3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you decide on which bow to hunt with.  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you decide on which bow to hunt with.
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
I currently have seven bows in my "arsenal" but shoot only one over eighty percent of the time and two that I divide the remaining twenty percent between. All the bows are within five pounds or so so I can use the same arrows. Five of these are very similar in design and performance so its not too bad to switch around. These five are also forty years old plus or minus a year or two. Even if I take one "off the bench" there isn't much for me to adapt to. The two bows that fall outside that group of familiars don't see much action because they feel radically different and the chance of me shooting anything as much as I do my old styleI takedown is pretty much nil unless my old Number One gives it up.                  Grant

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
I get bored shooting the same bow more than a few days. I switch bows every few days or as the mood strikes me. I usually decide a couple weeks ahead which bow I will use at an upcoming shoot.  At the ETAR this weekend I'll be shooting my Thunderhorn. This evening I hunted groundhogs with my Grizzly. I shot stumps the other day with my Abbott longbow.

If my shooting suffers a bit I don't mind. My goal is to shoot all bows well, not one bow great.

I usually settle down and pick a bow over the Labor Day weekend that I plan to use for the upcoming deer season. I'll shoot that bow exclusivly until the season ends.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2009, 01:51:00 AM »
well let me see oh yeah just close ya eyes and grab one its that easy.  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :jumper:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2009, 03:15:00 AM »
I only have the 1 so it is an easy choice.  It is much better to just have 1 and master it than 20 and be the master of none.  Same as with firearms!
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2009, 04:52:00 AM »
The great one (Howard Hill) strongly believed that if a guy would shoot just one bow, he could get great with it.  That said, it is hard to do this day and age, with so many great bows out there for shooting and hunting.  For me, it usually comes up with the qay I feel before season.  I have given away my past blood sticks, to nephew's and niece's for them to add to the bows legacy.  So there is always a new one on the horizon.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
It's easy for me, since I have to travel (fly) to hunt, my bow needs to be a T/D and I only have one, a Pronghorn.  It's fun to shoot other bows though and someday I'll order a custom built for me.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
 My goal is to shoot all bows well, not one bow great.
That...I will never understand.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
Simple for me, both my recurves are from the same bowyer and identical with just a 1 pound weight difference. I sold all the rest.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
I got 8 bows now and all the grips are very similar and the weight range is within 5 pounds.I got 4 different size arrows (2016s,2018s,2115s and 2020) I use and can easily find one size that will fit any of the bows.I do not find that thier is that much of adjustmant for me personally with any of these bows when I switch.A day or 2 with it and I am comfortable.

I guess i am like bowdoc and really love bows for display,aesthetics and enjoy shooting different styles and models.

I always settle on one bow for hunting season and the rest sit on the rack for about 4 or 5 months.So for that time frame I am a one bow man.Then the fun begins with mixing it up again.Variety is the spice of life for me.I am having a blast shooting a variety of bows this summer.Its always interesting to pick a new one of the rack and see what it can do and what qualities it has that I enjoy and they all have attributes that I like and or love.

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
I don't know. I have 0 bows now but one on the way.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
I have a bunch of bows...some collectors, some shooters, and some for sentimental reasons.

Three years ago I was lucky enough to kill five deer with five different recurves and longbows.  I practiced with those bows, felt comfortable with them, and most important, took very close shots in order to insure success.  It is not typical for me to use that many bows in a season as I do think it is difficult to switch between multiple bows.

What is typical for me is to pick a few bows to start practicing with in the Spring.  After a few rounds with each bow, I decide on two bows to become my primary and backup for the season.  They have to shoot the same arrow, have the same "feel", and have the same cast.  That way, I can confidently use my backup bow if necessary without adjusting my shot or grip.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Wallcrawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
Be wary of the man with a house full of bows, fear the man with only one.

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
This is a question I've been thinking of for the last few weeks as I just started shooting a couple of months ago and have never hunted before - sadly at 27 years of age.

Through a lot of trial and error I've found something that works for me: Old 62" Ben Pearson Cougars/Pumas. I've got 3 - all within a few pounds of each other and the risers are all identical.

I haven't figured out which one to hunt with yet. I shoot all about the same with the same 31" 2018 XX75s.

I'm leaning towards my Puma right now. Its a 40# and seems to have a little more energy than the other two.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
I never do decide on one bow.  :D  

I hunt with at least 3 during the season.Sometimes more.I will start out this year with a Gamemaster recurve and a short bamboo/osage bow.Carbon arrows on one and cane on the other.Some days I will likely use both bows.I also have a real tight blind that I will use a compound in when I hunt that spot.To me it ain't about the bow that much. It is about useing what I like for different situations.I can shoot anything well enough to hunt with it.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
Since I am able to get several deer tags, I often will use one bow to fill a tag and then switch to another bow for another tag.  These are all bows I shoot regularly and feel confident in.

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2009, 12:09:00 AM »
I have so many bows that I have to do the old...Eaney, meaney, miney,.....BOW!
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©