3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Brace Height adjustment and arrow spine?  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
Brace Height adjustment and arrow spine?
« on: July 22, 2009, 04:12:00 AM »
I have my bow set up almost perfect...just tweaking some things to see what happens.  I’m very close on the correct point weight for the arrow I’m shooting.

Set-up…59@29” shooting an Easton Axis Camo 400 spine fletched with 8” wraps and 3 five inch feathers.  Arrow is 571 grains with 100 grain brass HIT adaptors and 145 grain field points 245 up front…they fly nice, sometimes I think I’m reading too much into it and should leave things alone.

As a side question if I use the new 50 grain brass adaptors and hunt with 200 grain heads will I see much difference?  I have some 160 grain grizzlies with 40 grain adaptors glued up ready to be sharpened.

I think they’re just a touch weak…what will a ¼” of brace height adjustment do?  What way do I need to go to weaken them?  I think I need to lower the brace to create a longer power stroke, which would add more power and weaken the shaft a touch.  

Let me know what you think I need to do…I could add 20 more grains and see what happens.

Thanks,

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Brace Height adjustment and arrow spine?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 04:18:00 AM »
I haven't been at this that long.  But...I'd shoot my bow where she liked to be shot.....and tune my arrow to her (Brace height).

Tuning a bow to an arrow seems backwards, to me.

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 04:33:00 AM »
It's close...I've shot enough to know it's close...just playing around some to see if I can improve.  I'm almost there...but sometimes carbons can be touchy.

Just wondering how much brace height plays in the equation?  I also could add a touch to the side plate but I don’t want to go that route.  Plenty of options out there just wondering about this one in particular.

Thanks…

Josh
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 04:59:00 AM »
if the arrow is flying good at 571 gr setup leave it alone.

now with the 2nd set of arrow question I think they will also fly as well with the 400 spine.

Now for adjustment to brace to fine tune arrow spine I never have heard of this as a tool. I use brace to fine tune for finding that special spot of the arrow flying and reduction of noise of the shot...

Bill
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »
Lowering brace height will slightly weaken dynamic spine.  Raising brace height will show you a marginally stiffer arrow.

Other things you can do would be to slightly reduce your silencer size or weight or build out the strike plate a smidge.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »
I agree with jeffI would build out the side plate a little or actually add a little weight to the silencer if it the arrow shows week. I use cat whiskers they are cheap and you can put a new set on for not much and trim them down.  I was experimeting the other day with just sliding the silencers in closer to the knock therefore shifting weight to the middle of the string thinking it would make a difference with tuning the arrow.  Somebody else on here suggested it and I don't have a conclusion yet but give it a try before you buy new whiskers.

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
Josh, If your close,Leave it be!! But I almost allways fine tune my brace height to the sweet spot of the bow,for best shooting and quietest shot!! Like some one else said lower brace weakens a tad,and higher stiffens a tad!! my kajika stik likes 7.25" best,its alot of work but i feel it is worth it!! I also shoot woodies so they respond to that fine tuning better I would think!Haven't shot carbons in 10 years!!  Hope this helps bud!  Jim
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by jimmerc:
Josh, If your close, leave it be!! my kajika stik likes 7.25" best,its alot of work but i feel it is worth it!! Hope this helps bud!  Jim
Thanks...for the record mine is set a 7.25" also...nock point is 7/16" above the shelf.

Carbons are great once you get them spined to the bow correctly and you know when they're right.  They just slice through the air!

Josh
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
Josh< I would love to shoot carbons again,but for got everything I ever knew about them, Wanted to get some for my kajika longbow setup,but don't know where to start to get arrow lenght and over all weight where i want them, I used to shoot them off my widow i had years back and once they were tuned to the bow,well you know!! I do like my woodies for the only reasons is that i doesn't hurt me to lose or break them as much!! Jim
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
If you're that close, I'd leave it alone. You could go to a 125 grain head, though, or build out your sideplate a smidgen, if you just have to tinker!
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »
I'm going to leave it alone...I need to just leave things alone most of the time!

Josh
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
Raising your brace will make an arrow act weaker. Lowering your brace will make it act stiffer. In other words, if your arrow is hitting the target showing stiff, raise your brace.  If it is hitting weak, lower your brace. I thought it was the other way around, but tested it extensively myself and found it to be correct.

Your brace can play a great deal into how the bow tunes with your style and arrow combo. Just depends on you and your set.

I like to mess around with mine all the time just to remind myself it was best where I had it before I thought it could be better!   :)
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 07:16:00 AM »
i think tuning with brace height has more to do with the timing of when the arrow leaves the string. if you think about it, changing the brace actually changes the position of the arrow in relation to the centre shot of the bow. very little but it does. the point of an arrow nocked on the string at 7" brace will be further off centre than the point of the same arrow on the same bow at 8" brace. why? there is a 'triangle' formed by the nock, side plate and the centre of the shaft perpendicular to the side plate. changing brace changes the angle. but then there's paradox  :banghead:
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 08:03:00 AM »
I have found that slightly weak is the best setup.  It seems to be quieter, maybe its just me.  I have also found that when you add the brass inserts in axis or mfx shafts it stiffens them more than putting all of the weight at the point.  That being said you could adjust your brace to fine tune, but if I was that close I'd shoot some broadheads and some feildtips together ans see how they group.  Imho your if your broadheads don't fly well then nothing else matters.  I've actually started tuning with broadheads instead of bare shafting.  A big broadhead will show any flaws with the quickness.  :campfire:    Goodluck!
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
I don't use braceheight when tuning.I set it where the bow is quietest and leave it alone.I want my arrow tuned well enough if the braceheight drops a little on a hot day it does not effect arrow flight.If useing brace height adjustments to get correct arrow flight that goes out the window. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©