3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: RESULTS pg3 How much do you practice shooting ?  (Read 655 times)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
RESULTS pg3 How much do you practice shooting ?
« on: July 28, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
How many arrows and how often do you practice with your bows? What distances do you folks have everyday access to shoot? What distances do you feel confident with?

I am limited by work and access to 4 or 5 days a week maybe and my back yard is about 18 yards total. Maybe once a week at the range were the distances are longer. I am new to this I don't feel I am ready to hunt past 25 yards?
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Holepuncher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: RESULTS pg3 How much do you practice shooting ?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
Everyday at least 30 arrows, from 25/10 yards.
Good stuff ain't cheap, and cheap stuff ain't good!

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
I shoot every day maybe 100 shots during 2 or 3 sessions. I shoot regularly to 40 yards with an occasional 75+ lob. As season nears I shoot fewer shots with more determination on just one shot. Many will tell you to limit your shots to 20 yards or lees on game. I would say that depends on terrain as out west you may be offered a much longer shot that you should be prepared for.

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 12:50:00 PM »
I shoot every day that I can.  I'm a pretty good shot.  I don't think many folks here are ready to shoot past 25 yards...maybe one in a hundred.  I killed an elk at over 35 yards this year but that was VERY unusual.  I won't shoot at a whitetail past 20.  To answer your question, I usually shoot for about an hour or so 3 to 6 times a week.  More when I can.  Make practice fun and challenge yourself.  Shoot against someone, it adds pressure and keeps you sharp.  Flinging arrows only can sometimes be a recipe for bad habits and sloppiness.  Make every arrow count and don't shoot more than 3 or 4 before pulling.  I practice up to 40 yards but only to increase my feel for varying distances.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
i work out of town so at least twice a week. most of the time only one.  that said i am comfortable out to 20 yards on a TARGET. i dont any shots over that on game.  i practice most of the time 15 to 20 yards.  get a old basketball let the air out and kick it where it stops is the distance you get to shoot on the roll. this helps me in gaugeing distance out in the feild
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
Thanks guys, It's nice to have an experienced frame of reference.
I am finding that I shoot better when I shoot 3 to 5 arrows (like Horne Shooter) and pull. I am steadier and seem to have better concentration and control. It also extends my shooting time:)  When I get to the range I will shoot longer distance but my accuracy falls off. At 57 years old with creaky shoulders I shoot 50 to 60 arrows,much more than that and it becomes painful.
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
I generally practice twice a week for only ten minutes or so. I will bump it up in the few weeks prior to season and during season. Always inside forty yards. I like to shoot at very random distances. I don't shoot as often as alot of people I know due to time constraints but I shoot just as well or better than them most of the time. I think a small amount of very carefull and deliberate practice will go a lot farther than one would think for those who have trouble getting much time to shoot.

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
Everyday year round from a dozen to 50 or more shots from 5 to 100 yds.  I probably shoot 1 20 yd. or less shot for every 40 plus yd. shot I take.  I'm 56 and if I still want to shoot 75-80# I can't let the bow lay around too long.  I believe in the Paul Schaffer philosphy that if you practice long and can get consistant at that then the close shots are gimme shots.

Offline Saltydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
Sounds like a few of us are in the same age group. I'm 58 and recently retired. I sometimes shoot every day for a while then I might take 2 or 3 days off. Any more than that and I get withdrawal symptoms. I also vary my practices; sometimes just target dots, sometime 3d targets, and sometimes I make up a game using both. Two things I do consistently each time I practice 1-vary the distance on each and every shot, and 2-only shoot 5 arrows in each round. My distances vary from 8 yds to 50yds.

The only thing I would stress is stop shooting at the first sign of getting tired. Too many bad things start happening when you get tires.
I've learned that walk in the woods with my father as a child did wonders for me as an adult.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
I shoot everyday (unless it's pouring out),be it one quiver full or for 30 minutes.I have multiple targets(Block,3D deer,bags,stuffed turkey decoys) and can shoot up to 40 yards.I vary it up quite a bit.I also have a treestand setup in the yard as I do 90% of my bow hunting from a tree.Sometimes I like to vary it up during the summer and shoot BH's and FP's together too.

I'm working on my own 10 target 3D course too.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
not enough, but according to my wife, too much.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 05:24:00 PM »
As much as my shoulder let's me...  :(

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
vtmtnman, you are a lucky man. My version of a treestand is an 8' ladder. I'm always worried that a neighbor will call the police on me ...

Bobw, my wifes favorite tease is....it's the bow you love not me ....

joekeith, my shoulder and I argue all the time and it all ways wins ..........

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
I try to shoot at least every other day in my yard and about once a week at the range.

I rarely shoot more than 30 shots in a session
(a little more at the range).
For me, 25 yards is a very long shot on game.I can only shoot about 15 yards max. in my yard.
I set my blinds or stands for 10-15 yard shots on game.

Offline Scrub_buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »
During the HOT summer ... 3-4 times a week (usually every other day) maybe 20 at a session... late in the evening.

Come late August, I try to shoot more (and I shoot my broadheads) in preparation for hunting season.  I don't practice much over 25 yards and try to limit my shots to 20 yards and under.  Here in south central AL, foliage stays on the trees till usually early November, so long shots in the woods are nearly impossible to make anyway.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
Two things come to mind for me:
1) Shooting is fun so I do it whenever I can- given my life style- I usually can shoot at least a few arrows (10-20) 5x a week (with 1- 2X of those more serious at 50-100).
2) When it comes to training, Jay Kidwell's book on Instinctive Archery can help; as there is other types of training that you can do without releasing an arrow.  This other training is often neglected, yet may be some of the most strategic stuff you can do.  It has REALLY helped my accuracy.  

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline emfunk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
I try to shoot at least 40+ arrows a day at 10-25 yds from the ground and also the newly installed treestand in the backyard, from now till season opens its almost a routine for me.
"Go afield with a good attitude, and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and for the forests and fields in which you walk"- Fred Bear

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
Most everyday anywhere from 10 minutes to 4-5 hours.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Lehnaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »
I shoot every day and try to get a solid half hour in. I usually end up shoting more than once a day with my brothers if they want to shoot.
There goes another one to the arrow gods!

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
What Joekeith said. As long as my shoulder lets me also. I have had much of the cartiledge taken out of my shoulder socket when I had rotater cuff surgery. I get sore pretty quick. I try to practice every day and with my new tip, I have backed up to 30-35 yards. I would not do that with my Howatt Mamba. I am amazed how accurate I am with this new bow and some arrows by Paul Jalon @ Elite arrows!  The heat and the skeeters have an effect on how long I stay out also.
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©