3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Questions about alaska  (Read 644 times)

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
Questions about alaska
« on: July 21, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
I have some family members from alaska talking my wife and I into moving to the wasilla area. I understand the ability to do huge hunts in the bush for moose and such but my question is about smaller hunts.

Coming from Texas, what can be done for day hunts, or evening hunts?

I am a huge small game hunter so what is there to be done there?

And fishing? Is there year round fishing or is it seasonal? I always enjoyed fishing after work or on a saturday morning, is that an option?

Any opinions on this stuff?
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Questions about alaska
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 12:13:00 AM »
Day hunts of any quality are limited for big stuff.  Should be lots of grouse and snowshoe hare during the up cycles that can be done on weekends but will be dark after most people's day jobs in the winter.

Fishing this time of year will be as much as you can handle going sleep deprived since we have 20- hours of daylight right now!  In the winter you gotta cut a hole first, think in terms of 4-5-6 feet!

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 12:37:00 AM »
As a former full time resident and longstanding part time resident, I can tell you two things: Alaska at its best is hard to beat, and there is a reason why I don't live there full time anymore! Your question caught my interest as I have a number of friends who have decided to move north recently, and I'll tell you the same thing I've told them. With a few exceptions, hunting and fishing from the state's limited road system is going to be frustrating or worthless. I have more fun in Alaska now as a Montana resident than I did when I lived there... and I had my own Super Cub parked in my yard when I did. I really hate to sound negative, but if you are interested in hunting and fishing regularly after work you are likely to be disappointed. Don

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 12:48:00 AM »
I agree with Don!  I have 5 big game animal species visible from my house BUT can only realistically hunt ONE of them cause of limited tags/opportunities.

Is very expensive and difficult to access quality hunting.

Offline homerdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 12:57:00 AM »
we are generally in an "up " cycle for hares right now, so there will be lots for a couple years, then fewer, and won't peak again for 7-11 more years.
i'll tell you, if i were to pick a place to live just for hunting opportunities it would be a toss-up between hawaii and montana .... sure wouldn't be here... (but i ain't ever leaving, either     :jumper:  )
tell me how close you got, not how far you shot

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 02:32:00 AM »
Day hunts for deer and bears in the Southeastern part of the state are possible for the ambitious hunter that owns a skiff.

Hunts for moose, sheep, caribou, etc. tend to get much more involved but they don't have to be expensive fly-out hunts.  A whitewater raft or hardcore hiking legs and some careful planning can get you into hunting country that other hunters won't go.

Fishing is seasonal, roughly May- September.

Oh and I can hunt 5 big game animals (deer, black bear, brown bear, goat, moose) from my house and I don't have to draw a tag.

Offline nurayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
I moved up there in 06 and came back in a year and a half.  Definately not what you expect.  You can hunt all you want for bear and small game around there, but everything else is a major undertaking.

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
If it was just up to me it would be north western montana or northern idaho for the hunting and fishing... but my wife wants to live near family and all of her family just moved from montana. So Alaska or oklahoma for us right now... i would love to just experience alaska even if its just for a few years to learn a about a new place.
Combo Hunter 46@28

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »
I just need to be able to keep myself busy outside, fishing, trapping, hunting, hiking, canoing... if i can find different things to do around the calender i'm good to go...
Combo Hunter 46@28

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
Winter = Trapping, snowshoeing, X-country skiing, snowmobiling... etc.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »
Kinda optimistic there Chris, lol.  Can hunt and quality are two drastically different things!

BTW, those are HALF day deer hunt you guys do since it takes 2 plus hours of your 7 hours of daylight to boat to the island, lol again.

I think that me and the homies (four of us) (including Chris above) arrowed something like 6 or 7 animals between us in the seven years that I was in Juneau, how's that for quality hunting!

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
btw i count birds as game animals
Combo Hunter 46@28

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
Coby,
 I lived in Wasilla for 7 years and loved it. Most of the good big game hunting is by drawing/permit. There are open areas to go but you will need to fly/raft in and is a major undertaking. The logistics can get quite expensive. In the Mat-Su Valley where Wasilla is, there are small lakes all over and there is some good fishing in them. In the winter you can ice fish. The Salmon fishing off of the road system is little to be desired. I applied for subsistence dipnetting permits and dipnetted the Kasilof river down on the Kenai. You can load your freezer up. This could also be done on the Copper River. There are Ptarmigan and grouse which can be hunted close by and down in the flats you can hunt ducks.  I am headed back to Wasilla in 2 weeks after a 8 year absence for a visit. I'm looking forwrd to it.   By the way, drawing permits  up there for a resident was in my experience easier than it looked, I drew out 6 years in a row. 1 Sheep, 3 Mt.Goat & 2 Caribou tags!  When I looked at the draw results in the ADN, It seems as if the same people drew out quite a bit.  My 2 cents worth.
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Blackhawk7204

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
I spent 22 days in Fairbanks about 25 years ago sleeping in a tent with no floor, (military training) warmest day I had was minus 35 degrees F. coldest was minus 65 degrees F.
It is no place for wimps!

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
Well if we're counting birds... I've arrowed half dz grouse and half dz ptarmagin!

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
Chris, is that like a one per year average!  That would be looked at as poor hunting by most folks standards.  I am 1 and 1 in 8 years or one bird every 4 years, lol once again!

Toklat said "Most of the good big game hunting is by drawing/permit."  My success ratio on drawing permit hunts that I have drawn shows the opposite.  Many drawing permits exist cause ADF&G need to limit the numbers of hunter cause the resource can't handle more pressure.  Draw permits sometiomes indicate LOW animal numbers!

Offline WindWalker-AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
I have been applying for several draw permits for the last 18 years.
I have NEVER been drawn.
If you do not have an airplane or boat at your disposal, you will (generally speaking) be in stiff competition with other hunters for the available game.
Just our opinion.
Best Wishes

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
I'm glad I ran across this thread. I have about 2 yrs until I retire from my FD job. Sounds like a long way off, but I'm researching a couple of options, one of them being SE Alaska.

What I am thinking is the Petersburg/Wrangell area as my first area of interest. Bear hunting, fishing, blacktail deer, and generally exploring and spending as much time outdoors as possible.

My plan is to either buy or preferably build a small log home for the wife and I, and then get a boat that will allow me to travel the islands hunting and fishing, or whatever else trips my trigger. I have a couple of hurdles to clear before its a solid game plan, and much research to do yet.

I have a lot of questions I'd like to ask anyone who lives in or is familiar with that area, if you wouldnt mind me buggin you fora little info.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 11:45:00 PM »
I would respectfully disagree on the fishing.  YOu can easily do some GREAT fishing trips in an afternoon if you live in an area like the valley (wasilla).  

As for hunting, Ive done some back door moose hunts, but would agree, you might be disappointed.

The grouse hunting is a riot, and atleast around here can be quite good.   Caribou is a LONG drive, as is most other things.....YOu can do some decent weekend hunts...including moose, caribou, and sheep off the road system.  It'll take time to find your niche but if you keep looking you'll get there.

I dont have a cub in my back yard, sure wish I did....You need to move back up Don, I can pack a mean load, though right now with a bum shoulder (partially torn rotator cuff) this fall is out...anything after that I'm game....slow and steady wins the race!   ;)

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 11:54:00 PM »
Don't get me wrong--Alaska is a great place, which is why I'm still up there four or five times a year. (If I could stretch it out to six months, I'd still be an Alaskan, Permanent Fund check and all!) But when it comes to abundant outdoor opportunities, I'd rather live in Montana and commute to Alaska, rather than the other way around. Another factor to consider: because of subsistence regulations, you better get used to being a second class citizen in your own state when it comes to fish and game. That's what finally drove me out. Don

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©