3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what to do when your confidence gets shot  (Read 471 times)

Offline bttsj1

• Trad Bowhunter
what to do when your confidence gets shot
« on: July 23, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
Been practicing everyday for months now getting ready for the season. Tryin to get good enough to be confident at 30yds for elk season.  I have been seeing some real improvement to. Last year was my first year to hunt with traditional equipment and I was lucky enough to take a doe. I did shoot right over another doe at less than 15yds and missed a hog the same day.       So my trip to Colorado is about 50 days out and most days I can keep my arrows in my 3D deer out to 30 plus yards with an occasional hit outside the vitals and the decision to use my longbow for elk seemed to be made up.
  Well yesterday I saw a couple of hogs on my place. So I got within about 20yds of them and took a shot. I shot right over his back by a few inches, left to right seemed good. They stopped eating for a minute or so then I was able to take another shot, it was almost exactly like the first. Just when I thought I was ready, I get a big fat piece of reality pie. Though I'm thankful I didn't wound the hog and that it happened now and not in Co, it still sucks. How do you get your confidence back?  I know a large part of shooting well has to be mental and being confident. Thanks for any tips.
Border Black Douglas 54@28
Centaur 51@29

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what to do when your confidence gets shot
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
Did you pick a spot? I'll bet you pick a spot on the 3-d target when practicing. There has been alot of game missed by shooting at the whole animal. Been there done that. Dont let it get you down.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
Yep, work on that pick a spot thing. Also, check out Jay Kidwell's book on instinctive shooting. He talks a lot about the psychology of shooting. It's very good.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
In my experience when you shoot high it means you did not pick a spot. 30yds is a really long shot for even the most experienced shooter. I would recommend working on picking a spot and limit the distance on your shots. Shoot where your confidence level is and move back as your confidence gets better. Example:Go after some hogs and only shoot a 10 yards. Good luck.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
Pick a spot and then pick the center of that spot. The center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a water melon.

Also during your practice shoot each arrow at different distance, say first arrow at 15 yards next at 35 next at 12 next at 22 then go pull.

This may help, I feel if you practice at a certain distance for a long time then your brain gets used to that and when the moment of truth comes and you’re not thinking, your just shooting your brain goes back to what it knows best and you shoot high at 15 yards, just my thoughts.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
when my confidence hits the crapper, I put the bow down and come back the following day or day after when I am ready to put aside what ever it is that is clouding my mind. It always amazes me how much better I shoot when I allow my self to admit not to shoot when i am not focused on just shooting.

Follow my drift?
Make a life, not a living

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
I agree with all the above....you are not focusing when you need to.  It's 90% mental and 10% physical.  

A good drill for elk hunting:

Run a mile and then sprint the last 100 yds.....grab your bow.....shoot 5 consecutive arrows into your deer 3-D at whatever distance you choose.  If you can't keep the shots in the kill zone then you're gonna have a tough time when Mr Bull shows up screaming in your face.  

That's as close as you're going to feel to the real thing as you can possibly get without being there.  Bowhunting elk is day after day of hours upon hours of hard work and boredom punctuated by a few seconds of shear terror and excitement.  

You're gonna have to get a handle on the focus issue  ;)   Make it a daily routine....to pick a spot (the heart) on everything you see; the kill zone on your neighbors dog, your kids basketball, your wifes car.....whatever, just pick a spot and focus on it til thats all you see....nothing else.  Make it a habit   ;)  

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline Mike Murphey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
when I have that problem, I go back to basics, start shooting close, concentrate on my form and release, follow thru, etc....

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
Another part, other than better focus and picking a spot, is adrenaline.  You don't get that rush with a 3D partner, but you do on live animals.   When that happens, you may even be over-drawing to get that extra oomph. Combine that with not focusing and you have overshooting.

Work one your approach to live critters.  Maybe take a few deep breaths.

Offline Plug

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
Shoot at non-descript targets at long distances.  What I mean is targets that don't have a pronounced "spot".  Just like most animals.  A hay bale is good.  Don't use a target that will spot up with arrow holes.  

Shoot from 40 to 60 yards varying the distance and aiming to hit at an exact place on the bale.  Shoot a few dozen arrows like that then finish off the session with a dozen arrows from 20 - 30 yards.  

It will seem like you're right on top of the target and zoning in on a spot on the non-descript bale will be a lot easier.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »
Go kill somethin...somethin small a bird chipmunk somethin.

When ever that happens I put the pups away throw some bread off the deck and drill me a bird oer squirrel...bring it right back for me. Shows I can still kill!

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
:saywhat:

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
Concentration, Concentration, Concentration, aim at the lower 1/3 of the vitals, or on these really tight wrapped whitetail, aim at the kneecaps or you'll shoot over their back almost evey time...(that was a joke)
Practice a lot of up close blind bale shooting to work on form....get the form down pat, get the nerves under control, then pick out the exact hair you want to hit.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
Look at it this way - now the hogs are overconfident!

When they get as confident as a 3-D target - pick a spot and let fly.

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
Shoot Squirrells! If you can hit them, than you should be good to go!
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »
I've seen this and heard of this 100's of times.At the last second you shot at the whole animal in excitment and at the last milla second your eye go's to the horrzial line of the animals back.BOOM you either shoot over him or you shoot high and spine him.
  If you talk to hunters they all talk about shooting high and spine shooting animals.So yes for the 10,000 time you have to learn to pick a spot it's the only way.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
I stop for a while. Maybe a week. Just think about shooting, but don't shoot. When you do finally shoot, you might be surprised at how well you will shoot. I find that I tend to overthink things. By stopping, I start to think the way I should think...without the panic that I must think. When you start to tense up, you think different then when you're relaxed. Any way it works for me. Maybe it will work for you.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 12:21:00 AM »
I dont have anything to add other than keep working on your shooting and form so it comes naturally when you shoot at an animal.

The only thing I am thinking about when an animal is in the house is picking a spot.Then the shot should flow naturally from all your practice.Its the most important thing to do to close the deal on wildgame

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©