3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tuning grizzlystik sitka  (Read 283 times)

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
tuning grizzlystik sitka
« on: August 02, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
I've searched the forum and gathered some information on tuning the sitka grizzlystik.  I got my hands on some the other day and I'm really struggling with getting these to fly well....so much so that I'm pretty close to putting them in the classifieds section.

I rolled each arrow across a clean/flat countertop and marked the spine with chalk.  I then tested the mark by re-rolling several times to confirm that I indeed marked the correct spot.  I then made a permanent mark with a sharpie for future reference.

The arrows are 29.5" and have a 72gr brass insert...arrow w/o broadhead weighs around 370gr. I'm shooting my 55# Kodiak.  All of my shooting was with broadheads.

I started shooting these arrows with a arrow wrap and 3 offset 5" feathers.  I had my cock feather out and the cock feather was glued on the spine side.  I shot with cock feather out and I shot cock feather in.  I've shot 100gr, 125gr, 145gr, 160gr and 200gr broadheads.  I've adjusted my brace height up and down...same with my nock point.  All indications (from what I can tell) are that the arrow is stiff.  I'm getting rapid wear on my strike plate and the arrow wants to hit left of where I'm aiming.  In addition, I can't get them to fly like darts.

I traded a Morrison to a guy for a 62# BW @ 28".  I met him today and to exchange bows.  I figured this bow should be able to shoot these arrows.  Same results and I've tried most all of the arrow/broadhead combos mentioned above along with brace changes and so forth.

I even fletched some 4 fletch to try to mask the problem and they still fly like crap.

I'm at a loss....I've tried the spine side against the riser and away from the riser....Am I missing something?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tuning grizzlystik sitka
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
No you're not missing anything.  I had the same experience with Sitkas.  The most wildly inconsistant arrows I've ever had!!  I finally put them on my Adam's spine tester and found them to vary in spine by more than 20# in 18 shafts.  Out of 18 I finally got about 6 to match up in spine enough to shoot.  This was my first and only try at carbon shafts, I'll stick with wood and aluminum!!
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
same with me.  I fought alaskans for several years.  In hindsight I wish I hadn't.  In theory their great arrows, in reality I no longer think much of them.  IMO.

Now Arrow Dynamics on the other hand are every bit the arrow that Stiks were trumped to be.  I can guarantee, in the few dozen I've owned they are consistent as the moon in its phases.  I flat love em.  They shoot well no matter what point weight I have on the end.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »
Wow----strange to me, as the Alaskan's bareshafted fine for me, once I figured out the spine differential. I am shooting a straight long-bow, 56 # @ my 27 draw with the shafts cut to 28 inches.  250-270 gr points.
Could it be your shafts are really too soft-spined, and are flexing around and hitting the riser?
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©