3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hair-brained mtn. goat camp shelter...  (Read 726 times)

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
Hair-brained mtn. goat camp shelter...
« on: March 29, 2007, 04:26:00 PM »
I'd like to design some kind of larger shelter for our goat camps.  I've toyed with the idea of using ripstop nylon, etc. cuz it's light weight and would pack up really small.  My wife is pretty handy with a sewing machine so the shelter would have a zipper door and gromets all around for staking out.  I've been thinking about a tee-pee design or maybe something more like this, only I'd put walls on the ends.

I'd probably also put a hole in the roof or side for a smoke stack and make it about 10x15. I've also thought of just buying a tarp and customizing it to make it look like the diagram above. It would be simpler but also heavier than nylon.  
So I know this is probably way too much work, but to be able to go back to a warm place at the end of a soaking wet day in the rain and fog would be worth it. Has anyone come up with anything like this or have suggestions?

(oh yeah, Kifaru is too expensive and Cabelas is too heavy)

Offline Stephen_D

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hair-brained mtn. goat camp shelter...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
Maybe a crazy idea, but how about Tyvek? Maybe your wife could piece some together. I came across it while shopping online today looking for tarps.

It comes off a 9-foot roll. Each foot costs 1.70. So if you buy 10 feet, you'd have a 10' x 9' piece costing $17.

Is that cost effective?

The URL was blanked out. It's that e-place where everybody sells their stuff

Tyvek on sale here.
It's not the critic who counts ...

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 05:49:00 PM »
Ah, that's a good idea!  I'll look into it.  I've had Tyvek on goat hunts before but not used as a shelter.  I can't remember for sure, but it might even be flame retardant to some degree.  It's hightly likely that I would just leave the shelter up on the mountain once it's up there.  If I can come up with a good design that's not too expensive, I would stash more of them at different locations in a container of some kind.  

Keep the good ideas comming, I'm taking notes.

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
Good thought, but from 10 yrs of using it, do not use it for this application.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »
yep, Tyvek won't last long as my understanding  is its designed as a 'condom' for a house and meant to go over a hard rigid surface..  it would not do very well because it breathes as well..and from what I gather you don't want ANYTHING passing either way through your shelter- heat out or wind IN, right?
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking that it might want to tear if you were to pull it out tight.  Maybe, if nothing else, it might be used as an inner layer to help keep condensation down.  

Any thoughts on ripstop?  They make it with a "water resist" coating on one side.  Maybe the PVC tarp would be better even though it's heavier.  Seems like I've got a huge tarp at home that doesn't weigh THAT much.

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 06:21:00 PM »
1-800-BUY-A-TENT
 WWW.BUYATENT.COM
but really, your design, while easy to make, has a flat roof.  Not such a good idea in snow country.  Try google-ing "tarp tent" or "lightweight backpacking" and find some great plans for tarp and other lightweight shelters.
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
Thanks elkninja, I've been looking hard at all kinds of tarp tent ideas via google and have seen lot's of great ideas.  If I decide to construct something, it will most deninately have a pitched roof.  The rain alone, would crush a flat roof design.  Another idea I might try is go up pre-season and build a light frame with timbers resembling the shape and structure of a cabin.  Once finished, you could throw a tarp over it to cover the roof, front, back, and sides.  I'd take the tarp off when we break camp and stash it so the snow, etc, doesn't put too much stress on the roof.  If I can get my small chainsaw working again, I could probably knock it out in a day or so.

Offline HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »
you can buy bulk material, I use that silicone treated nylon, very strong and light, there is a place here in CO that sells all bulk outdoor material its in loveland do a search its called rockywoods or somthing close to that, see if i can find it,

I make my bivy sacks and tarp shelters, never again pay high $ for somthing so simple
There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to my mashed potatoes!

Offline HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to my mashed potatoes!

Offline rktscientist7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »
I think your design is a good place to start...there's the obvious problem with the flat roof.  Also, you might want to re-think your walls.  Flat, vertical walls provide a LOT of wind resistance.  Look at production tents for backpacking.  Almost all of them are dome shaped because it dramatically cuts down the wind resistance.  The flatter and more upright your walls are, the more they will need to be reinforced, staked and tied down, which adds weight.

If you want a really out-there suggestion material-wise, I highly recommend that you look into Mylar.  It weighs next to nothing, is extremely tough and has great insulating ability.  

Good luck!
The Few. The Proud. The Renegades.

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
Yup, wind could be an issue if I didn't find a good sheltered place to pitch it (which is likely).  So maybe a design like this is better?  
Next question, what would I use for a frame?  I think PVC tubing would break if the wind kicked up bad.  Maybe a couple of timbers bend in a half circle?

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
Ursus,

You should check out the Kifaru tipi thread...there is DIY info in there that might be just perfect for your application.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »
Ursus, if you take out the curves and make the sam ething, but imagining a center pole  (A frame) you won't need the timbers.

Let's invent the perfect tent (that can be made by someone like us).
ChuckC

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
More....if you design in vertical pleats, like you are sewing pieces together, but ovelap the seams a bit so you can sew in some clothes line, you can probably really strengthen the sides...AND if you end those clothes lines in the same place as a grommet for anchoring it into the ground, it might help prevent the grommet from ripping out the fabric.
ChuckC

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »
even more....do it the length of the tent so a tapered design ends kinda in more of a point at the back end and leaves cord hanging out the front that can be used as a guy rope with an adjustable loop.  Use paracord instead of clothes line, its stronger, lasts longer and is probably lighter.  

I think I am gonna make one of these....hmmm   Thanks For getting me started !
ChuckC

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
Steve O beat me to it. Why not a tipi design? If you have access to timbers up there it would seem like a no brainer to me. Heck, the Native Americans used them for how long?

Disclaimer - while I've been in a tipi, I've never tried putting one up, so I may be blowing sunshine here.  :)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »
Urus,

I seen a small design once when I was up there. I was moose camp but in sheep country. They use a frame and blue traps. The problem was that a moose decided one year to use the frame as a rubbing post. So if you plan on leaving it you should take it down as well. If you use bungies cords to attach it to the frame that would make it fast to set up and take down. If you could find a sell on old military ponchos they could be sown together. I have used them up there just buttoned 2 or 3 to gather.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
Boy Man, I had a ton of links on this very subject.  If you still talk to STevo, I believe I passed af ew of these onto him also.  If not I'll look them up.

I do leave sunday though and I wont be back till sept so if ya need them ya better holler soon  ;)

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
Ok, I know this design is nothing new but the goal of this project is to come up with something that's:
1) Tight and sturdy
2) Stove compatable
3) Big enough to stretch out and still have room for all your gear (packpacks, boots, cooking, etc)
4) As light weight as possible

I figured by adding extra guy-outs, it would increase the strength of the walls and give you more room inside by pulling the walls out.  The stove pipe could have an elbow in it so it could come out the side of the tent rather the top (would be easier than cutting a hole).  I'm thinking 10x15' or so.

Eh??

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©