3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how many of ya hunt public land early in the morning?  (Read 638 times)

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
how many of ya hunt public land early in the morning?
« on: July 29, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
How many of ya hunt public land and get to your stands before daylight starts to appear? Because thats is how I am kinds forced to hunt at the time being, around here.  Thanks  :)
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how many of ya hunt public land early in the morning?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
I do. There are few trucks that early when I go if any. Different story in the afternoon. Lazy bstrds!   :D
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline illianabowhntr67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
I get out there well before daylight to beat the crowd.However if you can be in stand around 10:30 to 11:00 you will get deer moving do to guys leaving.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
I either put up a stand at O-Dark-stupid, or just find a ground spot and still hunt.  That allows me to sneak out of the area if someone else bumbles in.  There's limited public land here, so it happens quite a bit.  Generally good natured enough folks, but I still don't want to be in sight or sound of other people when I'm out.
Silence is golden.

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
Yep every year!

Where you at Yekret??

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
Always-----------even though 2-3 of my spots NEVER see deer untill 8:30-10a..... just like to get comfortable, watch nature, maybe take a nap---course that might be why I don't see deer till later  :bigsmyl:
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
We are fortunate here in Pennsylvania to have over 3.1 million acres of public land;  There are few places here where there is not a fairly large game lands or State forest.   Near my home the public land is not crowded at all until the first day of rifle season....the Monday after Thanksgiving.  I don't sit in tree stands though, I prefer to still-hunt or post along a trail between bedding areas and a small creek.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
I always try to get in before day light but I have a friend that is the best big buck killer I have ever met and he says a lot of times he waits until he can see a little before he goes in so he does not spook deer (I don't even have a number on the amount of big bucks he has killed and mounted from public land) he says it just depends on the situation.  
The very first deer I killed with a bow was on public land. It was dark when I got in there and I shot this tiny doe and it ran about 60 yards.  I waited 15 minutes and went to trailing it and I saw a guy in a tree that was only about 70 yards away from me he was pointing at my deer that died write in front of his stand.  He either beat me in there or was very quiet when he went in cuzz I had no idea he was there.  kind of funny.

Offline hawk22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
I hunt some public land up in michigan and it is nice because I have seen 3 other bowhunters during the past 5 seasons.  I usually can hunt all day and not see anyone at all.  I haven't shot a deer up there yet but I figure its worth a try.

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
well here in south east SD, I hunt a small public area, and I get to stand early and see lots of deer. Although I have hunted it in all diffrent areas, 2 years ago I found the right tree and the right spot were they move every day . It is only like 80 yrds from the road, so easy walk. I love it.Umm never saw another hunter all season, I hunt mostly on week days and a few weekends , depending on my work hours. Its a real easy walk from the car to my stand. So I am getting excited for hunting season! Thanks
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
New York has tons of public land as well.
I go in to my stand or the area I plan to hunt at dark but stop after several hundred yards to wait until I can see in the dim light. then I VERY slowly still hunt towards the spot I plan to stay for a few hrs.
I reckon so

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
At least a half hour before first light on private or public land..
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
Hey John....why don't you just sneak on Bill's private land???? I've seen him run...he's not very fast and chances are he won't catch you! :biglaugh:  

Public land here in southeastern PA is not bad on the weekdays but weekends are packed with guys.  In early and stay until noon and you'll get your deer.  Most guys are back to their truck by 9 and bumping the deer right to you.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 04:34:00 AM »
I do straight nights/weekends at work so I do my hunting during the week.  I go out at noon and hunt until dark and I have had a lot more success and sleep than when I was getting up at 0430 to go out.  Most people are out of the woods by noon.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 05:54:00 AM »
yes. no stands, though.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
I do, but rarely see anyone else.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
Got to get there early so you won't get shot. lol Always use a flashlight even if I can see how to walk going in and out in the evening.:)If I can't get in early I hunt the middle of the day and go in when most are gone.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
Ditto James Wrenn

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
Your right Tim. He probably couldn't catch me running, but I'm not sure that I could out run an arrow!    :scared:    LOL
I reckon so

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »
If you are hunting public land that gets a fair amount of pressure, the keys are 1. Go "Early" 2. "Go "Deep".  3. "Stay late".
Most people won't go more than a couple hundred yards from the road. Let them push the deer to you. To be affective, you really need to be settled into your set and hour before legal shooting light.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©