3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gettin' Close.....  (Read 625 times)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Gettin' Close.....
« on: July 25, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
Archery season will be here before you know it.  If you haven't already, get your gear out and inspect it.  If you need stuff, get it ordered.  Pretty much everyone that has a shop likes to hunt too, and it puts them in a bind when they get swamped with "last minute" orders.  Make life easier on them, and yourself--get your crap together now.

Chad

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gettin' Close.....
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »
As far as I'm concerned LBR, the "crap" should have been together long ago.  I keep mine out and use it year around.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
Some do, some don't.  Some have equipment that doesn't see much daylight until hunting season.  Lots of folks go on special hunts that they might only do once every few years, or just once period, and need special or extra equipment for it.  Lots of us don't shoot broadheads much, if at all, during the summer months.

Whatever the reason, there's always a fall rush.  I know I used to be one of those that would often be placing last minute orders because I'd forgotten to get it all together and do an inventory, replace what had been used/broken/lost, etc.

Chad

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
I just about got everything ill need. Still got some items on my list but its all pretty much little things. I ordered the biggest and move expensive first since it takes longer to get here. As it gets closer to fall I should be all set to go.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
Thats like saying your Not supposed to Christmas shop the day before. LOL
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
There is always something. Like that pair of camo pants that used to fit, but somehow won't get around the belly any more.
Checking everything out is a good idea. I am making some new arrows for the fall, but the bow is ready and has been for a while.
By the way, I'm on a diet so I can fit into my old camo pants.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
Somehow I wonder if I can "do more with less" this year. Maybe Not!  ;)

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
Fortunately, I hunt year round!  Usually the only things I have to get ready are my tree stands.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline crookedwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
ALL I NEED IS A WILLING TARGET.HOPE I DONT MISS.....CHRIS

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »
Let's see...

Bow...Check

Arrows...Check

Knife...Check

Im good  :)  

-Charlie

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
Hey if it puts them in a "bind" for me to order something at the last minute, I'll get it elsewhere.........

That's exactly why I'm not in the biz.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
All stands are in, working on the cabin. And watching lots of big whitetails.Looks like its going to be an exciting year.  :archer:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
Can't understand Trad shooters not shooting all year to keep sharp ! Compounders with releases, sights, etc. can pick up their bow and be ready in a couple of practice sessions. Usually not so with Trad shooters!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
Just a friendly reminder.  I know I've spent a lot of days filling orders that I would rather have spent in a blind or stand.  Those of us with tiny operations and/or who's business is built on personally built items don't have the luxury of telling an employee they have to stay and take care of the shop while I go hunting.

I shoot all year, but there are things I don't use or need until late in the season, or unless I travel to hunt.

Another thing I should mention:  it's as much or more a hassle to me as it is the person I ordered from when I need something "yesterday".  I still have to make sure it fits, tune it, shoot it in, sharpen it, etc. etc. etc.

Chad

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
Got all the stands finished up this week. Got some footage of a dandy buck the other night. He's somewhere around 160 right now. Still time to grow.
Good post Chad, gets people going. I use alot of my stuff year round but that wool would be a little warm in Ohio this time of year.   :biglaugh:   Time to get the stuff washed and in the plastic bins. Now that you mention it, I need to call you and get a couple strings ordered.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Online Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
As far as I'm concerned LBR, the "crap" should have been together long ago.  I keep mine out and use it year around.
amen sir  :campfire:
Steve.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
Don't forget that it is never too late to get in shape, especially those of you who are coming from the flatlands to hunt the high country. Today is the day to start if you haven't already. Us old farts especially need to be ready physically.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
I just went through my Rubbermaid tub of hunting cloths. Can't seem to find my leathermen tool and 2 lefthand glove liners. There is always something. I am sure they will show up right after the order comes from Cabelas!
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
Chad,
I understand exactly the point you are trying to get across.
In my business I also have people wanting things done at the last minute. And it is always something that they really needed yesterday. Rather than keep things maintained they wait till the last possible second, then try and put it on your shoulders.
And in my business it always happens when I have something planned, You want to help them out, but at times you just can't.
Sometimes they understand, sometimes not.
But like you say, if you don't keep equipment maintained year round check it out early.
That way we all have less stress, and can spend our time doing the things we work so hard for others to get the time to do!

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
Centaur,
Agree 100% with your post. Probably even more important than shooting practice!(at least for us older geezers) Being physically out of shape can be far more devastating to your hunt than being a less than perfect shot.
Didn't notice how out of shape I had gotten until June 08. (was in the Keys and noticed I was having a lot of trouble pulling up the anchor on a friends 58' sail boat. Then noticed getting winded walking up hills.)
At the time I weighed 246lbs and knew muscle strength had diminished over the years.
Started working out and changed my diet.
Now after 14 months I'm down to 170lbs and almost back to the same strength as when I was 30.(I'm presently 54)
Expect hanging tree stands to be much easier this year!   :archer:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©