3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dip Tube  (Read 541 times)

Offline S2K Kev

• Trad Bowhunter
Dip Tube
« on: July 25, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
Ok, I am just getting into traditional archery...sort of.  (I hunted with a recurve a couple weekends several years ago, achieved my goal had to put it down do to stress in the limbs.  Anyways, that is another story for another time.)

I have a longbow on order right now and I got to thinkin 'If I am going to be a bear, might as well be a grizzly bear'. So I did some research and spent way too much at 3Rivers on wooden shafts (pre spined and tapered), taper tool, paints, etc.  Long story short, I didn't buy enough laquer to fill the dip tube I bought.  I read on the label were it said not to use PVC.  What are some other materals I could make a dip tube out of?

If only the dip tube I bought was half the diameter it would be great.  I really don't see the need to have a 1 1/4" diameter tube to dip an 11/32" arrow....or am I wrong?

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dip Tube
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »
What about copper pipe?  I don't really know bud.

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
When my tube gets low, I put an old 2413 shaft in the tube to take up some space.
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 11:54:00 PM »
A golf club tube and a couple of rubber plugs will work.  When you are done with the doz, toss the tube and clean the plugs for the next time.  If you are gonna be making more arrows, the big dipper is a worthwhile investment.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline huntindad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 01:15:00 AM »
Go to hardware store and buy 1 inch aluminum tubing and a couple corks.Bill
The days spent hunting cannot be deducted from  the span of your life's time.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 01:22:00 AM »
Okay, I'll prove my ignorance: Why not PVC. I've been using 1/2" PVC for a year or two now for sealing wood shafts...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline huntindad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 02:49:00 AM »
Fletch-lac and other lacquers contain MEK a solvent that they use in PVC glues and it will dissolve the PVC slowly and might degrade the lacquer.Probably not a big deal though as long as you don't store it in the pipe. BILL
The days spent hunting cannot be deducted from  the span of your life's time.

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 05:11:00 AM »
I used one inch PVC in the cheap cold water type. found some corks in the hardware and used black plastic tape to make sure of no leaks.

and yes do it outside, I found one time I had a leak in the cork area, so now I put a plastic baggie on the end and secure with black plastic tape. so it is double sealed.
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 05:47:00 AM »
I hav'nt a clue to the no use PVC.I have a freind thats had his for over 20 years. It's used for water pipe is'nt it.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
use the dip tubes like 3 rivers sells  http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=5110X

when your done using it, just screw the cap on and you can store your dipping laquer right in the tube.
they even make short ones for doing crown dips.
I think they are made out of polyethylene.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
Made mine out of 1" white pvc and adapted it up to 2" at the top.

Eric

Offline S2K Kev

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replys.  I may just go ahead and use PVC if it is not that big of a deal.  Especially since I already bought all the materials to build a PVC dip tube before I read the 'Do not use PVC for dip tube on the fletch - laq'

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
I've used fletch lac blue clear in a pvc tube before.  Before I was done dipping a doz. arrows there were chuncks of pvc floating in the blue clear.  That stuff eats the pvc, thus why it is not recommended.  Use a golf tube with a couple of corks...cheap and won't ruin the batch of sealer with floaties. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
I use Minwax Polycrylic for sealing shafts and PVC tubes.  Here is a photo of the tubes I use.  I have some more made up for various paint dipping and have started using adapters with external threads.  Easier to remove the caps without paint in the threads.

Sorry for the small picture, don't really know what happened there.

Dennis

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
Hey!!!  Cool stuff!!  I've got four dozen arrows for me, and another four dozen for my wife to do!!
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
Dennis,
I like that drip tray draining back into the reseviour.  Awsome idea!!!  Never seen that one before. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©