3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need Help with GPS's  (Read 608 times)

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need Help with GPS's
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 11:21:00 PM »
I like the Rhino, but then it's because I hunt with my brother who has one too. To be able to see other hunter's position relative to yours is A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!  I really like it for pushing game as you can coordinate drives when not in line-of-sight.

Of course, there's drawbacks. I bought the cheaper model without the electronic compass, and if you aren't moving you don't know left from right. Also, the resolution is useless for maps. No contours. Don't rely on ANY GPS. Always have a map and a compass AND AN EXTRA SET OF BATTERIES. I don't know about other units but the Rhino EATS batteries.

Juan
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »
Thats Ok Mark, It probably just takes a little longer for the news to get to the Islands..
  :biglaugh:  G
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
Hands down, the Garmin 60 Csx is the very best I've used. I work in the outdoor industry and have products tossed my way from time to time to try out, including GPS units, and after testing several Garmin and Magellan models I found the Csx performed the best in a variety of terrain and weather conditions.  Last year I popped 2 AA Lithiums into mine and they lasted two weeks in the elk woods.  Come to think of it, I used it last fall deer hunting and it's still operating on the same set of battieries.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 05:36:00 AM »
Garmin CSX  

A GPS is like a boat, you get ne and before long you want a bigger one, then bigger etc.

If you get an Etrex, it will work fine from point to point but your probably gonna want more features. Get the CSX to start with  :-)
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 07:06:00 AM »
Biggie is pretty much right. :)  At the least I would go with something like the Garmin etrex vista hcx.You should be able to get one a bit over $200 if you look around.It will give you a good antenna and good chipset so will be as accuate as the higher cost units.It will also have a color screen and mapping with routing capabilities.The memory is expandable with a card so you could buy a topo for it and plug it in.It also has an electronic compass and barameter.It has some of the bells and whistles in a mid range package that will allow you to do most things you would use a gps for.The learning curve on Garmine units is not too bad and they work well with google earth. jmo

Whatever you decide get one with a good antenna and reciever so you won't have problems in the thick stuff and hills.A GPS is just no good if it blacks out when you hit the woods. :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 07:19:00 AM »
BTW..When we talk gps we are always thinking topos and finding our way in and out of woods.I find mine very handy for other things as well.With City navigator loaded in one it gives you millions of POIs as well.This means with a few clicks you can find the nearest motel,garrage gas ect no matter where you might be.Pulling up this infomation can really be a plus.I can be in the woods and find a motel,get the phone number and call and make reservation ect if I decide to stay over somewhere longer than I planned.Want a steak for supper and you can look up the nearest Outback,see it on the map and get turn by turn directions to it.Just pointing out that the more you learn to use a gps the more things you will find you can use them for.  :)

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 07:32:00 AM »
I have the Garmin 60CX (as mentioned before).  For all of you guys suggesting the CSX....what exactly is/are the differences?

I paid exactly $257.30 for my New 60CX, 3 weeks ago.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 07:47:00 AM »
Jeff the csx has a microSD™ card, high-sensitivity GPS receiver, barometric altimeter and electronic compass.

The main difference is the reciever chipset on the csx is better than the one used on the cx and it has an electronis compass.The 60csx soon become the benchmark all handheld units were and are still judged by after it came out.Any accuracy testing you see done on new units is always compared to the 60csx.The newer units give you color screens,larger screens ect but there accuracy was all built around the cababilities of the 60csx.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »
James...I have the same micro SD and GPS receiver in my 60CX.

The difference is the  barometric Altimter and the electronic compass (which I hear has to be re-calibrated quite regularly).

If you wanna pay $70-$100 more for those two things.......then more power to ya.

(and....my sreen IS color)

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »
The elctronic comapss is calibrated in about one minute. Easy to do and is very accurate.
Down here I really use the altimiter too. The difference in 2 feet of elevation means alot in the swamps.

The CSX has the best reception I've ever seen. It will pick up under any forest canopy. Even inside my house!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »
Jeff I guess the newer ones have been updated.I was just quoting what is on the Garmin website stating the differences between the two units. :)  

I am sure it will serve you well.All electronic compasses have to be calibrated regularly.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »
Biggie...

What does the altimeter tell you that an accurate topo wouldn't?  I'm not familiar with them.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
A topo generaly is in 10' incriments. Not much help here in the flatlands.
And if I have a good topo and a compass, I don't need the GPS AND I don't have to carry 3 dozen topo's around to cover all the places I hunt.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
I've got my entire state's topo in my 60CX.  I still have plenty of room to add KY, CO and any other place I'll hunt in there, also.

I like the topo on the machine....because I can locate potential stand sites on my computer (mapsource) and solidify them in the field.

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
I have a 60csx and want 2 download from the 1/24000 cd's. my question is? can i use the supplied micro chip and have enough space to get the whole western us cd on it or will i have to d/l say, just oregon? or do i need to spend $ on a larger memory card? i'm an old guy who doesn't understand all this hi tec stuff..
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
I have a 2 gig card.  It cost $11 at walmart.

Just check the file size of the file you want to download.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
Jeff, I misunderstood. I thought you were talking paper maps    :banghead:  

I too like to triangulate a spot on the map (paper or otherwise) and punch in the numbers and go to it.
I'd like to think I was pretty woods wise but I've spent alot of time walking and looking for a particular place before when now I can go right to it. It will surprise you sometimes where something really is compared to where you thought it was  :-)
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2009, 02:53:00 AM »
Check the PN-20 or PN-40 from Delorme Best topo software by far.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©