3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Early season Elk too early?  (Read 225 times)

Offline Lashbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Early season Elk too early?
« on: July 25, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
In Utah we now the privelege of hunting deer and elk on the same opening day. This is great since I usually see more elk this way. In most areas we have the choice of shooting a bull specified for that unit or a cow. the problem that i have found is that most fat cows have a calf nudging the teets to draw some milk while I am at full draw. A yealing cow would be ideal if no bull is around but those shots don't come that often. What are the chances of a nursing calf making it through the year motherless. I know nature is more cruel and less discriminating. But I can't talk myself into orphaning a calf. Due to that, I did not fill my tag last year as I only had shots at mothers.
Does anyone have an opinion on this or better yet any facts.
I would love to see both hunts start 1st Saturday of September, It would give the little ones more time although not much and it would be closer to the rut. This year it starts on the 15th of August, I think it is just too early.

Thoughts???

Offline zwickeyman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Early season Elk too early?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
The calf will be fine but like you, I will never shoot a nursing Cow or Doe. Here in Washington the Deer opens on Sept. 1st and the Elk opens on Sept. 8th

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
Jasen as you know if you have lived in this "wonderful" state for long, we as archers get to suck hind teet (pun intended). It doesn't matter how much our bow organizations do. So my advise is do what you feel is right. You would think the division would have done a study or something to make sure it was ok to orphan a calf this early. I too would love to see our hunt start later, but it's not gonna happen, too much money from the other crowds. This state is driven by money like no other state(just look at the number of "conservation" tags given out).
At least we are not like Nevada, I believe all their hunts start Aug. 1.
Good luck this year!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Springbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
It tugs at my heartstrings, too, but "officially" elk calves are weaned by then, regardless of the fact that I have found milk in the udders while dressing elk.  

I have found milk in a doe deer I killed in November, so I'm not sure when the cut off is for ANY nursing.

I have had pretty good luck with getting shots at the yearlings, because they are a little dumber...

Now, for the cold hearted perspective.  There is a mountain lion somewhere on every mountain I'm hunting.  Tonight, she WILL kill a calf elk to feed her half grown kittens.  It might as well by the one you orphaned as any other.  Calves ALWAYS experience the highest mortality rates, period.

Or, you could shoot the calf if it's big enough.
42% of statistics are made up, and the other 62% are inaccurate.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »
I too make it a rule to not shoot anything with obvious tits hanging.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©