3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sharpening Heads Face Shaving Close!  (Read 1344 times)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Sharpening Heads Face Shaving Close!
« on: July 24, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
I read alot threads on here from time to time about sharpening BH. I recently  discovered Alaska Bowhunting Supply has come out with a neat system to sharpen any 2 blade head, hunting and fishing knives, etc in mere seconds. I gave it whirl and found the results.....well...you be the judge.....for demostration i used a Single bevel Nanook head from Alaska Bowhunting Supply.

Heres my setup..a cheap 6" grinder (3400 rpm) bought seperately from any big box store and Griz Stic Razor Sharpening wheels. 1 wheel is 240 grit and other wheel is paper.

For example since this head comes razor sharp from ABS, lets say i need to establish a new bevel. I'll lay the bevel for a flat grind on the 240grit wheel and make LIGHTLY 2-3 passes. This should produce a micro micro burr

Flat grind ( wheel and blade have same angle)

I'll make sure the the 240 grit wheel grinded the bevel flat all the way to very end on the single bevel shoulder. NOTE here...i'm not making a new bevel angle here, i'm just going with the angle already on the head...very little material is removed..Then I'll take BH and make several LIGHT passes into the bevel on the paper wheel.FLAT GRIND also although the pic doesn't show it too well. IMportant Note here...do not ever put enough pressure on the head into the wheel or you could change the temper..you'll know this if your haed changes color...stop and back off pressure.

This shows a Light Burr from bevel side bent over to flat side. I drug this head across leather to show burr folded over to flat side of BH. Now your in business

I then take BH over to leather strop treated with sharpening paste and powder and lightly strop on the FLAT edge FLAT to flip burr back over to Bevel side. Important point here..When stropping on flat side ,BH must be flat to leather. If BH is rasied to any angle then you'lll have a Double bevel..which is not a bad thing but this is about a single bevel.

Note ,I LIGHTLEY (weight of BH only) drag the BH down the side of this leather not across.See the burr flipping back up?

After about 10 or so light strokes, the micro burr is getting smaller and smaller and will mostly flip off. I take the BH and turn bevel into leather and light drag BH several times on Bevel side to remove all micro micro filings or burrs..

Then I'll move over to cardboard and LIGHTLY LIGHTLY ( only weight of BH) drag BH 4-5 times across the cardboard (pic not shown) against face of bevel and then drag down cardboard on Flat side (pic shown). Do not drag the FLAT side of BH across the cardboard because the angle of ferel will produce a shoulder and you will have a double bevel...this is about single bevel.

The test......Face Shaving sharp.  we see alot of guys shave hair on their arms and if your any good, you'll know there's a trick to doing this will a moderately sharp head....but to shave your face.........It has got to be Sticky Polished RAZOR Sharp.

In closing ,Normally to touch up heads to get back to RAZOR sharp, I'll hit it with just a couple of passes with  the GrizStic Paper wheel then Strop on Card board.....30 seconds!!!!!  To put an new bevel on a single bevel, i go through the above steps. I can touch up a dull SliverFlame in 45 seconds to back to factory sharpness...if you have SF, you know thats pretty good.

I really like this system the guys at Alaska Bowhunting Supply has marketed. You can sharpen DOUBLE BEVEL heads just as easy as single bevel.. and Hunting knives.....ohh man you can get them sharp. This system is so simple to use. It works great on all single blade heads of various makes and metals. Learning curve on this is so steep. it's just a neat neat product.It comes with great instructions and you can retreat the 240 wheel with grit supplied countless times,.Believe me you will love this product because makes sharpening FUN. Hope this helps a few of ya'll...pm me any questions  thanks
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sharpening Heads Face Shaving Close!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
I have been using a simular setup with paper and felt wheels the last 3 years on my Simmons heads.Sure speeds things up a lot.Regular heads like the stos and others only take a minuite or so to do.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
That could not be your whiskers Joey.    :)  You're waaay too young for them to be that gray!   :D
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »
I don't think that grinder would fit in my pack.    ;)  

I wouldn't have any problems using something like that for sharpening heads at home, but it's a good idea to be able to touch up heads in the field with a minimum of equipment (file, stone, crock stick etc.).

Those buffing wheels sure work nice though. I remember several years ago looking at one of Rick Stillman's broadheads after he told me how he uses a buffing wheel. Those heads were insanely sharp.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
it's me Bill......my bones feel it also....

i usually carry more than one arrow in the field  so i do not need to touch up in field after a miss or kill.  ;)  Unless i ran up on a bunch of Talibans....now i may need to resharpen on the spot.

This tutorial was also to show the "burr" and it's importance. I discovered that learning how to sharpen a butcher's knife with a screwdriver

Offline ErikT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
So HOW do you maintain a constant, consistent, angle while running the bh over the wheel(s) over multiple passes without a guide?
I would think this is a critical factor in obtaining a razor edge as it is regardless of the sharpening tool.
www.yankeehunter.com
Hunt much? ©

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
If the feild a crock stick is all I need to retouch a broadhead after a kill.I seldom do it however because we can't shoot but two deer a day and I carry 3 arrows with me.  ;)  

The wheels are great for getting a dozen ready before the season..
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
Erikt..angle is determine by the height of BH above the grinder axle when it touches the wheel. The higher you touch the wheel above the axle, the steeper the shoulder angle. vice versa.....thats the beauty of this system. No matter the angle of the head your trying to match, just predetermine it by holding it against the wheel before you turn it on....after about 2 heads you'll eyeball it. this system has been around a long time with woodworkers....ABS didn't invent the wheel..no pun intended!

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
joebuck, after a miss??? what do ya mean ??LOL
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
What's the matter Joebuck , those expensive heads your always pushing don't sharpen themselves ?   :biglaugh:
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by hogdancer:
What's the matter Joebuck , those expensive heads your always pushing don't sharpen themselves ?    :biglaugh:  
:biglaugh:  It is just because after paying so much for the broadheads he can no longer pay for razors too.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
Dunn knives also sells that same set-up. I have been using one for years. Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
Been using the same setup for years and HIGHLY recommend them to anyone, even those not sharpening challenged. Only takes a minute to get almost anything (no 3 blades) shaving sharp. When I bought mine yeas back the guy selling them also gave me enough grit to refinish the wheel about 3 times, which I just did this evening. Only problem I ever had was an idiot friend of mine tried to use it when I was in the kitchen and turned the blade into the wheel, ended up stabbing himself in the leg when the blade bit the wheel and threw the blade back.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
I have the same setup I bought from a local woodworking tool store. It is awesome and puts my silverflames back to factory sharpness. It is great.

Bisch

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
With practice it is amazing how consistent you can be. If only there some thing like that for 3 blades ONLY SAFE. For two blades it is a great set up.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
Hogdancer, Joey is out water skiing this weekend. He told me he sharpened the fin on his custom slolam ski and he's gonna show those boys really how to "cut" a wake! This guy has more gadgets for a traditional bowhunter than anybody I ever met! He said he's gonna be back in time to take you hog huntin on Sunday and see if you can kill 3 this time with one shot. I've seen you and you probably can.

Only question I have is what kinda boat is pullin him? A Battleship?

Offline tinkerbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
nice pictures, these wheels have been around a while. all a guy really needs is a good file and some grizzleys.
Thanks for the nice pics.   :goldtooth:

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
Tinkerbell, I'm thinkin he ain't really shavin with that head-Photoshop is really popular nowadays. Who's gonna take his pic while he's doing that without laughing?

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
Joe...thanks for taking the time.

BTW..in case you forgot..You live and hunt on the best whitetail growing land IN the land.
Boy do I miss the Big Mississippi.
Richie
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
I didn't read the whole thread so sorry if this has been covered.  I'd turn the grinder around to it's spinning away from me when viewed from the top.  For the guys who haven't sharpened on a grinder like this be careful the edges of the blade don't dig into the wheel....dangerous stuff.

the chef

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©