3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurve or Longbow  (Read 741 times)

Offline bowhntrct

• Trad Bowhunter
Recurve or Longbow
« on: March 28, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »
I am considering buying a nice recurve I am watching the classifieds here on tradgang but I keep seeing these killer looking longbows and they make me want one is it hard to go from a recurve to a longbow? I used to shoot recurve's years ago but went to compounds now I want to come back. So I'm starting over.Wow the things you can forget. thanks C.T.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,thoroughly used up and worn out,and loudly proclaiming WOW!! What A Ride!!

Offline Starkman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurve or Longbow
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 11:50:00 PM »
My opinion is that it is not difficult to switch from one to the other.  Pick one and become proficient with whatever you choose.  I've tried recurves, but there is something alluring about longbows.  I think there is a big shoot coming up in Alabama, Howard Hill Classic.  This would be a good place to shoot a variety of bows and maybe get a good deal.
Bob
"You're never beaten until you admit it." - General George S. Patton, Jr

Offline bowhntrct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »
Thanks Bob there is a shoot at tannihill state park april 21-22 I had planned on attending.C.T.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,thoroughly used up and worn out,and loudly proclaiming WOW!! What A Ride!!

Offline Big'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »
I started out with recurves and switched to a longbow out of necessity (my recurve had a crack forming in the riser. Those darn exotics). I shot it suprisingly well but did not like the weight of it(I like a heavier bow). I couldn't figure out why I shot it better(more accurately) than my recurve, though. Then one day it dawned on me that it was the grip. My recurves had all had high wrist grips and the longbow had a low wrist grip. It just felt more natural. I guess, because I was used to shooting a compound for 20+ years. Now I've ordered a recurve with a longbow grip.

You might want to give this a little thought. Anyway, I hope this helps.  DAVE
"If you want just one thing too much in life....Your life will likely be a disappointment" Augustus McCrae

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
It's a personal choice for me.I started out with a longbow and shoot a longbow better.I can shoot a recurve but it take alittle to get adjusted to the switch but always come back to my longbows.I like the looks of a longbow and prefer the grip whether it is straight,dish or locator.

Offline Stalker58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
Which ever you shoot best!!!
That's all that matters.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
I've tried longbows on and off for 15 yrs or so. Just can't shoot em.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
I like both! As you can see from my signature, I have and shoot both. I have a Bear Black Bear recurve coming into the fold soon (60" and 45#@28"). Each had its own good and bad points, depending on how you plan to use them. My longbow works great for hunting on the ground or from my ladder stand. The shorter recurves are better in blinds. I love shooting all of them.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »
Why is it recurve OR longbow?  Why not recurve AND longbow?  They certainly don't shoot the same, but I've got to believe that if you can shoot one, you can shoot the other.  Certainly hope so, I pick up my new longbow today.  That'll give me one longbow and (some would say) way too many recurves.  And I certainly will be shooting all of them!  Probably one at a time though.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »
There are so many choices now the only limits are the ones you put on yourself. You can get pretty much any grip made with any type of limb set. That being said try all you can get your hands on and shoot what fits you and your style. I like them all and shoot everything I can.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »
I agree with Dave, Shoot BOTH!!! Each can be had for Decent Prices if ya Look Real Hard!!
 Ya can Always find a Bargain in the Classifieds!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 09:46:00 AM »
Yup,Just like Dave said!!!!!

If at first you don't succeed.....Try a differant bow!!!!!   :bigsmyl:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »
Own and shoot both.  Look around, stop to yard sales.  I bought a Shakespeare wonderbow at a yard sale for a quarter (.25 cents), made a string and shot a fox with it that year. Be patient the good deals are out there.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
Longbow or Recurve is like asking Blonde or Redhead....
    To each is own....Go to the shoot and try some of each and then decide....(bows that is)
    As mentioned above, you can have both, just don't let one know the other....  :knothead:  
    I hvae only Longbows, Butt I do have a friends Recurve on the wall to shoot if I want to....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
C.T.
 Alot of the choice has to do with what you want to do with the bow. If you are going to hunt I suggest a longbow. If you just like shooting in the yard or competition or 3d ect.. Then either, or maybe I would favor the recurve a little. I say this because I believe the longbow has some advantages over the recurve if your going to be hunting. Everyone has an opinion and you'll get ones other than that. I shot both for years and primarily hunt. I have had less problems with deer jumping the string and make better shots when I am excited with the longbow. Buy 2 and test it out for yourself.   :thumbsup:
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline pistol pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »
I sot componds for many years then all of a suden the fun was gone. Went to shooting a recurve because everyone said they were easyer to shoot,then the old bug hit me for a Longbow,sold my recurve on **** and read as much as I could about longbows and thier makers. Finally settled on a Thunderstick MOAB its 53#"s of pure fun,62" in length and will take anything I hunt on the north american contenent.But what ever you decide make sure you like the grip of whatever you shoot and don't get overbowed,a 650 gr. aroow fling perfectly straight with a super sharp head and good placement will take down anything in the lower 48 and alaska,even if it's only going 170fps.    Pete

Offline bowhntrct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007, 03:50:00 PM »
Well there goes the kids college fund.Guess I better find another job.Soooo many choices.I can't wait for the shoot. Vermonster show that pic of your Palmer. If That bow shoots as good as it looks it's awsome.

Offline bowhntrct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
Pete the very first bow I had was a longbow a neighbor let me use when I was about 8 or 9 then he gave me a bear recurve I have had a Bear 76er still have a Browning Nomad Hunter and A Damon Howatt with several compounds in between I Just cant remember what the longbow shot like.... Gee I dont guess I should be surprised that was only 35 years ago!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »
Yep personal opinion. I shot recurves, then recurves and hybrid longbows, now just hybrids. But I'm seriously thinkin about gettin a traditional longbow just to check it out.If you want to read a great article check out the latest issue of Traditional Bowhunter Mag April/May issue and read why the master Byron Ferguson shoots a longbow it might help you in your decision.

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 05:15:00 PM »
try both. and then pick.
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©