3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tents for cold weather  (Read 10558 times)

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tents for cold weather
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2018, 08:41:50 AM »

2017 Alaska camp, 12 man and 16 man Kifaru tipis both equipped with Ti 3 dog stoves.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2018, 08:52:37 AM »
Tent Smiths makes very good canvas tents, and their customer service is stellar. I got my rendezvous tent from them and have been very satisfied. I have a wedge tents but have friends that own both the wall tent and marquees. At rendezvous, lighting must be by candle latern, and that is sufficient to keep dampness from becoming an issue. There are many dealers that produce very nice tents, so finding a good tent will not be hard, but I most definitely prefer canvas over synthetic fabrics.
Sam

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2018, 01:56:55 AM »
I have a 10x10 Kodiak Canvas tent. It’s a great tent, but doesn’t come with a stove jack. I just bought a stove and going to buy the jack, and have to put it in myself. The only negative (which is a big one) is that my warranty will no longer be valid once I put it in. I’m looking forward to trying it out this winter. I’ll post pics of the process if anybody is interested.

I would love to see how it comes out. Are you planning on going out the side or through the roof?

I'm planning on going out the side. I will most likely put a 90 degree elbow on the stove pipe. I just go the stove yesterday, so now I need to order a stove jack. It will probably be September before I get to it, but I will keep you posted!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2018, 09:33:52 AM »
I sewed my own stove jack into an Alaskan Guide 8 man ten.  Though I am a sewing hack- it worked out great.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2018, 06:29:08 PM »
I bought a Mesa Colorado stove for my 10x10 Kodiak Canvas tent. I will be ordering a stove jack in the next couple weeks and get it sewn in ASAP.

Here is my stove with its first burn

Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2018, 09:17:40 AM »
If you're burning wood, make sure the roof is fire retardant! It's no fun to wake up to a big smoldering hole from sparks.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2018, 01:01:17 PM »

:shaka:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 07:34:14 PM by fujimo »

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2018, 08:10:38 PM »
Used a speed stitcher and worked very nice once we got into a groove. (Have a friend if you do this)

Jon Richards

>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Online azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2018, 08:03:21 AM »
Kodiak Canvas wall tent. Easy to set up. Very sturdy and you don’t have all the piles to take take up space. Great tent.

Online azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2018, 08:04:29 AM »
Meant don’t have a lot of poles.

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2018, 08:50:01 AM »
I have a Kodiak Canvas also.  Great tent and very well designed and thought out (vents, screens, doors, etc).  I have always used a Little Buddy heater to warm it up when needed.  With the design of the doors it can stay fairly comfortable in warm weather too.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2018, 10:24:01 AM »
I have a Kodiak Canvas also.  Great tent and very well designed and thought out (vents, screens, doors, etc).  I have always used a Little Buddy heater to warm it up when needed.  With the design of the doors it can stay fairly comfortable in warm weather too.

I thought about getting a buddy heater but wasn’t sure how they would fair in sub 20 degree temps. I’m weird too in that I just like the nostalgia of a fire.
Jon Richards

>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Mike Theis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2018, 06:45:39 PM »
I have a 10x12 canvas wall tent from Davis Tent out of Denver. Includes a vinyl 10x20 rain fly, which creates a a cooking area outside the tent of 10 wide x 8 deep. I have a 3/4 floor, with a small carpet which can be hauled out and shook, if necessary. The wood stove is a Davis as well, which looks like a std round iron cylinder stove. The frame system is traditional vs internal full frame, which IMHO helps to keep the tent down tight on uneven ground. Sleeps 3 tight with stove, 2 uber luxurious. All components from Davis are top notch. Add the military issue 9" angle tent stakes, and the tent is going nowhere in wind. I have had this tent for 5 years on numerous trips to Colorado and Utah. Works really well in snow, cold and wind. No worries.

A note on wall tent size. I went slightly smaller as it was sometimes a trick to find flat enough ground in mountainous terrain that allowed a good, tight pitch with the bigger tents. If you had two larger tents in camp, most often someone had to compromise on non-level ground. This can cause big problems in wind. Sometimes it is better to have two smaller tents in camp rather than one really large one.
If man were to know everything in advance, there would be no such thing as adventure!

Offline cedarshaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2018, 12:55:15 PM »
We just spent 3 days camping in rain and heavy winds in a canvas wall tent with a 4 Dog stove. Never leaked and stayed warm and dry. Camp had plenty of dry seasoned firewood.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©