3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sharpening Heads Face Shaving Close!  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sharpening Heads Face Shaving Close!
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
Joey is the best "sharpener" I've ever seen. He sure can put an edge on things, unlike Marty who thinks if you draw a file across a 3 blade two or 3 times, it's ready to hunt with.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
For my Snuffers, I use a Tormek grinding wheel similar to yours, joebuck, but it's a wet grinder and the wheel is wider, and has a leather wheel on the other side. You can lay the Snuffer on the wheel in just about any position, but I prefer having the shaft in line with the wheel so that it's grinding almost lengthwise down the head. Moving the head back and forth gets all of the cutting surfaces done, and no problem with the angle. It automatically does a 30 degree, which I like. I rotate the head as I go, using gradually less and less pressure, which takes care of most of the burr. The leather gets the rest and puts the final edge on.

My face is not an option- it hasn't felt a blade of any kind in several decades. Scraping the hair off your face is a perversion!!   :)
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
:biglaugh:
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
Archie Bunker must have gone off, George has walked back over to his computer....The thread Hijacker is back ,George Stout!!!!!!......now george where is that thread you posted your distaste to hijackers?.....thats priceless......oh yea grinder was $38.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
Now if I can just be the 1st guy to come up with a backpack size power inverter...........
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
That was a nice thing to say George, I wish Biggie was that nice to me! You hear him get on me? And it's not even my thread!

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
Thanks George, i should have used another head for demostration but those are the heads i hunt with. This thread topic is about a sharpening wheel one can put on their personal grinder at home and achieve the same results woodwooders and knifemakers have for years with a similiar system. It's disappointing to me that some people on here do not give me the same respect i give their threads. It's a neat product, i was merely trying to do a tutorial on how to use it. ABS is a sponsor on here and i thought maybe someone would benefit from it. It took me about 4 hours to put it together for the benefits of others i do not even know. But it has now become i guess material for guys like you and others...so flame away.....i'm a pretty big fellow with a good sense of humor...so continue on with your agenda....i'll take the high road though.  :)

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
Who pays $129.95 for a grinder? Got mine for $10.00 at a garage sale and $20.00 for the wheels about 10 years ago. Never needed to resharpen them in the field anyways.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
That's a good system.  I bought one from Woodcraft about 3 years ago and it does a great job.  I messed around and sharpened a knife for the head chef at a local restaurant.  He showed it to all of his sous chefs and I ended up sharpening knives for all of them.  A few of those knives were high dollar!

I got tired of resurfacing the grit wheel and went back to the medium wheel that came with my grinder.  If you give it a heavy waxing, it will have nearly the same aggressiveness as the grit wheel.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by joebuck:
Thanks George, i should have used another head for demostration but those are the heads i hunt with. This thread topic is about a sharpening wheel one can put on their personal grinder at home and achieve the same results woodwooders and knifemakers have for years with a similiar system. It's disappointing to me that some people on here do not give me the same respect i give their threads. It's a neat product, i was merely trying to do a tutorial on how to use it. ABS is a sponsor on here and i thought maybe someone would benefit from it. It took me about 4 hours to put it together for the benefits of others i do not even know. But it has now become i guess material for guys like you and others...so flame away.....i'm a pretty big fellow with a good sense of humor...so continue on with your agenda....i'll take the high road though.   :)  
thanks for taking the time to put it together iv been looking for one of those wheels.    :clapper:  

always got to take everything you get on the internet forums with a pinch of salt, most is in good jest but its a pity to see some of the comments.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
the only difficulty I have with this is in the field.

I often do go places where I need to use a file...if you hunt in the wet, if you hunt out west out of a tent camp, if you are in Africa you probably won't have this convenience available.

It's nice to be able to do it without the wheel in roughly the same amount of time and achieve the same results.

Maybe I should do a sharpening clinic at the camp-  BROADHEAD SHARPENING CLINIC- 5 HOURS 500 DOLLARS AND WE'LL THROW IN A FREE HOG HUNT.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »
Hello Ray!...Lets state this again...this is NOT a field sharpener...most guys do not take their Lannsky,Gatco or KME in their day pack.....we're not talking about replacing field touch ups etc...those are all vital skills but........this a great system to get your hunting arrows RAZOR Razor Sticky sharp before and maintain through hunting season. Thats sharper than any file can do....As far as you getting yours sharp as sharp with a file....OK I'll gladly take that bet.........Bring your file to Nashville PBS and I'll have my wheel there...we'll let the bowhunters judge which is sharper, quicker and easier??  :)  I want charge you $500 for the lesson either

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
I read somewhere using a grinder ur edge dont last as long, and using stone holds a edge longer. But I use WW and sliverflames...with no problems. good luck... :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
Impressive Joey!

Thanx for taking the time bud    :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
Very interesting JB. Thanks for the post.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
Joe,
Where did you get your leather strop and sharpening paste.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
Burnsie...handamerican.com sells the paste and liquid. It's 60,000 grit chromium oxide. i think he will sell the leather strop too but any vegetable tanned hide will work although his aren't vegetable. he can make you up a kit i think. There are certainly other pastes and powders to use but this is the one i like.

thanks guys for pat on the back..hope i helped someone

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
This is a very good sharpening system as I have seen a similar one in action. I make a few knives and do basically the same thing with my knife grinder.

I do not carry anything to touch up heads in the field as I always have a few presharpened heads in my pack. Since I use carbons, I just screw a sharp head on if I dull one.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Dang Joey,  If only you'd have posted this earlier than I wouldn't have had to go and get all my expensive knife makin' grinders!  I agree those wheels can take a head to being scary sharp in minutes be it a Silver Flame or Magnus.  I sharpen my Wensel Woodmans that way then wrap two in cloth and slide them into a 2 inch diameter piece of PVC tube.  Easy and safe to take 10-12 heads on an out of state hunt in my duffel even when flying.  

As to field sharpening if I get 10-12 shots and no tags filled than I guess I have a different problem than sharpening my broadheads  :)   Nice tutorial Joey.  Thanks...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
Doc, I like that, if you miss that much sharpening is not your problem!
I shoot some silver flames sometimes and the day I feel like I have to "justify" it to a stumpshooter from Pa. Is when I give up hunting. I respect others choices in heads even if I don't like them myself ,I think more respect for others choices is in order for some folks.
Joey is a buddy and we give him trouble sometime but he knows his stuff! Thanks for your time joebuck!
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©