 bows.Where as the one or two bow guy matches arrows to bow and goes hunting.I love to hate that guy sometimes.
The guy's with lots of bows maybe have enjoied the pure pleasure of sampling some of the finers in life that some folks have not.I love em all from the early Grum's to the Wid's and yes even the foam core type bows built nowadays are super shooters.
With that all said to answer your question.This year because one of my bow of many was having its 50th birthday yes thats correct it's turning 50 years old this year thats why I choose it.The mighty 1959 Bear Kodiak...great thread bd

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
True Curve-I agree that switching too much is not a good thing, but that experimenting some is a good thing also.
BD

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2009, 12:21:00 PM »
I am fortunate that the 2 bows I own shoot the same for me.Both shoot the same arrows. I would feel confidant bringing either of them hunting. Last year I chose to hunt only with my TS Mag. I chose it because it is shorter and easier to handle in the natural ground blinds that I hunt from. The finish on this bow is better suited for my hunting that the bright colored Turkey Creek I have.

This year I think the TS Mag is my go to bow and the Turkey Creek is my back up bow.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
Most of my bows are older than most of the tradgangers 8^).

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
"...I've loved em all and they all shot like a bow for me..."

..."Where as the one or two bow guy matches arrows to bow and goes hunting.I love to hate that guy sometimes...."

Hey doc, I just had to highlight some quotables!   :D  

I agree that experimenting is important and I also think collecting is cool and if I had the dough I would collect all kinds of crap. In fact I do collect all kinds of crap but none of it has any monetary value!    :biglaugh:   Man, ALL this trangang related stuff is fun!!!   :D
NRA Life Member

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2009, 12:50:00 PM »
One of the worst things I ever did was order 2 custom bows at once. This is an embarrassment of riches, to be sure, but I never was able to decide which one to concentrate on and thus went back to an older bow I was confident with for that season. I think we all have had the experience of feeling that we're shooting well with a particular bow at a particular time, which breeds confidence, and the bow that I feel the most comfort with is the one I will choose for hunting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©