3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: will this buck be a shooter?  (Read 983 times)

Offline suzie_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: will this buck be a shooter?
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
As far as the growin alot more goes hes not going to this year. He is about maxed out the antlers have lost the big mass at the tips of each point that they have while they are growing so i would say hes about done for the year. as far as a shooter i probably wouldnt but i stand i could chance at shooting a wall hanger here plenty of does to loose an arrow on if im wantin meat.
Whack'em Track'em and Pack'em

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »
No, he's not gonna grow much more....just a little more length "tipping out"

As far as being a shooter...only you can answer that
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline D. Devall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Onestringer:
Dude they are all shooters aren't they?
couldnt have said it better myself.   :readit:

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
Should be tasty why not ! Any Deer with a bow is a trophy !
Gord

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
I'd shoot him. Pic is huge by the way, you may want to reduce it before it gets yanked.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
What you see is pretty much what you'll get as far as size goes.  

Would I shoot him?  Depends: early season or late, seeing other more mature bucks or not, wanting meat or not, number of days left to be out hunting, etc.  Way too many variables to draw a conclusion here.  All I can say for sure is that I'd be more likely to take him with my bow than with a firearm.  

To me most any deer can be considered a trophy when you get them into arrow range by your own wit and hard work.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
I've made a career out of shooting 1 1/2 bucks. Took my first buck that was 5 1/2 years old last season, the wife won't eat it. She said "why didn't you get one of the good tasting ones?" Now that I have the "buck of a lifetime" out of my system it's back to does and young bucks. Can't eat horn. Any critter with a stickbow is a trophy, if that fella was the right distance and angle he'd be done and I'd be darn proud of him.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
Swamp buck I know exactly what you are talking about with the go button.  I swear I can be going to let a deer walk one second and 10 seconds later something takes hold of me and I am shootin.  Like said before shoot what you want and I doubt he will be much bigger this year.  But in 2 years he could be a deer I would spend a lot of money to mount just never know for sure what he will do.  There are some big six points out there.

Offline GR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 06:55:00 AM »
Last night as I was flingin a few arrows I realized that I needed to amend my post to read...

"Shooter is in the eye of the Bow Holder"

Offline DELTA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 07:40:00 AM »
That is up to you! For me he will walk,hes no more then 3.5 years old.He will get bigger but not this year.If you hunt in a spot where thers a lot of hunters there a good chance he will get shot.GOOD LUCK!  :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:
JIM BELLEVILLE

Offline Jeff Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
In todays society we all get wrap up in the bigger is better mentality to a degree. Most people do not have to harvest a deer to survive but there are those of us who have to hunt to survive. If I hunt ,I kill and eat. It is a personal decision. I have shot big deer and tons of smaller ones. I still have one or two teeth left so there will be more of the smaller ones for me. If it feels right for you take him if not enjoy the moment and don't worry about the other.
Living and hunting with a traditional mindset.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
You got teeth left, Jeff? Last time I seen you(last August) I for shure figgered you for dead 'fore Spring!

Looking forward to seeing "Ole Toothless" at the TBG Satiday night.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Arrowhead80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
If so many people just meat hunt why don't they just shoot does and ugly raghorns?If they would do that they would still have plenty of meat and the trophy hunters wouldn't have to cuss about passing up young pretty bucks just for someone else to shoot them,saw off their horns and nail it to their barn.If you ain't gonna mount it please shoot a doe.I definately wouldn't shoot him because he has potential,he is a clean racked young deer that will make something nice if he lives long enough.
Possum the other white meat

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
Any legal deer is a shooter for me... Once I have meat in the freezer I will let the small bucks walk. Does are always in trouble!!

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Forrest Creature 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
Leatherneck said it best shot what you want and be proud of it.

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
i'd be proud to get'em
Steve.

Offline Rigs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2009, 11:34:00 PM »
The only reason you're asking is due to the magazines, shows, and vids out there showing every buck on the ground is a hawg...

Let that go and enjoy the moment...

To me, it's the day.  Sometimes a buck like that may take an arrow.  Somedays, I may kill the doe right in front of him, or wait for the buck behind...

You knew the(your) answer the minute you saw that pic.

Enjoy your season.

Happy hunting,
Jason
Hunting and Fishing ARE family values!  Lifetime member Traditional Bowhunters of Montana, member of Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2009, 07:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Arrowhead80:
If you ain't gonna mount it please shoot a doe.
I can guarantee, with near 100% certainty, that I will never have a buck mounted.  So I should be shooting only does??

Maybe I'm reading too much into your post or maybe I need to wait for the coffee to kick in, but much of the flack hunters take from the general public is because of trophy hunting and the "need to shoot a big one" mentality.

The whole QDM gets to me too.  Some of the dumbest bucks I've come across have been on QDM properties.  They keep running across hunters who don't threaten them, then become accustomed to them and stopped running away - just like my 'yard deer'.  As a deer ages his body will get bigger, but not necessarily his antlers... I've been watching a 4pt for years.  He's starting to gray in the muzzle now.  There are some spikes running around here that are in their prime too.

I'm in this for the challenge.  Whether that challenge is to chase a particular animal (did that for 2 years starting when the deer was a yearling!), get within range of a big buck or fool an old doe (the hardest imo) doesn't matter.

Off to get another cup of java...
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2009, 07:57:00 AM »
No one can tell you what a shooter is. That's a personal decision.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2009, 08:15:00 AM »
Shooting all does can get you in trouble.Di it long enough and you will sit many days and start wondering where all the deer are.  :D  You need a balance in things.I am hunting new land this year.Not a lot of deer from what I have seen so far.I will take two or 3 deer this year for the freezer.Depending on what kind of numbers I see will decide what I shoot.If I see numbers od does I will take some.If not many like I think I will kill only bucks,button bucks and fawns.Kill one mature doe and you will have 3 less deer next year.Kill two bucks and you will still have one more deer next year than you have now.I like hunting where I see deer more often than not no matter if I decide to shoot or watch.The always kill does for the freezer thing does not always work to that end.Those big does are the ones that spawn those big bucks some are looking.Use good judgement if you are in this stuff for the long haul.  ;)   jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©