3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hawaiian Pig fo' da barbique  (Read 914 times)

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
Hawaiian Pig fo' da barbique
« on: July 25, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »

Howzit Gang,

Been awhile since I last posted (July 6th). Anyhows to pick up where I left off. Couldn't find Russel's pig the next day and to top it off, it rained that night washing all signs away. Unfortunately I had to give up after an all morning search. One thing about this Hawaiian heat and humidity. You gotta find game as soon as possible before it spoils. Couldn't sleep that night----hate it when I can't recover game.

The next weekend I traveled to Oahu with a couple of club members to attend a 3D shoot on Oahu. Richard and I shot Trad and I'm glad to say that we were able to place. In fact, five out of nine club members placed at the shoot! Da archery gods were smiling on us that day. (It also helps to get a "few" lucky shots in). I came home with not one arrow straight (2117) and four totally destroyed on the "iron pig" aka pig from hell. We all had a blast and again talking about another trip before the year is up. If you visit Oahu, I highly recommend a visit to Kapolei with your bow.

While there, I met S2 Bowstring/Ryan. One of the nicest guys I've had the pleasure of meeting. He took measurements from Richard's Savannah and made him a new string. (Will try to plan a hunt with him sometime in the near future). (BTW he say's Aloha to all da gang).

Fast forward to Tuesday. Late afternoon found me in the forest waiting for the pigs to start moving around. Because of the previous two lost pigs, I decided to rig up a string tracker on my bow. (I got the idea from one of the tradgangers here when he hunted turkeys). There were ten pigs in the "herd" and as luck would have it, the small dominate boar in da "herd" had two brown feet making him easy to mark. I had been watching them the past two days and also managed to get some video. I noticed that the small boar was the bully and pushed the smaller pigs around. That I guess singled him out as to the pig that I wanted to take.

As the pigs filed past me, "bully" was last in the line. Nothing like sending out da small ones out first to test the waters eh? Seeing that nothing was out of the norm, he casually came down the trail. As he filed past, I drew and focused right behind his shoulder. Don't remember releasing the arrow ------- but at seven yards, all hell broke loose with pigs barreling past me. The shot looked good but seemed a little high. Trying to focus on "Bully" when pigs are darting right next to you was like being in the middle of a Chinese fire drill.

After all the ruckus settled down, heart found its way back into my body,started beating again, and a fresh set of BVD's (Yes I did remember to pack an extra set, an thanks fo' da suggestions), I set off following the string. Thought about taking some shots of tracking to post but when I turned the camera on, battery was dead---ugh.  I followed the string for fifteen yards than it stopped. The drag from the string in heavy forest caused the arrow to pull out. Blood looked good as it was bright red, lung shot------back to old school tracking. As I followed the blood, at times I was on my hands and knees marking and following. At one point I could see the backs of some other pigs coming down the trail. That's when I decided to go back to the house, get the dive light,and dis time bring gun. So I marked the trail and headed out. Good thing too because in thick forest, light doesn't penetrate  well making tracking blood even more difficult.

With light in hand, I continued the search and was rewarded with a small boar. He ended up going about seventy five yards before expiring. Da bugga decided to make retrieval difficult as the last ten yards I had to hack my way through thick cover to get to him. I think everything in the forest must have heard me as the pack out was mighty quiet.

I did manage to find signs of "Da Monster" but I have a feeling that within the last couple of days some pig hunters with dogs might have come through. Just went out this morning and there hasn't been any fresh sign that the pigs are in the area. Hopefully one day they will come back especially "Da Big ONE".

Aloha,

Mark

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hawaiian Pig fo' da barbique
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
awesome congrats.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
Great shot placement there! I hope to be hunting Hawaii next year.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 11:21:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
Cool!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
nice buddy congrats
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »
Congratulations Mark, good to see a picture of you and your pig. Looks like you had a great hunt. Good luck hunting the biggun, I’ll be waiting to read your story.    :clapper:  

BTW...good shot!
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Bowhuntah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
Good shot braddah, and nice tracking!
Everybody loves archery... some just haven't tried it yet.

Offline homerdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 01:23:00 AM »
got a plan... hunt and fish the islands on my 50th... gonna start saving and see you guys in jan of  '11.
gonna try to get tom to come at the same time.
nice pig!
tell me how close you got, not how far you shot

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 01:42:00 AM »
I'm in too!
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 02:38:00 AM »
Thanks fo' all da kind replies!

Dave an bradah Rick, jus' let me know when you guys can come. Da more advance notice da betta. An make sure Tom takes care of Sonja so she'll let him come back to the islands fo' play.

Also are you guys in shape like Tom? If so you gotta let me know so I can start "THINKING" about exercising------- Key work here is "THINKING".

Aloha,

Mark

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 03:02:00 AM »
Nice hog Mark!!!
With the way you shoot, those pigs don't stand a chance!!!
You guys should have seen the shots Mark pulled off at the Kapolei Range, boy can he shoot that Widow!  He ended the day with a perfect kill shot on a buffalo at 50 yards!
Can't wait to go hunting with you bro!

Aloha!
Ryan

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 03:04:00 AM »
Way to go Mark!!!  :thumbsup:  Now you got some good eats.  I'm takin good care of Sonja and I will be back soon, and I'll be there when Dave and Rick show up too. We'll make some more pork and maybe even some mutton too, eh?

MMMMMMMMM.... you got me hungry now.
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 03:51:00 AM »
Eh brahdah Ryan, you stay make me embarressed.

Sometimes when the stars and moon line up an' da tide is jus' right, the arrow goes where I "HOPE" it goes. Trick to making dat' shot was not to look surprised when I did hit da' buffalo. Was easy---- After all, I no can see dat' far so I had to rely on you guys to tell me if I when hit um' or not. (Also a lot of dog ka ka goes along way in making those once in a blue moon shots ).

HOWEVER, I'd like to add that my arrows do go where I point it-------not necessarily where I would like it to go but do go----someplace.

Let us know how you do on Lanai and afta', let's hunt!

Thanks brahdah Tom looking forward to your next visit to the islands.

On a side note, Uncle Richard called me late this afternoon letting me know he shot a nice ram up da' mountain with his Savannah. It was getting late when he called so he had to break off the tracking. He will try to pick up the trail early tomorrow morning.

Aloha,

Mark

Offline Bowhuntah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 04:13:00 AM »
Last time I went Kapolei I hit that buffalo right in the horn!   :banghead:
Everybody loves archery... some just haven't tried it yet.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 04:46:00 AM »
I saw way too many killer shots for them to be lucky!
   :notworthy:  

I'll be in touch when I get back.  Tell the gang I said hi.

Take care bradah Mark!

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 05:23:00 AM »
No feel too bad Bowhuntah, jus' befo' I left, Ken told me that he would make a whale for me to shoot next time I go up for a visit. On one shot at a deer, he told me to watch out for the iron frame worn through the body. Sure enough I shot the iron frame just after he warned me-----destroyed another arrow. Said that the whale could be placed on the ground so that no chance of hitting iron---(lol) Also put A LOT of holes in the back drops. Next time I visit I better bring "choke" wood putty to patch da' holes. Wonder if you can get volume discount on wood putty?

Eh S2, too many killer shots? I didn't think anyone's eye site was mo' worse than mine. (lol)

Lattas,

Mark

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 06:22:00 AM »
Great job Mark!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »
Your killing me!  I'm here right now and I never got my paperwork from game and fish.  I figured 2 months is enough to get it over to Colorado....Wrong!  So no hunting for me on this trip but spearfishing is a blast here!  I'd love to relocate here, which sounds doable with my career!  After I pull my sheep and goat tag I'm all over it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©