3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A hunting we shall go, 2009 Colorado elk  (Read 3329 times)

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
A hunting we shall go, 2009 Colorado elk
« on: August 02, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »

We have been planning on another backcountry horseback elk hunt.  I invited Al Kidner to come and chase elk with me.  He did not hesitate and said he would be here.  I am going to try to put him on some elk and mule deer during a two week excursion on the Continental divide in Colorado.  I have never met Al but I think we will get along fine.  We have been messaging back and forth and have the details mostly set.  I need to keep up the preparation though because there are a bunch of things that have to get done before we can disappear from our civilized lives and slip into the wilderness.

I had Ron Laclair make up a couple of bows for me.  I have never bought a new bow before, only second hand sticks I found through the classifieds.  These two bows may be the only new bows I ever buy.  Curly burch, elk antler tips, bow bolts, carbon and foam limbs.  The grey one has a phenolic riser to handle the 69 pound draw weight.  The brown one is only 60 pounds.  They both like my heavier arrows.

These are the components for my heavy arrows.  Cabela's carbon extreme shafts, brass insert, steel weight, 7 inch oak dowel internal footing, 160 gr STOS broadhead, and gold reflective tape for an arrow wrap.  The gold tape is the same color as the brass insert but the camera flash made it glow in the pictures.  I use a 4 inch yellow barred 4 fletch with fletch tape.  Compenents add up to 730 gr on my reloading scale.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A hunting we shall go, 2009 Colorado elk
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »
JDB,

Always love to follow your adventures.  Good luck!

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »
looking forward to reading about the hunt, hopefully I can do something like that someday
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 12:03:00 AM »
Good Hunting Doc. You and Al get after em.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
John,

I wish you and Al a great elk hunt. I enjoyed discussing bows and arrows with you by telephone before I went to Africa. I have corresponded with Al on a number of occasions too and expect he will be a joy to hunt with.

Those Shrews of yours are incredible and look fantastic. I sure love mine and will have two more on the way within a month. Shoot straight and bring home the meat.

Take care,
Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 12:30:00 AM »

Here is my practice area in woodside hollow deep in the Ironwood forest.  I live in the Des Moines metropolitan area but am lucky to have a few acres of woods to insulate me from the city so I can keep a few horses and shoot anytime I feel the need.  My son and I have been practicing.  I am shooting pretty good, and my son is going to pack my old redline super shrew takedowns this year.  He has gotten good enough to take a longbow this year and leave the wheelbow at home.

This torture device is a necessary part of elk hunt preparation.  The elliptical crosstrainer gives your legs a real good workout and is low impact on your joints.  I hate to say I recommend it but it will help you get ready for the mountains.  I abhor every minute spent on this thing but I have found that if I plug in Jermiah Johnson or Monte Walsh it is tolerable.  I will have to listen to the Elknut DVD's once more before we leave.

This dude caught me by surprise the other day.  His wingspan is nearly as wide as the 2x6 board he is resting on, approximately 5 and 1/2 inches.  I didn't know what it was so I looked it up on the internet.  This is the Imperial moth.  They do not have any apparatus to allow them to eat.  They emerge after midnight, breed the next day and then die within a few days.  Mundane trivia that keeps my life interesting I guess.  This is a large wild silkmoth that lays their eggs in the trees that are abundant in my woods.  As large as it is I cannot imagine I have never seen on before.

I hang my tents from a pulley in the loft of this 120 year old barn.  This keeps them dry, free of mildew.   A couple of days ago I took them down, rolled them up and stuffed them into a duffle bag in preparation for this elk hunt.

Word of warning.  I mess with horses every day of my life.  I know horses.  I cannot recommend what I am doing to anyone as a safe activity.  Packing with horses deep into the mountains is not something you should try without some experience.  I grew up around horses and have many years of experience doing this.  I know what to expect from my animals and they know what to expect from me.  They recognize me as the supreme ruler of their universe and look to me for comfort and guidance.  I can't imagine taking someones rental horse on such a trip, would be asking for trouble in my book.  Horseback backcountry elk hunting is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on, so if you must, you have been given fair warning.

I keep 12-15 horses at any given time.  I have my old standby horses, ones I am training and others I am trying out.  I have been upgrading for many years to get the good quality dependable animals I have now.  I raise my own hay which eats into my time every summer, but its cheaper than buying hay.  I put up 80-90 tons a year, about half of which is in this pile.  Two more cuttings to go.

I have a couple of trailers.  I was going to sell my old white trailer but it was getting kind of rusty here and there and needed some work.  I wire brushed it with the angle grinder, and sprayed it with some primer and a couple of coats of light Ford Grey tractor paint.  I also rewired the lights this week and it is still a pretty decent serviceable trailer.  We will be taking 9 or 10 head of horses this trip and will need both of these trailers.  The Hillsborough trailer can haul up to 8 horses and the older trailer can haul 4 head.  We will not be crowded for trailer space.

I haul a fair amount of feed up into the mountians.  I take two horses just to haul horse feed.  Here I have a pallet of 30 bags of 12% sweet feed and 5 bales of pine shavings that I have already loaded into the trailer.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 12:45:00 AM »

While I am using horses now I am open to other equines.  I had mules 10 years ago and we did not get on real well.  Partly my fault, partly the mules fault.  Anyway I am a much better horse trainer these days and am ready to give mules another chance.  This is Fred.  He is the future of my packing string.  He is not quite two and still has some growing to do.  He is only about 14 hands and that will be big enough even  if he doesn't get a lot bigger.  He is out of a Peppy San Badger high quality cow horse mare.  I think he is a handsome young mule, Rose dun with racing strips.  He is an in your pocket mule that really likes people.  He pushes all of the horses out of the way to come and be with me.  I understand that the people friendly mules make the best saddle mules, so he has that going for him.  I intend to have him ready to pack for me next year and we will see how he does.  I intend to add a mule every year and transition over to mostly mules.  They seem to be able to go farther on less feed than horses.  It takes a pretty good horse to go where I hunt, country that should be a piece of cake to a good mule.

Al,  This is going to be your mount for two weeks.  Mac is a 15-3 hands quarter horse that is gentle as a dead pig. I hope you have good luck with him.   I have bigger, better, more spirited horses but I use my very best animals as pack horses.  You may want to ride one of those after we get to base camp but this is the one I would recommend for you.

This is my favorite mount.  He is a half thoroughbred/quarter horse.  He has a great handle, is pretty spirited and has enough stamina to haul my big carcass around without giving out.  If you haven't noticed I am partial to the grulla color.  Life is too short to ride a plain jane horse if you can find a good one of color.

These are also saddle horses.  The chocolate palomino is my son's ride, and Charbineau will ride either the copper palomino on the left of the buckskin on the right.

I have a couple different kinds of pack saddles.  I purchase the adjustable arches and plastic bars from an outfitter supply  in British Columbia.  I buy tooling leather and buckles and make my own rigging.  These adjustable arches fit the horse much better than the old wooden crossbuck saddles.  I have less problems with loads slipping and no problems with hot sores on my horses with this new style of saddle.  I still have an old crossbuck saddle that I rigged up just for this trip.  I am taking an extra packhorse and rider this year and needed the extra capacity.  I am needing to stop here.  More tomorrow.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 06:07:00 AM »
MS,

I have a friend in CO who has 4 mules.  He LOVES those mules for pack trips.  I don't think he would trade them for a dozen horses. You should bring up last years thread; as I remember, it was primo entertainment, especially the commentary from that flatlander you took along  :D  .

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 06:32:00 AM »
The prep for a hunt is one of the most enjoyable parts...GOOD LUCK!!

You picked a great hunting partner in Al K.    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 06:38:00 AM »
Al opened up his home to me when I was in Australia and I spent a week with him and his family.  You will not find a better person or family and I am sure you guys will have a good time and a wonderful hunt   :thumbsup:
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 07:24:00 AM »
This is one of my favorite hunts to read about each year.  Good luck guys and have a safe trip.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 07:39:00 AM »
Great thread already and it's just getting started.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 08:54:00 AM »
WOW...

First off, thanks Jo-jo for the kind words mate. As you already know ... you and yours are always welcome.

Secondly, John thanks for the pics, I am so looking forward to this trip and have done all year. In my minds eye I send a footed shaft through a fine and dandy Bull everyday thinking of this hunt, also a handsome Mule deer.

The pics are cool and I look forward to getting my hands dirty helping out both before and after the hunt. The Mount you have chosen will do fine, as you know I too spent my life around horses but this will be something special.

Keep it coming mate.

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
As always I am looking forward to following this thread through the whole process!  You always do a fantastic job bringing the whole hunt to life in cyberspace with your awesome pictures and writing!!! Good luck to both you and Al!  :thumbsup:
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »
Sweet looking bows Doc! Looking real forward to reading your adventure stories. While Al is on his way to hunt with you Mel, Andy and I will be headed to the Land Down Under. Have a great hunt and I`m sure Al will have a fantastic time with you.
hunt it

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
:archer:     :coffee:

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »
I'm enjoying this one and you guys haven't even left yet!    :jumper:
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 12:48:00 AM »
I am having internet satellite connectivity problems resulting in extremely slow image data transmissions.  Not much more for pictures at this time.  Here below are my best pack horses.  They are big, stout horses, broke to ride but able to handle a big load on the pack saddle.  The first picture shows them just ready to go to work.  Middle picture I have them running in line in the round pen. All they have to do is stay in line and follow the guy in front.  I run them at a gallop for 15-20 laps and this puts them in their right mind.  They know there is nothing but a world of work inside the round pen and they had better conserve their energy and not act up or they get a session with me to work out some of their problems.  Last picture shows some spent horses after a good workout.  There is nothing better than wet saddle pads for the development of a better working horse.  

Al and I are planning to hunt the first two weeks of Colorado archery season.  We have elk and deer tags.  My son is only able to hunt the first week and Eric, one of my old longtime hunting partners will be out for the second week.  Charbineau another old hunting partner will be with us for both weeks.  I see dead elk in our immediate future.  I wish everyone could have the experience of hunting elk in September, there is nothing like it.  Unfortunately I can only take 2-3 people at a time with me.  I am pretty sure this will be the only time I make this large of an expedition.  I like to work my horses but one trailer load at a time is likely enough for my future hunts.  I have trouble  finding enough time for keeping 10 head worked and in some kind of conditon ready to go.  We will savor every moment of this trip and do our best to put some meat on the pole again this year.

Offline piggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 03:40:00 AM »
I too am enjoying this post, thank you for taking the time to post and I look forward to the future posts.
Hope you all have a great time.

Cheers

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »
Do horses coming from 800-900' elevation of Iowa have the same acclimatization issues that humans have for the first few days when hitting the high country?

I spend months organizing my stuff to just fit in a backpack. I can't imagine the planning it takes to bring a herd of horses and all of their gear too.

Great post and photo work.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©