3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dead Deer Walking  (Read 589 times)

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
Dead Deer Walking
« on: July 29, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
Just wondering how many of you guys and gals try and stop a moving deer before shooting. I have never tried to stop one, as I prefer to shoot them on the walk, as they seem a little preoccupied and less likely to jump the string. On most of the videos I've seen when stopping the deer (grunt, whistle, sing the star spangled banner) said deer will look right at the shooter. Dont think I would want to shoot a critter that knew I was there. Seems to add to the experience that they know nothing until that arrow touches them. What do YOU think?
Tom

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dead Deer Walking
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »
I agee.. If it is a slow walk I don't try to stop them..
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
Have stopped some but prefer the walk shot as well.
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
Where I hunt we have this dreaded stuff called Asian Honeysuckle.  At 7 yds there's no such thing as a wide open shot.  All kinds of little limbs and branches in the way.  If they're moving, I try to stop em in a hole to shoot through.
Otto

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
I'm with ya Otto. Too thick in these parts as well. If I have to, I'll stop them with a mouth grunt. Only after I'm at full draw. Then it's too late for them. Then I "Snufferize" them!!!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
I like the walking shot as it improves my odds. The deer could stumble into my line of fire.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 11:29:00 PM »
I always use a sent bottle,dip a Qtip in some deer pee a little fox urine.In that certin spot.Works like a charm use the correct sent and you may even pull that deer into your shooting lane.I always try to put it into a bottle of some kind so I can take it when I leave.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 12:27:00 AM »
slowly walking. . . 20 years of trad hunting, never had a deer jump the string that I can tell.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 01:00:00 AM »
I've done both, stopped them with a whistle and made the shot at the slowly walking deer. Hold low if you whistle as they will likely jump the string if you don't drop the string right at the end of the soft little whistle.
I've also used scent to stop them in a shooting lane.I use a smear of peanut butter on a limb over 5' off the ground, distraction, curiosity, aggrevation when they have trouble reaching it.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 06:40:00 AM »
I am glad you brought this up I had not really considered the ducking the string thing since I switched to trad.  I wonder how much you would have to lead a deer that was walking slowly at 20 yards. Might be something to practice on the old rolling 3D target.  Thanks

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »
I prefer to just let them be, but I have stopped a buck that was chasing a doe. I blew at him and he slammed on the brakes and looked around. A second later, he was bleeding...a lot! Now had he been walking slowly and I blew at him like that, I'm sure he would have known where it came from.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
Just depends on how they are acting.A lone deer I don't stop unless I have to to get a shot.If I see there is not going to be a shot I try and stop them and hope for the best.If they look wired and real alert I don't even bother.If more than one moving through together it seems stopping them works fine.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
Otto, if that "Asian honeysuckle" is the same as our Japanese honeysuckle, you're blessed. It's great high-protein deer browse, and provides cover too. Fertilize a patch and it's as good as a food plot.

I try not to take a shot on a deer that's been alerted, for any reason. I might try to stop a rutting buck on the run, but not a walking deer. When they're on edge, it's really hard to make a killing shot. When they're walking, they don't hear the bow as easily, and they have to reposition themselves a bit to jump, which give me a slight advantage. I'll take any help I can get!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
I stop em. works for me. IME, they dont usually know where the sound came from exactly.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
It depends on how close the animal is. A lot of guys using compound bows will come to full draw and then try to stop the deer. A lot of times ithe deer will stop and turn to look directly at the hunter on high alert. This is a tough shot with trad gear when drawing and shooting become fluid.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
It really depends on the situation.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
C2- you put peanut butter on a branch 5 inches off the ground; and the deer can't reach it ?  Peromyscus maniculatus ???   LOL    :saywhat:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
my experience mirrors Mike's(herdbull)....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
Don

I wish Asian Honeysuckle was of any value at all.  It's not.  It starts out as a small sprout and in a few years will have a trunk as big around as your forearm, be 25 feet tall and crowd out anything else.  Underneath the forest floor will be absolutely barren of any other plant.  It has a red seed that gets eaten by every bird in the forest, yet it has no nutritional value and it gets passed through virtually whole.  It drops to the forest floor and germinates and the cycle repeats.  Honestly there are woods in Ohio where the stuff is so blasted thick that it is impossible to even walk through the woods.  It is nasty nasty stuff.

Kind of the "Kudzoo of the North".
Otto

Offline FrozenFew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »
Well I mouth grunted a real beauty on a solid moving walk at 23 yards and stopped dead in his tracks he watched me finish my draw and made me look foolish as he jumped it clean and was already starting his turn to head out, the arrow went over his back and under his chin luckily!!  Ever since I have  put a scent bottle right where I plan to do my shooting, also I carry a small squirt bottle of scent in my pocket and carry a arrow with a small piece of moleskin at the nockend so I can make quick adjustment especially from a tree. dab some on moleskin and send the arrow where I want the deer to stop.  This trick is also handy if you are hunting from a tree and get a wind shift which changes the situation.  I've only used this trick successfully so far to try and steer does away from my wind and its a clever little trick to have in your bag.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©