3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Switching from RW to LW Feathers  (Read 273 times)

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Switching from RW to LW Feathers
« on: July 22, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »
I need to make the switch.  I like to use the feather touching my nose as an anchor reference...and LW is just more accomodating.

I looked on RMSG's site.  They have the LW clamp, but they reference paying special attention to the "indexer".  Help a brother out. I'm not sure what they're referring to (only that they don't have them....lol).  What will I need and where can I get it?

Anybody got a LW clamp and want a RW?   :D  

Thanks!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Switching from RW to LW Feathers
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
The indexer is the knob you turn at the bottom of the fletcher to rotate the arrow from one feather to the next.  It is convenient if this indexer is calibrated so that you can glue on the nock before you fletch the arrow, and have the feathers end up where you want them to be.  If you use adjustable nocks, you don't need to worry about this so much, as you can rotate your nock after the arrow is fletched.  It's still more convenient, though, if the indexer is calibrated so you don't have to do that.  

The Martin fletcher (  http://search.3riversarchery.com/search?w=martin+fletcher  ) allows you to change the calibration of the indexer, within a certain range, which is convenient.  The Bitzenberger doesn't have an adjustable indexer, but sometimes you can experiment and use one of the other stops for the cock feather and get what you want.  Or just get another indexer from Three Rivers or someplace.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
I think the one I have spaces them evenly (3 feathers).  Well...I know it does, but I'm wondering if that's what you're talking about.

I use carbons and can manipulate it (nock) after they're fletched.

So all I need to do is switch clamps???

Thank you.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
That's correct, as long as you use a LW clamp, you can live with the RW indexer by adjusting the nock after you have fletched the arrow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »
Jeff, you can adjust the nock on that carbon so the feather touches the nose, can't you?  I would try it and see if the arrow passes okay before changing.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
George....I CAN, but it's easier on LW feathers.  The leading edge is "above" the trailing edge (forgive my lack of trad lingo exertise) on LW, and with my 3 under draw it just lines up better (fletched HARD helical).

If I'm wrong about this, I'm all ears!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
You're right, if you want to shoot 3 under and have the cock feather touch your nose, you will get better fletching clearance using LW than RW feathers.

I'd recommend refletching only one or two arrows and shoot them for a while, because you might decide that the feathers should be moved forward or back a little on the shaft as you get used to the new anchor.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
What got me thinking of trying this is I traded for some arrows....and they were/are LW fletched.  I LOVE THEM.  

When I built my hunting arrows fot the fall, I used the only clamp I had (RW).  I don't like it nearly as much.

I'm gonna try to trade clamps.....and if I can't, I'll call Tommy @ RMSG and order a LW clamp.

Thanks, all....

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
I'm assuming you are working with a Bitzenburger jig.  Look on the flat of the nock indexer.  If it is blank, you will likely be able to use a left helical clamp without any problem.  If there is an "R" stamped on it you will probably want to replace it with a left (stamped with an "L") indexer.  

The unmarked "standard" indexer was all there was for many years.  The L and R indexers were made to give better cable clearance for the early compound thingys.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
I'm sure no expert Jeff, I'm a split finger guy.

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 07:23:00 AM »
Jeff, If you're going to "clock" your nocks after you fletch then you don't HAVE to have a new indexer. Both left and right indexers clock the fletches at 120 degrees(360 divided by 3). The different indexers are important if you use glue on nocks. I have seen people wanting to trade clamps in the classifieds.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
Traded clamps.  Thanks to all.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©