3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Questions about sitka gear  (Read 281 times)

Offline Joe Russell

• Trad Bowhunter
Questions about sitka gear
« on: July 28, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
I'am looking to buy some sitka gear but dont know were to start. I'am unsure of sizing, I'am 5'9 220, and I would probably use it in milder
weather like 30-70 degrees. Which peices would be good to start with. Thanks for your input. Joe

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Questions about sitka gear
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
90% Jacket and Pants is where I would start. I am 5'10" and about 200, my Sitka stuff is 2007 stuff and I wear a L pant and a 2X jacket. I think sizing has changed since then. One of the pro staff should see this soon and give some good advice.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
I second the 90% set-up,I wear mine from mid Sept through December. Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 02:00:00 AM »
I have the old Mtn Pants, new Ascent pants, 90% jacket and Celcius vest.  Also have a few shirts, not sure what they are called.

I love the stuff for any type of hunting, late cold season in N GA, late winter hog hunting in CA, Summer hog/deer hunting in CA, and Late Summer/early Fall deer backpack hunts in CA.

It dries insanely fast, is durable, and just fits.  I am 5'8" and 155, I have never had a pair of pants that fit without taking them to the tailor.  Hard to complain about a $100 of great pants when I have taken $50 mediocre pants cut to fit a gangsta rapper and had them tailored for $20-$40 a piece.  Even then the fabric doesn't "move with you" like the Sitka stuff.

That Celcius Vest may be the pest piece I have, it is far warmer than its weight or even loft would lead you to believe.

I know I sound like a salesman, but I am just a very satisfied customer.

With a pair of gloves, a thin wicking and warmth layer, a beanie and the 90% jacket-ascent pants-shirt and vest and I am good to freezing.  Throw on a packable rain jacket and you have windproof and waterproof in a package that compacts very small.

Can't wait to be wearing my Sitka stuff, holding my Black Widow with a 60lb pack on my back hiking into the Eastern Sierra's.  A smidge over 2 weeks and I am there!!!!
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 06:52:00 AM »
I can't add much to Zbear, except to get some of the core pieces.  It is the best long underwear on the market.

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 07:12:00 AM »
Give the shop a call.  They would be glad to talk with you about sizing and what pieces work well together.

http://acsbows.com/id90.html

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 07:26:00 AM »
Zbear and SteveO just about covered it, I couldn't be happier with my gear and the new camo pattern this year.

My gear from three years ago still looks brand new except for a few snags in the pants from sticker bushes.   :D  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Joe Russell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
Thanks guys, has anybody tried the ascent stuff yet?

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
Yep, Ascent stuff is GREAT for hunting out west or anywhere you are doing any moving/climbing.  The jacket and pants have 4way stretch, so they move with you almost helping you when you climb.  Because of this stretch, you don't want to buy Sitka baggy like you typically do with hunting clothes.  You want a snug fit, the clothes will move with you.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
I really like the Ascent. As Steve said it stretches well and for some reason, it all fits me snug  :-)
If it gets wet from crossing a slough or rain, it doesn't get heavy and it dries out quickly. No more putting damp pants back on after a nap .
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Joe Russell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
I think I'am going with the ascent jacket and pant with the core top and bottom and maybe a celsius vest, thanks for your input. Joe

Offline Wallcrawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
I hope you try everything on first.  Sitka gear can be diffucult to get the right fit.  I am 6' 185lbs and I can wear their newer stuff like it was tailored, the older stuff ran small.  One of my hunting partners is around 230lbs and my height and he loved his whole Sitka system last year, boxers to jacket.  The pants fit pretty snug on me but they do stretch.  I can only wear the 90% pants if it turns really cold and the ascent stuff is great for Sept/Oct weather out here.  I don't hink you can go wrong with there products.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©