3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dead Deer Walking  (Read 590 times)

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dead Deer Walking
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 12:50:00 AM »
Otto, If that Asian Honeysuckle was here I'd never go into the woods without the big Pump and Spray Round-Up slung over my shoulder when scouting.
Brian I accidently hit the shift key should have been ' not "
I edited it. I have a friend that hangs those little chocolate donuts so far up in a tree that only a big deer standing on its hind legs can get them; but every deer trys to get them. I found that out when I saw that his entry wound was right through the sternum of the deer as if he had shot it from underneath and I asked him about it. Is it still baiting if the deer can't get to it? I honestly never thought it was. Because they don't try long if they can't get it.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
Looked up the Asian honeysuckle- bad stuff! At least the kudzu that surrounds my house is good deer food when it's low enough for them to reach.

C2, chocolate donuts? I'm learning a lot here today...
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »
If the range is short and shooting lane is open, I'll take the walking shot every time.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
I'm with Otto. There are woods around here where there is no new growth for the last 10-15 years of native plants and trees. Hap

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »
same as you.I have had excellent results shooting them walking.. at a slow walk,  10 yds or so.. never had one jump string or any other problems.. stopping them to me seems like you are alerting them to something..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »
I know this is probably already obvious, but I always set my stands in places I call "triple edges".

I like corners where three types of terrain come together. As deer leave one type of terrain and enter another (except for open areas to thick- those they jump right in typically) they will almost always pause before doing so. If they are moving thick to thin, they'll stop on the thick side, before going out. If thin to thick, they'll pause just after they enter the thicket.

Or failing that, I find a ditch or stream that winds through an area of deer movement, then find the places they like to cross.

If you place a stand there, invariably when they come through, they will cross the creek and then stop on the other side before moving.

The same with a dirt road- they'll pause before they cross, and pause after they cross.

If you don't like stopping deer with grunts or noises this might be the way to go.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©