3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Got some ?s need some help  (Read 278 times)

Offline Longbow338

• Trad Bowhunter
Got some ?s need some help
« on: July 26, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
I have hunted several years with a longbow chapparl and tomahawk I have killed several deer since I started trad 3 years ago.  My questions are .

#1 I have never had a bow tillered for 3 under which is what I shoot does that make a difference in bow performance.

#2 Is a 58" bow to short with a 28in draw.

#3 Is fast flight string any better than the others speed and accuracy wise.

I am going to shoot several of the top customs and am trying to decide what specs to build it.  I am leaning towards Blacktail Schafer Assenheimer Wallace maybe Robertson(never shot one of theirs)

#4 What are the top bows in you guys opinions.

Thanks for the help.
2 morrison mini ilf's skinned
2 shawnees skinned
2 PCH X honduran rosewood
Tiger mytrle and brazilian rosewood

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got some ?s need some help
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
#1 Noise level on some bows can and will be affected.
#2 As far as bow length there are so many designs in bows that make a bow more shootable at shorter lengths. It really depends what is stable and comfortable to you.
#3 Depends if the bow is capable of shooting the extreme strings. I know my Shrews do not shoot as well with FF as the do with 450.
#4 As far as top bows find the one that fits your shooting style and wallet size. There are a ton of great bowyers that will let you test drive before purchasing.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
What Ed said
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Longbow338

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
Any other opinions maybo from people who bought used bows not tillered for 3 under but shooot them anyway.
2 morrison mini ilf's skinned
2 shawnees skinned
2 PCH X honduran rosewood
Tiger mytrle and brazilian rosewood

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »
Most 58"s will shoot fine at 28 though I prefer 60". FF is more noisy and if trying to quentin down 3 under I would shoot Dacron. That is the only way I can get an acceptable noise level.  So far I have never shot a bow tillered for 3 under that made much difference.

Offline kodiakkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »
I shoot 3 under and have shot numerous bows tillered for split finger. Like Ed said it makes the bow a little louder but I do not notice any difference in performance of the bow. Course I guess I wouldn't know how it performs shot split. You could always build you a bow and tiller it 3 under.
Always strive to do the right thing. Don't beat yourself down when you mess up. Ask for forgivness and keep on keeping on.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
If you're concerned about a short bow "stacking" at a longer draw length, recurves are generally less apt to stack than longbows are. That's generally speaking, as some longbow designs are better than others about stacking.

I shoot 3 under and I've never had a bow tillered for 3 under and I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

Fastflite is faster than dacron and much stronger, but make sure the bow can handle it. I don't know that either is more accurate than the other one, though.

The top bows out there aren't always the most expensive. There are some fine bows that shoot great no matter what the price. I like Black Widows but I also like my rather moderately priced Dave Beeler custom bow too. Saw a beautiful Morrison Cheyenne today at a shoot for sale (see KY Rob here at the 'Gang for that one) and it was beautiful, to say the least. He offered it to me to test drive, but I new I shouldn't 'cause I'd be rurnt!

Too many great bows out there to try and narrow it down to just a few.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©