3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Airline Travel  (Read 1197 times)

Offline bucksakemmer

• Trad Bowhunter
Airline Travel
« on: July 21, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
When traveling by air with a three piece longbow, do you have to check it as baggage or can you take in on board, or has anyone UPS'ed it ahead.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Airline Travel
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
You must put it in your checked luggage.  No way will they let you carry it on.  You do not need to declare it like a firearm though.

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 10:07:00 AM »
Like said above check baggage. So far no problems I put the bow in its case down in my bag along with a tube of arrows with sharp written in big letters on the outside. I UPS my stuff once ahead of time and they lost the package for 3 days.....stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
i MANAGE AN AIRPORT AND CAN ASK THE HEAD OF dhs IN dc FOR THE OFFICIAL RULING.  wE ONLY RUN SMALL PLANES HERE SO IT IS NOT A PROBLEM-BOWS, ARROWS, GUNS OR KNIVES-IT'S YOUR PLANE CARRY WHAT YOU WANT....
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Wickles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »
I'm also interested in this, I'm flying to British Columbia in Sep. I normally check a bow case but I'm trying to cut down on # of bags. Can I just put my bow in my checked bag and let it go or do I need to tell them it's in there?

I've UPSed stuff in the past with no problems.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
I use a superb longbow hard case by Viking Voyageur when flying to bowhunt.. I've flown alot using these with never any issues..

Kustom King, The Nocking Point both sell these cases.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
Archery equipment doesn't need to be declared like firearms do. I would suggest checking with your airline to be sure of what they require.

I've been around the airlines for over 20 years, and can tell you that a lot of times the agents that are checking you in don't even know how to handle it.

Best if you have official word from their 1-800 #, so you show on travel day well informed.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »
I use a custom made ICC aluminum case that holds two Black Widow 60" PAX's, two dozen arrows and some small equipment. It uses the locking rod and a case hardened master lock that can't be cut by anything in an airport terminal so I have to make a point to arrange to be there when they inspect it, which is a good thing. I open it, they look, and I close and lock it for them. I have some buddies that I travel with that use cases for takedowns and they have been opened and the bow parts pulled out of the cut outs and just tossed back in case getting scratched up in the process. Nothing has ever come up missing but it is obvious that TSA employees have little regard for your property.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
Wickles,

I would tell them it is there. They will either pass you thru at customs or they will want to see it. I've had it happen both ways depending on the agent you get.

Last year when I was leaving Calgary the lady agent I had asked me what was my pupose for visiting Canada had been and I told her I was hunting. She said then where is your gun. I said I didn't have one I had a bow. She said then where is your bow. I said it is disassembled in my bag. She said get it out she wanted to see it. I had to completely empty my bag in order to comply. She then said she used to shoot archery when she was younger and just wanted to see what kind of bow I had that could fit in my duffle bag.
Jack Shanks

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 12:30:00 AM »
Inconvenience at not extra charge..... just another service they offer. What will they think of next?

I bet you were steamed Jack!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 07:38:00 AM »
No, not really.  I didn't get steamed until a few minutes later when I got to the boarding gate and found out my flight was delayed. Because of that I missed my connection in Chicago and had to spend the night there and didn't get home until the afternoon the next day.

Could of fried an egg my forehead.
Jack Shanks

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
i would never chance taking a bow into the cabin - cargo only.  

if i needed to hunt with a 1pc bow, i'd definitely wanna ship ahead.  td bows fly with me.  

i fly with a 2pc longbow (sometimes two of 'em), in a td sock, inside a heavy wall cardboard tube with plastic end caps (arrows in their own tube), tubes wrapped in hunting clothes inside a high denier nylon duffle.  no worries - unless yer bag gets lost.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
For a 1 pc you may as well ship it because the airlines are going to charge you 25.00 for an extra bag any how....stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 12:40:00 AM »
I flew to New Brunswick with a 1 piece longbow and 2 fly rods in a piece of 4" pvc with no problems, even with the ends in duct tape. Didnt charge any extra either, it counted as my second piece of luggage. Got some strange looks with it!!! It came flying out the door in Toronto. This was just last month.
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Wickles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the info

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
When you think about it, it is rediculous though if you had a takedown bow with no string and no arrows with it. I suppose one could use the riser as a billy club so we are once again forced to jump through the hoops.

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »
Will, I got my latest shipment of Wickles. By the way, if you folks haven't tried Wickles Pickles, they are the BEST pickles you can ever imagine. I'm addicted to them!

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
OK Gene I am a pickle addict also, so bad I will drink the juice. Where do I get Wickles Pickles?
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
This is getting WAY off topic, but save me a taste of those pickles Uncle Gene...please!

To get back on topic, you can carry your eqpt many ways in the belly of the plane;  ONLY in the belly of the plane in your checked luggage.  I usually have my broadheads mounted on the arrows in a seperate case.

I have used in the past a soft case in a duffle (scares me to death) or a hard sided golf club travel case (this works great with rifles too), but the following system utilizing a drop bottom rolling duffle has about 400,000 air miles on it and hasn't let me down yet.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©