3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dark side of carbons over alum  (Read 321 times)

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
Dark side of carbons over alum
« on: July 30, 2009, 07:01:00 AM »
I have been shooting carbon Bemen 500 since I changed from alum xx75 1916. They are good shooting arrows and what I like is they are either good or broke. I have seem a lot of talk about adding weight to the shaft to get them in the range of 500 + to increase the punch tru. Well be retired on a fixed income and being cheap. I have added  a 2 inch 10/22 alum screw with head cut off and then filled the length of the arrow with 1/8 inch poly rope. The end result is the arrow now weight is 556 grains. They still seem to fly like darts.

I have 3 sets of BH's that I have used in the past they are 125 gr, one is two blade, one set is 3 blade and one is 2 blade but has the small bleeder blades. I shot all into a BH block and they all fly well out of the bow, should I go with just the 2 blade for increased penertation, or the BH that will give me the biggest hole for bled out ??? or wil I get just about the same punch thru based on the weight of the arrow ????

SOB
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dark side of carbons over alum
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 07:21:00 AM »
Well everone has there own ideas of course.Mine is pretty simple..the biggest broadhead I can get out the other side on a consitant basis is always best.To me shooting a small broadhead instead of a larger one if my setup is capable of using the larger one as well is crazy.  ;)  Shooting a two blade if I could put a 4 blade through the same critter..again crazy.Bigger holes mean more blood,more damage and more recoverys.Most times when we blow a shot it is because the animal moves forward and we hit a little too far back.That is when the big blade pays for itself. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Mike Lee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
I shoot in my yard most of the time because it is nice but I shoot at three other ranges in my area. All three public ranges have pieces of carbon arrows laying around. I have one set of carbon express heritage and don't shoot them much because I am cheap. When I robin hooded one. It's still as broke as the aluminum one that it happens to or the are lost in the field but they cost a lot more.
This year I started shooting Easton Blues (XX75)and they seem to be a fine arrow. I first bought them for practice in the same size I hunt with to save my hunting arrows. I can't tell any difference and if your on a budget, the blue color at 31.99 a dozen don't seem hard to live with. They do come in 1916 and 2016.
 Mike Lee.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 09:31:00 AM »
I'm with James.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
Careful with the rope/chord. It will bunch up at the point end of the shaft eventually leaving you with a very different FOC. It will also be very difficult to remove.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
I am biased in regards to big holes and faster/easier blood trails. I would go with multiblade heads.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
You know my Bear Razorheads cut a pretty big hole, in and out.  Of course I'm partial to them, like an old hunting buddy.  No need to fix something that works so well.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
Big holes, short blood trails.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
Ron LaClair turned me on to the great big Ace Super Express heads last year. On the end of a Carbonwood 3000 they made one helluva hole in the doe I shot at ShrewHaven. It looked like a hatchet went through her. When shooting carbons, I'm a big believer in lots of wieght up front.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
Whatever you have confidence in - sharp in the right place.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©