3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Groundhog movement?  (Read 600 times)

Offline suzie_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Groundhog movement?
« on: July 30, 2009, 12:49:00 AM »
are they just like most other animals move more at dusk and dawn or are they a mid day creature. i just got word on a spot that has an over abundance of them and was gonna do some stalking to try to get me one. thanks Aaron
Whack'em Track'em and Pack'em

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Groundhog movement?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 03:59:00 AM »
Aaron-
 Ground hogs are out at dawn and stay in and out of the den most of the day and until dark. I had anti-hunters that begged me to hunt them; as I could do it unseen and unheard; and a woodchuck will walk down a row of bean sprouts and eat every one of them. They make enemies of the strangest people.
 They are habitually close to a den; if you find a den; figure out a quiet way in; or take a chair and sit and wait them out.
 They are really a challenge; and worth the effort. I think they are one of the greatest animals to hunt with a bow. You will learn so much from them- check out that spot !!!
 I suggest the same arrows as when your hunting deer. I used broadheads.   :thumbsup:    :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
I shot one with my recurve last Saturday. Managed to get within 8-10yds because they were around the other side of my shed busy fighting. I had never seen that before, maybe it was the groundhog rut...... :saywhat:

Anyway... To answer your question, It was mid-day around 2pm I think when I shot him.

If they feel safe, I have seen them run around all day. If not, you won't see much of them at all, even morning and dusk. If they are uncomfortable they stay closer to or are in better cover.

Find some high grass, climb a tree or sit tight to some hedges and you wil get a shot on one. You have to be real patient though.

-Charlie

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
3:00PM has been my "Magic Hour". The may be more visible in cut fields in the evening but they are active around their woodlot holes in the mid afternoon. I rarely hunt them in open fields and do my sneaking inside the edge. Nice and shady in there too.  :)
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »
Groundhogs are like squirrels.  If it's a nice day when you feel like being out, they'll probably be feeling like being out too.

I've shot a lot of them back in PA and mid day is good if not too hot but evening seemed best.  Again, it seemed to fall back on that "nice time of day to be out" situation.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline suzie_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 06:43:00 PM »
they are in my grandpas pasture which used to be a hog lot so there are alot of hog sheds still there but he has seeded everything back to grass and has a few brush piles and fire wood ranks around the edges. he told me there is at least five of them denning in the hog sheds and several others in the brush piles. he says he sees them alot while hes mowing in the afternoon so i think i might give it a shot this evening. thanks for all the info.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »
Good Luck!

Use a sharp broadhead and hope for a pass through. Otherwise, you may lose an arrow or two. Those are the breaks though. They can be hard to kill, learned that lesson the hard way.

Have fun,
Charlie

Offline suzie_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
UPDATE
 one whistle pig down.  will add pics if i can figure out how to do it. may have to wait til the wife gets home to show me how.

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
They tast good to if you prepare them right.Make sure you get ALL of the sent glans off.I know there`s at least 6 glans.Put the grounhog in your slow cooker with your faverite spice`s and veggies.
Harold Wetzler

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 08:31:00 AM »
Here's a little trick if you miss one an it goes down it's hole. Quickly run around (180 dgrees) to the other side of the hole with an arrow ready on your bow. The chuck will reappear shortly (most of the time) and will be looking where he last saw you. You will have a good chance at a head shot with him looking the other way.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 08:31:00 AM »
I've never eaten them, but I met a guy who puts them in pot pie. He also said to take out the glands in the pits emmediately, and field dress them.  He said if you soak them in salt water over night, it will draw out the remaining strong flavors.
  Has anyone ever shot them out of trees? I haven't figured out why, but I've caught them napping a couple of times. Makes for an easy kill.  They'll do this a lot in orchards and hedgerows between fields.  once you spot them they're stuck, and the only way they can escape is by dropping out of the trees.  If they're above 15 feet, I don't think they'll try this. They'll usually just stay really still, and hope you don't notice them
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 60" 54@28
Brad Moore t/d recurve 62" 60@30

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 08:36:00 AM »
They are tough to kill and usually break or bend your arrow trying to get back in their hole. If you can get the sun behind you sometimes you can sneak up on them. You have to wear a blaze orange hat in Pa. while hunting groundhogs so it is a little harder.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »
When I saw the thread title I was worried that they were getting organized!    :p
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
LOL!  :biglaugh:

Offline foxfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 08:58:00 AM »
Oh , they are Vermonster, they are......
Gopher Cong you know.......ask Bill Murray

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
I have shot several out of trees. I have seen them eating mulberries while sitting on the limbs.
I never saw them climb very high, highest maybe 6 feet on a leaning tree trunk of limb.
John

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
I've seen them up to 20 feet or so in wild pear and maple trees.  Usually when I see them they're either in the crotch of a branch, or laid out on a nice thick branch.
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 60" 54@28
Brad Moore t/d recurve 62" 60@30

Offline suzie_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
They have over ran that little pasture and this is the first time i have seen them out there. it is littered with mulberry trees and hog sheds and little brush piles perfect habitat for them. I was out there almost everyday when i was younger and pretty much kept it critter free but now that im grown and on my own they jumped at the chance to move in. Wrong now that i know they are there. gonna go back out today and try to keep them from infiltrating the perimeter. these things are a blast to hunt especially with nothing else in season here.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
Need pics, Suzie! Still looking for some around here. Seems more farmers in this area are planting alot of alfafa. Maybe someday soon they will comeback. Good shootin, Steve.

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
I heard they have a good nose.So when i`m sitting by a hole,i`ll try and stay down wind and have the sun to my back.If you can`t play both at least play the wind.And remember"aim small hit small".
Harold Wetzler

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©