3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which carbon for my new limbs  (Read 199 times)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Which carbon for my new limbs
« on: July 28, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
Just got the word that my new limbs are in,    :clapper:   so now I have to think about which arrows to use.  My current limbs are shooting around 53# @ 27.5" out of my Checkmate Hunter II.  I am shooting both xx75s and grizzlysik woodies 500s.  The Easton shafts are shooting 135 grain head at 30", the woodies are shooting 175 to 200 gr. heads at 28.5".

My new limbs will be 65# at 27.5.  I am trying to decide between the grizzly stik woodies again or Carbon Express heritage.  I am worried that the light weight of the Cx's will be tough to get enough tip wieght and still get it to spine right.  They will be around 342 grains at 28.5, leaving close to 300 grains to make up the 10 gr/ lb.  The grizzly sticks would be 541 at the same length.  

Give me your thoughts as I am still exploring the wonderful world of arrow tuning.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which carbon for my new limbs
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
I shoot 545gr GT's (55/75) out of my 61# recurve and 62# longbow respectively. Both are 29" with 175gr field points with I believe 30gr inserts and 70grs brass weights, all up front. Fly great. I thought of adding some fishing line or tubes to make them heavier but I keep blowing through hogs, bears, deer so I am reluctant to mess with it. I hope this helps.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
GT 55/75 will be hard to beat but Grizzly stick Alaskans with 275 or 300gr up front will work real well also.
hunt it

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
If your looking for wt, take a look at the Arrow Dynamic Hammerhead Traditionals.  With a brass insert you will have no problem getting to your desired arrow wt.

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
I use the CX Heritage 250's left @ 29-30" and use a 100 gr. insert and 150 gr. broadhead. My total weight is 610 and they shoot great out of a 62# recurve. I tried the 350's with same weight forward but they were too stiff............not sure what weight you're trying to get, but my set-up is perfect 10gpp since I only draw 27" anyhow...

ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »
Ben that combo sounds about right.  I might shorten to 28 and up then adjust the broadhead weight to spine correctly.

Badger, I know the Ad's are great, but very pricey, If I go with he CX's I'll be contacting you.  The mismarked woodies are still available and I could get 2 dz. for the price of a dozen hammerheads.  Thanks for the suggestions so far.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©