3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which Magnus Broadhead?  (Read 418 times)

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
Which Magnus Broadhead?
« on: July 30, 2009, 12:41:00 AM »
Ive killed deer with the Nugent Blades and Buzzcuts and think they did a great job. Although the blood trail with the Nugent Blade wasnt great it was good enough. However I shot a buck with a Buzzcut and didnt get a blood trail. It didnt matter as the buck died within sight and was down quick but still I was a little concerned.

The broadhead did the job as he expired very quickly but im almost wondering if I should try a diffirent broadhead. You see im color blind to red when its mixed in with greens and browns. I can spot blood in big spots but as far as small drops there invisible to my eyes. I want something thats going to cause heavy bleeding and quick deaths.

Should I just stay with the Buzzcuts or could would some suggest anything else? Id like to stay in the Magnus family as im pretty loyal to them ive been thinking about Snuffers but still not sure. Any thoughts would be great ill shooting 55lb bows and hunting deer and turkey if that helps any. Thanks guys.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which Magnus Broadhead?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 01:13:00 AM »
I'd go with Snuffers if easy to follow bloodtrails is your goal.
Atip on blood trailing when you are red/green colorblind...a large spray bottle filled with 10% hydrogen peroxide. Spray a mist on suspected blood and if blood it will foam up and efferveses.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 01:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by C2:
I'd go with Snuffers if easy to follow bloodtrails is your goal.
Atip on blood trailing when you are red/green colorblind...a large spray bottle filled with 10% hydrogen peroxide. Spray a mist on suspected blood and if blood it will foam up and efferveses.
I had them in mind I bet they leave a pretty big hole.

If anyone has pics of blood trails or shot photos please post and state which Magnus head you used. Id like to get an idea of what certain heads do.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline ALW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 07:07:00 AM »
Try one of the Magnus broadheads with the bleeder blades.  I used the Magnus 125 vented 4-blades for several years and every deer I shot with them left blood trails that Ray Charles could follow.  I never had any problems with penetration either.  And I was shooting a 50# bow.  

I had some Snuffers once but couldn't get them sharp.  That was before I found sites like this.  Looking at the list of bow you have shown I don't think you would have a problem with penetration with the Snuffers.

Aaron

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 07:07:00 AM »
A heavy blood trail is more a matter of where the animal is hit rather than the performance of the head type used. Razor sharpness is way more important than the model chosen.

An exit hole is also critically important in a heavier blood trail as well. If your bow has more than say 50 lbs. you are fine using a three or four blade model. If not stick with the two blade designs.

With 26 years of bowhunting behind me its been my personal experience that three and four blade heads aid in blood loss as well. They open a hole rather than a slit in an animals skin. This in turn releases more blood as the animal makes it escape.

Razor sharp and an exit hole should be your goal. If you buy a head that you can't get razor sharp throw it away and try something else. Also if you don't have a KME sharpener get one. Every bow hunter should have one.

My 2 cents

T.J.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 07:23:00 AM »
I agree with KentuckyTJ.Shot placement,SHARP broadhead.And a low exit hole will help also.You`ll hear alot about the snuffers on this question.(all good).
Harold Wetzler

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 07:34:00 AM »
With the weight you are shooting I would go with the snuffers as well if you want to stick with Magnus.If not concerned about brand the Muzzy Phantom would be an upgrade. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
For a two blade the 1.5" wide 160gr, three blade I use on bows over 60# the 160gr Snuffer. The blood trail on the Snuffer is usually like pouring it out of a bucket.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
Magnus I 150gr 4-blade

:thumbsup:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »
Do you any of you notice a diffirence in performance between the orgiginal Snuffer and the Snuffer SS? Are they pretty easy to tune? Im surprised no one has mentioned the Wensel Woodsman I thought they too were made by Magnus?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
Wensel Woodsmans have a large following and are a great broadhead...not made by Magnus, however.

I have not used the Snuffer SS, but they appear to be a smaller BH, definitely a "shorter" length/width ratio, which COULD affect penetration?  Just a guess.  They are pretty spendy (like the Stingers and Buzzcuts) and seem to be sharper out-of-the-box...
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »
Actually I think most BHds out there are made by magnus these days!
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
I've seen some great blood trails from 125 gr. Snuffers.
I use a Snuffer tamer(3riversarchery) and get them very sharp.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
Certainly nothing wrong with your Buzzcuts, your next animal with one would probably be a gusher bloodtrail.  Just the intangible side of bowhunting.

Magnus does make the original Woodsman for 3Rivers, but not the Elite.

My favorite Magnus is the big one, the Magnus I "flying hatchet" as I like to call them, and Snuffers are the stuff of legends.   :thumbsup:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »
I may stay with the 2 blades as I just discovered the lighest Snuffer you can get is 125grs that was my fault for not knowing that.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
thanks for clearing that up on the WW's, Tim  :readit:
Woodrow F. Call

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©