3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need Help with GPS's  (Read 609 times)

Offline Brian Gillispie

• Trad Bowhunter
Need Help with GPS's
« on: July 27, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
Hey all,

I have never used a GPS.  I need to have one for the upcomming hunting season.  I am not sure what is available on the market.  I would prefer a model with ease of use.

What suggestions do you folks have?

Brian Gillispie
Spinning faster round the pole. Soon to old from chasing gold. Young hands wrinkle, hearts to stone. Dust to dust and ashes cold

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need Help with GPS's
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
It would depend on what you wanted to do with it.You can get simple ones that will get you back to the truck or something with maps and routing that can be used on the road as well.More Garmins are in use than anything else.Deciding what you will use it for would be the first step because it is huge price differences in them. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
Brian, I have a Garmin etrex and it works fine for what I do. Anywhere fom 89-100 bucks and simple. What ever kind you get always carry a spare set of betteries with you..G
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
Garmin is at the top of the GPS food chain. As J Wrenn says, they have several different models, from very simple to lots of detail and 'stuff'. I would suggest that you go to a store that carries several models and get a hands on look at various models. They are a great tool, but they don't replace map and compass entirely.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
I agree with James.  I recently purchased the Garmin 60CX.  I use mine (with the corresonding MapSource software) to aid in scouting new properties.  I'll also mark my stand sites; buck sign; entrance/exit routes; etc...

I also think it could be a terrific aid in blood trailing.  

LOTS of uses I haven't even thought of, likely.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
Yup the Garmin Etrex is about the easiest one on the market to use.  At least from what I have found.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
And only use them as a tool with at least one compass to double check. They are useful and I like them but don't totally rely on them. A compass only lies if it is around metal. A gps can mess you up with no apparent reason. Gary

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
Garmin 60 Csx. Some of the less expensive one's don't work at all or well under canopy. This one does. Always use a compass too though!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
Jeff the 60csx is a great unit.I lost mine hunting last year and had to replace it.I was really bummed but was lucky and had several years of data backed up on my computer so lost nothing that way.I went with the new Oregon.A bigger screen and a few more bells and whistles but pretty much the same unit.I use mine on the road a lot so the extra cost was covered in saved gas on trips.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline FubarFred

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
Brian, really depends on what you want to do with it. Bushnell makes one that holds 3 waypoints. It's mostly for marking your truck, go to your stand or two and then back to your truck. Others can give up topo maps, driving or location maps, lat/long coordinates, the only thing that will stop you from features is the depth of your pockets. With all the said I have Garmins. The oldest one I have is a GPS 11 model about 10 to 12 yrs old. It's not programmable and weighs about a lb but has gotten me out of Blackwater Swamp in Cambridge, MD a couple times. Doesn't work good under cover, though. I have several other Garmins also. Some are for my motorcycles because the hard drives are made for the rough ride of a bike. Others I use hunting, my wife has one 'cause she gets twisted around on our place here in SC. So, the bottom line is what are your needs and how much do you want to spend. Dang, maybe I do talk too much....ah,well, information is good.
Fred.....
TGMM Family of the Bow
Traditional Bowhunters of MD
MD Bowhunters Society
Bowhunters of South Carolina
UDT/SEAL Association

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
I wouldn't buy an eTrex. Better to put the money towards a better one. I use mine, but I wouldnt buy it again.

I'm always surprised on these threads that people dont bring up the issue of electronic compass or not. If it doesn't have electronic compass, it's of little use in the woods, to me. All other units rely on satellite triangulation to determine direction and rate of travel. As it turns this requires a fairly steady rate of travel. By "steady" I mean roughly a steady, brisk walk. Speaking for myself a brisk walking pace is rarely practical when I'm wanting to bring home meat. Much less in thickets. The unit becomes useless.

I'm sure it would be great on a boat for finding fishing spots, underwater cover, etc.

Electronic compass units do not have this limitation. Standing still you can rotate them and the arrow will stay pointing toward the mark. These units are also the ones with better antenae and reception.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »
Yeah. I gave my Etrex to a friend when I upgraded to the csx. IT would be fine if you're mostly in open areas though.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
Bear is dead on about the E compass feature. Never knew how bad it was with my old unit till I got me a garmin map60CSX. Love this unit ! Hate Garmin for not making their software in a 24k resolution rather than the useless 100K they offer now.

nocams  :banghead:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »
nocams,

The 24K resolution is on the way. They have most of the western US complete. Check the garmin site under trail maps to see the current offerings. I'm hoping the next release will include Kansas and Missouri.   :pray:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
BMN,
Hope you are right..... been hearing that story, even from Garmin folks for years !!! Seems like any technology you buy these days NEVER EVER works as advertised, always a catch. Just once I would love to go to a board room meeting and have my say to everyone in there from the President on down to the developers and just ask them how they can market this junk on the consumer and still sleep at night ??? Does any company or developer ever try to use their new product themselves before they market it ???

Okay, deep breath and heading to the garage to finish up a osage selfbow that I KNOW will work, haha !!!  :archer:  

nocams  :D
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
Aloha Brian,

Had a etrex and was happy with it until my wife one day washed it with my hunting clothes----my fault. Got me in an out of my hunting area. Simple to use but the compass sucked. And you had to keep moving for the gps to orient you. Still, simple to use and reasonably priced.

Replaced it with a Summit and am pretty happy with it.  Two weekends ago I hiked out in the dark. Had to sit down three times to orient myself as it was pitch black and you couldn't see 15/20 feet in front because of a heavy fog. Reached the truck about 8:30.

There more expesive units out there but value wise,the Summit gets my vote.

Mark

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
I would get either a Garmin or a Magellan, as far as consumer use goes they are the best. I have an old garmin etrex Vista that I've had for almost ten years and it still works great, but I make sure to keep the software updated in it. If you don't keep your unit updated, in time the reception will degrade because satellites are replaced or moved and the gps doesn't know where to look for them in the sky. An electronic compass is a nice feature as others have said. One of the biggest improvements in newer models is increased battery life. ALWAYS carry spare batteries (and a map and compass)...

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 09:36:00 PM »

There more expesive units out there but value wise,the Summit gets my vote.

Mark [/QB][/QUOTE]

There web site says it is discontinued ???

Brian, after all the answers the only sure thing is to get a get a get a Garmin...  :D
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
Howzit Geno, got the Summit HC from Amazon. Maybe the Summit with the "black and white" screen is being discontinued? Maybe the Summit HC is being discontinued,thats why I got a great price? Reading the reviews also helped me on deciding on the Summit HC

Aloha,

Mark

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
Your right Geno, I just checked the Garmin site and I guess that the Summit has being discontinued. The Summit HC replaced the Summit. I must say that using the color screen is great compared the my old long gone Etex.

Eh Brian I'll echo everyone's opinion that you should always bring spare batteries and always bring a compass. I even pack an extra head lamp when I hunt.

Aloha,

Mark

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©