3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tents for cold weather  (Read 10557 times)

Offline Kambaku

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tents for cold weather
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 07:16:27 PM »
Look at Alaska Tent and Tarp’s website and check out the Arctic Oven. I owned a 12x12 and now have a 10x10. Make sure you get them with the vestibule. In the cold weather I run a wood stove inside. These tents are made for cold weather and winter camping. I have found nothing better.

Offline Machino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 07:45:56 PM »
I have a snow trekker 10x13 exp base camp.  It has been an awesome tent and is light weight as well. Sunforger 7 oz canvas has held up just as well as the heavier stuff and is propped up by burly Easton poles. Not conduit. Got a KniCo stove. Whole setup is 56 pounds but sleeps like its 200. Dwayne is a great guy to deal with and makes in my opinion the best canvas tent. Also. If you decide to pack it in on a mule you'll have more room for steak and beverages

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2018, 11:03:57 PM »
I have a 12x12 Alaknak and a Three Dogs wood stove.  Use it in the late January season warm down into the single digits.  Like SteveO said only drawback they get hot in warm weather if not shaded. No complaints.

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2018, 09:20:39 AM »
Check out Seek Outside. They produce a great Tipi with a stove.
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2018, 10:21:22 AM »

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2018, 10:21:46 AM »

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2018, 10:22:12 AM »

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2018, 12:34:35 PM »
Hard to beat a canvas wall tent (and stove) for cold weather.  I do run a tarp over mine for extra protection, but probably isn't needed.  Mine is a 9x12, which works well for one or two people.  Begins to get a little crowded with three. I do like high side walls.  Four feet is fairly standard, but 5 feet is available on many.  The latter gives much more headroom throughout the tent. Several good makers out there.  Mine is an Eena made by Beckel Canvas Products in Portland, Oregon. 

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2018, 05:09:08 PM »
I second the arctic oven mentioned above. There isn't a better tent for cold weather out there. At -temps down to -50 below or colder with a small wood stove there is not tent that is its equal.  A bit pricey but worth every penny you'll find and it has great customer support and you will not be disappointed. In fact you might want to move up a size. It is the  standard for trappers up here in the Interior of Alaska.
John/AK

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2018, 12:28:26 PM »
For floorless tents, how do you all deal with the creepie crawlies?  I'm guessing that you sleep on a raised cot of some sort?  Or are you mostly using these when it's just too cold for bugs?

I'm not usually one to avoid bugs & such.  But being able to watch carpenter ants crawl all over my tent at night (they'll wake you up in a hurry!), seeing the occasional tick and watching some fabrics get shredded by mice at night, I've never had the guts to sleep in a floorless tent.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2018, 02:48:22 PM »
Most wall tents have a sod cloth, an 8-inch or so wide piece of canvas that runs along the inside of the walls at the ground.  A vinyl "footprint" is then laid over that so it overlaps right up to the base of the tent wall. Keeps critters and most other things out. 

When I use as wall tent, it means I'm camping close to my truck so I have the creature comforts, like a cot and stove.

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2018, 03:25:31 PM »
Love my Davis wall tent!  Never had a leak...dry and toasty with the stove.  The Davis cots are hart to beat also!  Bombproof.

Oh man, is it September yet?

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2018, 03:30:17 PM »
I deal with bugs this way. I carry insect killer such as you would spray in your house. I spray the area on which the tent will be erected. Then, I put down the ground cloth. It works very well.
Sam

Offline MPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2018, 09:52:26 PM »
I got a nice wall tent from Davis tent from Colorado have used one spring turkey in missouri had sevear storms and high wind and stayed warm and dry it kinda hot in warm seasons but great for fall and winter.have stove for it but sometimes just use propane heater though tent I would do with the wall tent
            Mike

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2018, 12:04:39 PM »
I have had a Torrent Tent on the classified three times.  No one seemed interested, 50 pound package 10X12 with three aluminum poles they break down to 24 inches.  It's easy enough for one person handle.  And they had a full screen front and a half screen back door and window for warmer season.  I happen to think it's a good combination. It's kind them between wall tent and in a frame.  It's about 8'6"  high.  Sidewalls are 3 foot.  It would fit three cots in the stove, and gear.

Here's what it look like:

I purchased it because it looks like it sheds rain and snow real good.  It is smaller to heat. so you got smaller stove.  Maybe someday I'll use it. I've also had 2 Davis wall tents.  But this one is lighter for one or two people

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2018, 02:50:34 PM »
I have a 10x10 Kodiak Canvas tent. It’s a great tent, but doesn’t come with a stove jack. I just bought a stove and going to buy the jack, and have to put it in myself. The only negative (which is a big one) is that my warranty will no longer be valid once I put it in. I’m looking forward to trying it out this winter. I’ll post pics of the process if anybody is interested.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline JLeMieux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2018, 09:43:53 AM »
I have a 10x10 Kodiak Canvas tent. It’s a great tent, but doesn’t come with a stove jack. I just bought a stove and going to buy the jack, and have to put it in myself. The only negative (which is a big one) is that my warranty will no longer be valid once I put it in. I’m looking forward to trying it out this winter. I’ll post pics of the process if anybody is interested.

I would love to see how it comes out. Are you planning on going out the side or through the roof?
Acadian Woods TD Recurve 58 @ 28
Acadian Woods Recurve 55 @ 28
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 60 @ 27
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 47 @ 28
Martin Hunter Recurve 50 @ 28

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2018, 02:08:10 PM »
Look at Kodiac Canvas, I have a 10x10, I like a floor attached. It does not have a place for stove venting, guess guys have added them but you can use Mr. Buddy heater. It seems like a much more simple method and faster setup
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:23:06 PM by rraming »

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2018, 04:57:15 PM »
like most of us here, i have tried so many different types of tents. some good, some not so good.
i finally came across the "bell tents"
https://www.belltent.co.uk/shop/canvas_tents/5_metre_deluxe_bell_tent_with_built_in_groundsheet
these are from the UK. they were very affordable, shipped quickly.
they are lighter than traditional wall tents, and handle the storms and weather better- shed water and snow beautifully.

they have a whole range of sizes and options. liners, lean to's,  with and without built-in groundsheets- ours has a zip in ground sheet.

we live in a coastal rain forest, and i wanted something i could pitch by myself, quickly and easily.
 it only has one center pole( break down)
it goes up in minutes - literally.
 peg out the floor- go inside and lift the center pole- then everybody can get inside and start building camp, while i go around the outside and set up the short guy ropes- another few minutes.
much like a tipi , it has tons of standing head room, but it also has short side walls, so space is better utilized.
its well made and ours is about 8 years old- and going strong.
 i use a simms fold up wood stove.

i really like the door setup, its vertical, so it stays dry- its not on an  incline like the tipi tents.
 easy to get in and out, load in firewood, pack bulky gear in and out etc etc- and there is a small door fly/awning option too- which is great.

having sloped sides it has less space to heat, but has tons of room.
it is very resilient in the wind- and really resists the  blow due to its shape- even if the wind changes direction, you are not broadside to the wind like a traditional wall tent.

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2018, 07:59:47 AM »
What Fujimo said.
homebru

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©