3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How Woodsy are you?  (Read 780 times)

Offline Lashbow

• Trad Bowhunter
How Woodsy are you?
« on: July 25, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
No not arrows, but in the woods like.
I was doing some hiking a bit ago in a potential new hunting area and the guy I was with showed me pine gum. I thought "What is he talking about" He picked of couple pieces of hard amber like balls of pine sap, popped them into his mouth, spit a bunch at first and then had a as homemade as you can get piece of gum in his mouth.
I tried if and after about gagging on the cruncy stuff, after that was done I had a piece of gum, with a nice fresh brushed pine taste in my mouth. I thought what a great idea for hunting. This might be old news to many of you seasoned trad archeres. What other woodsy ideas do you do or have
Happy chewing!!!

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How Woodsy are you?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
Some fellas in upstate NY spread purple bunny dropings on toast. They say it tastes like rasberry jam.   :rolleyes:   Well... that's what they say.

... mike ...   :p   ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
Sounds like he was yanking your chain to me.  I live in the heart of pine country, and we make them into stuff like turpentine, and other caustic products.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
I live in the heart of pine country, and we make them into stuff like turpentine, and other caustic products. [/QB][/QUOTE]

That was my first thought...
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
I've seen it added to things like cooking type oil and tallow to apply to wounds...and I've seen jewelry made of amber with insects trapped in it...but I've never seen anyone chewing on it.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
ever heard of a toothache tree ? well one of my coworkers had not either.  nock one of the spiney bumps off and cut the bark off then chew it.  it will make you face disappear lol
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
wait untill the day you misstake pine pitch for spruce gum, YUCK!!!!!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »
Country people around here chewed sap from the sweetgum tree when I was a kid.

Twigs from black gum were used for toothbrushes, because the grain is interlocked and won't splinter in your mouth.

Hercules Club is the name of the "toothache tree". Chew a twig and it makes your mouth numb.

We smoked cross vine, grape vine, and catalpa beans as kids. All bad.

You can chew rabbit tobacco, but it makes a better cover scent. Smells OK, anyhow.

Watch out for the guy who claims to be able to tell the sex of a deer by tasting its droppings. He will have a bag of chocolate-covered raisins in his pocket!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline sleepyhollow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
prickly ash is also great for toothaches

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
When I was a kid, in the hot summer the blacktop along the edge of the road was soft enough to chew.... it wasn't half bad. Black Jack gun was a nickel a pack but nickels were scarce in those days.   :rolleyes:  Also we smoked corn silk in corn cob pipes. The "makins", Bull Durham, was a nickel a bag too.     :D
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
I gave my sister some "Wild Potato", it's the tuber
from a Jack-in-the-Pulpit. Tastes great at first,
then your mouth feels like it inhaled a porcupine.
Pins & fire so to speak.

She ran me down after chasing me three blocks and
beat the tar outta me. Some people just don't
appreciate good natural organic foods.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »
I smoked rabbit tobacco, grape vine ( burns and stings yo mouth), oak leaves and pine needles, actually about anything that would burn.  I'm not recommending anyone try it either!  I have chewed the gum also.  Have also used the blackgum twig for a toothbrush...beats no toothbrush at all.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
willow bark for a headache, natures aspirin

Offline iacornfed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
Ron, I remember a few other things costing a Nickle or Dime a bag that people smoke! Organic also.   :campfire:  On a serious note Ive chewed sap before and a few different weeds as I walked along the trail.
Choose ye this day whom you shall follow, as for me and my household we shall follow the LORD.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
Used to use a bark to stun fish when I was a kid?? My Dad showed me the tree but cant remember what they called it? It worked good.

Chewing pine sap? lotta pine around here and a doubt I will be chewin on any of em! but do what suits ya.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline STOBBER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
:readit:  Chewed up Plantain heals wounds and stops the pain of a bee sting.
Jewelweed juice soothes and dries poison ivy/oak.
Willow bark for the headache.
 Inner bark of Slippery elm soothes a upset stomach.
If your in wet swampland and need water you can slice a good sized grape vine in two and get some good clean water from it, takes a while but it aint bad.
And yes ...you can make tea from pine needles, it's not bad and loaded with vitamin C.
Dandelion roots make a great coffe after you roast them a
and the young greens are great....hafta boil the older ones in a couple of changes of water.
Staghorn and Winged sumac makes great lemonade and the seeds crushed and sprinkled over a fresh brook trout is out standing.
Yarrow will stop bleeding very quickly when smashed up and applied to a wound.
I have seen and tried all of these ....i can vouch for them.
Never tried the "gum" though !  :eek:   YUCK !

Point being ...  :notworthy:  Our creator has provided us with all we need if we could just slow down long enough to learn .

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 01:00:00 AM »
Cover a bee sting with a small mud pack. As it drys it draws out the poison. My granddad taught me that over 65 years ago.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 01:25:00 AM »
Almost every medicine currently on the market is derived from plant or animal sources.
Digitalis= foxglove
Aspirin= Willow bark
Coumadin= sea snake venom
Valium= Valerian root

The list goes on and on. That's why the big pharmaceutical companies spend so much money and time working with native healers, and researching deep sea critters.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »
sweet gum got its name for that very reason...but pine sap??? Not me.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
Marty, I remember doing that as a kid.  You have to get a chunk that has dried up hard and isn't the least bit sticky.  As you chew it, it softens up and is, indeed, like a piece of gum.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©