3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Airline Travel  (Read 1196 times)

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Airline Travel
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
It is not cheap but the Pelican case for my takedown widow is perfect and airline proof.
I put my arrows in a cylindrical arrow case inside my large duffel and broadheads in small box inside the Pelican case.  Both will be checked bags.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2009, 12:10:00 AM »
www.wicklespickles.com   Clever, eh?

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
Thanks Gene.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
i brought home a take down 3 bit longbow and had it in my suitcase with a down pipe full of arrows and i put the points in a plastic box no problem at all even padlocked my bag. but my bag went to aussie and the dirty buggers there cut open the padlock and looked through every thing then zipped it up and sent it on the next plane back to New Zealand when it arrived the airport just sent it out to me. everything was there no damage to anything at all.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
Between the idiots and the thieves, I don't take them with me when I fly.  I ship them enough ahead of time that they'll be there waiting for me when I get there.  That way I can track them online, insure them and have some faith that they won't go to Florida while I'm going to Texas.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
I have started putting one bow/arrows with enough to hunt with in one bag and the same in another. Twice before I started doing this I lost hunting days. Since then I have had one bag show up one time. Saved my hunt.

Doug
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline Wickles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
Thanks Gene...I haven't been following this thread. I'm just packing my bow in a tube in my duffle with my clothes etc. Headed out Saturday for 10 days moose/black bear in N. BC! Good luck this season guys.

Offline Wickles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »
Shanks I'll let them know it's there, thanks.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
I just pack my arrow tube and bows in my duffle with my clothes.I pack clothes all around the bows as cushion. If I'm carrying rubber boots I slide each end of a bow into the boot. No broadheads on the arrows, pack them separately if possible.Some airlines are picky about that for some reason.

It's getting tough to pack for a hunt now with the baggage restrictions and costs for extra bags. I just spent an extra 190 to get my bags and 2 coolers( under 50lbs each)of  boned elk back to Fla.
DonD

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
Anybody know about taking sharpening stuff in your carry-on, i'm wondering if they'd allow a KME shapening kit.

thanks
Because hunting is a deep and permanent yearning in the human condition, there is a chronic fury in all people to whom it is denied.- Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Fred Walker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »
I just came back from Arkansas Rick Welch's school to Ontario Canada.  All packed in my suitcase told customs office he asked where my bow was told him in the suitcase he said enjoy.
Coming back no one asked.  All smooth way to go if you have a TD.
Happy shooting.
KawarthaTraditionalArchery.info

Offline Greg in Delton MI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
I think it was Rick McGowan who first suggested a golf club hard case. Some airline don't charge extra for them and you can stuff the crap out of them, yes you might get some odd looks at camp but they are very strong and you can pretty much pack every thing you need in one. I have two of them and have no regrets in using them. One is an SKB the other looks like it is carbon fiber.
Greg

Long as I can pull this bow
Long as I can hike the hills and walk among the trees
I keep on trying
My goals are high but I don't care
The fun is in the getting there, it justifies the end
So try, try again

Mark Baker, "Feathers thru the Wind"

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2009, 02:04:00 AM »
I just returned from 3 weeks in mn using a 2 piece longbow and a large arrow case.  I use a large duffle and put all of my good inside of this duffle, no seperate checked baggage fees...but somehow on my way home I'm always over weight by a "FEW" pounds even when I dont shoot a thing like this year haha...oh well.  

I leave my broadheads on my go to arrows in the arrow case and bring some extras stuck in a foam block...knives and even my favorite windproof lighter (thanks coop!).

Before 9-11, actually was the late late 90's I was carrying a bob lee 3 piece td as carry on...arrows and all, WITH broadheads DOH!   They didnt even bat an eye.

Offline JDVasos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »
Here is my story from two weeks ago.  We flew to Fort Hood Texas to do some bowhunting down near Bracketville on a freinds ranch.  When I got to the airport the baggage guy took my bag and box with two longbows and arrows inside and checked them in for me.  Cost 30 + 20 dollars for a total of 50 bucks.  Coming back the baggage gal puts a tape measure to my bow box and charges me 30 + 20 dollars and tacks on 100 dollars more for over size bag.  I argued how come it is oversize on the return trip but ok on the trip down?  Needless to say I was furious and will do everything in my power not to fly Continental because of this highway robbery job they did on me.  It would be cheaper to mail your bags down and back than deal with these crooks.

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
JD,

Did you fly Continental on the way down?
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
Flying Delta to Kansas next Saturday, just got finished reading all I could find on there site regarding baggage and travel in the US. Bow MUST be checked as baggage not carry on. Will charge me $20 for the first bag checked and $30 for the second if I can't meet the weight limit (50#) with one bag, if I check in at the ticket counter. I can pay bag fees online prior to going to the airport and save $5 per bag. They also list total length bag restrictions, length+width+height, 45" for carry on, 62" for checked or over sized fees will be charged. That is probably what JD ran into, that and somebody being efficient for the airlines.

Also if lady luck shines on me and I fill my whitetail tag and the antlers won't fit in my baggage there is a mere charge of $175! I will probably take my large duffel so they will fit in there. The points must be protected so I will probably pick up some pipe insulation tubing to take since I am thinking positively.

I wonder when they will begin charging for using the restroom? Of course it will need to accept credit cards.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2009, 03:22:00 AM »
you should rubber made those antlers and fedx them home...probably be 20times cheaper imho!

Offline revharry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
Flew Delta to Texas last week. On way back they decided the same two bags were oversize.  Wanted to charge me $300. Almost made me miss my flight. Finally charged me $265 plus $30 and $20 to check the bags. When I got home I found they had not liked the files I had in my LaCross boots so they tore the soles apart to see if there was anything inside. From now on I'll drive. I have done this trip for 6 years and each year it gets worse. No more flying for me. Harry

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
I sure  hope that you are getting a new pair of boots from them!
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline revharry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
The boots were one week old and no I won't get new pair from them. They put a  note in the bags telling me they are not responsible for damage.  They also pried apart the little water holders in my travel cigar humidor. All in the name of safety. Harry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©