3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A hunting we shall go, 2009 Colorado elk  (Read 3344 times)

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A hunting we shall go, 2009 Colorado elk
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to document your hunting trip, I really enjoyed reading about it!

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
Great read, watch that bruise, you could develop a veracious vein problem in that leg. It happened to me. Sorry can't spell. I have to wear ace raps on both my lower legs to keep the bad veins from breaking and bleeding all over. It all started with a deep bruise that I disregarded.
But I still made 12050 ft on our hunt this year, the top of Charles Peak. We didn't make a kill and just barely found some elk but have the luck of being able to go out again later in the season.
Looking forward to the rest of your story
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »
Wow!  What a trip and thanks for taking us along.  I look forward to this every year.  It is almost as good as being there with you.  Hope the leg does well and soon.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »

I enjoy having a good fire to consume all of the combustible garbage that we generate in a week of camping.  I would rather not have anything like that to pack out.  We do not have any campfires during the week.  I don't care to have the smoke on me.

As I mentioned earlier, we stopped at Ole's Big Game Lounge and Steakhouse in Paxton Nebraska.  I have been stopping at this place since 1975 and still like to drop in for a great burger on my way to or from the mountains.  We had a nice lunch here on our way home.  

We had an uneventful drive home and spent a day convalescing at my place prior to Al having to board the plane for Australia.  My family enjoyed having Al in our home and hearing about how things are in the land down under.   We are not yet speaking Australian but we do understand it a bit better since having Al here.

I will leave it up to Al to tell you about his hunting experience, I will not be the one to steal his thunder.  When he gets the time he may be able to post more of his fine pictures.

While elk hunting in the mountains with horses is always a grand adventure, this trip was a bit sobering to me.  I wounded more game this past month than I ever have in a year of hunting.  I shot a 4x4 mule deer in velvet the first week, quartering away at 20 yards hit in the shoulder.  The arrow blew completely through and stuck in the ground and left bright red frothy blood at impact.  The blood quickly dried up and after tracking the buck across the creek twice and starting up the mountain the sign all vanished.  In my experience this is probably a single lung hit and not likely fatal to the deer.  I blew 2 slam dunk range opportunites between Thursday and Sunday last week.  I have plenty of time to practice before I return next year.

Offline Wallcrawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
Great story and pictures as per usual!  Thanks for the tale and the honesty of what transpired.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
Fantastic story!   :thumbsup:   I haven't read this much since High School.    :notworthy:

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
Thankyou MO Sherpa for the documenting of your hunt. It is great to read about your hunts!
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline pathdoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
Great hunt.  Cannot wait until next year!  Also, looking forward to Al's account.
"Head down.  Swing easy.  Follow through."  - good golf and life advice from Dad

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2009, 12:54:00 AM »
Just landed home... I'll sort a few things on my end and get my details up here asap.

Cheers all,

Oh and well done John so far.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2009, 08:03:00 AM »
Sherpa,

Excellent story.  I always look forward to your hunt each year.  You get to do this the way most of us only dream of doing.  Thanks for sharing.

Marvin

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »
Al, it will be interesting to hear how the excitement of a high country elk hunt compares to the adrenaline rush of hunting brumbies and buffalo.  Both are off-the-charts good stuff.

John, didn't you also bang up a leg last year?  Tough luck on the bull, but with the number of big boars you saw, do you think a bear might have covered the elk with a brushpile?  It wouldn't completely account for the loss of the blood trail, but might help explain the abscence of magpies and ravens...

Many, many thanks for letting us hunt along with you.  Unless somebody posts a story about their hunt for Marco Polos and high Altai argalis, this will remain my favorite thread of the year.    :readit:    :notworthy:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
Many thank yous for the kind remarks.  I know I am the lucky one that gets to do this stuff and I like to share the experience.  As I have told Al, everyone likes an audience sometime.

Woody, I have banged up my body more times than I can remember on these hunts.  Its part of the deal for me I guess.   I don't recall any injury last year but two years ago I did have a horse roll over me that gave me a similar bruise from my beltline to my toes.  I need to start being a wee bit more careful.  I am sure the bears have been eating good since I have been in the woods.  Four of us spent a day looking and two of us a second day.  I would like to have gotten my broadhead back, done an autopsy and salvaged the rack if at all possible.

Good to see you made it back home safely Al.  You might tell of how I nearly bagged an Australian at the wallow one day.  I nearly soiled myself that day.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
Hahahah.. John, mate I thought we were not going to tell that one...lol. But Ok... seeing as I'm waiting for my pics to download.

Now.... this day John's son Jacob and I hunted together. Jacob is a quite lad and he and I got along well and John has a fine yong man to be proud of as a son.

Anyhow, Jacob and I new there was a wallow above us on a bench so we slipped our way quietly up to the edge of it and pulled up for a mid morning snack of jerkey, fruit and Snickers bars. Note to self.... NEVER, ever eat another snickers bar again! One a day for 2 weeks was and is enough for this aussie Sherpa!

We sat down an chatted quietly enough and looked about the views below us. All of a sudden a bugle rings out not far from us in the direction of the wallow we were just sitting off. With a mad scramble after bows, face nets, shooting gloves and arrows as quietly as we could be, we spit up and stalked this "Bull" heading into our wallow... but it was no bull. The MO sherpa beat us up to the wallow and let out a call that had us both thinking of 6x6 Bulls!

Talk about "Greenhorn" Elk hunters...lol. I guess the "OLd Bull" beat the younger, fitter and better looking bulls to the wallow that day....lol. It sure was funny.

I'll post more soon frinds. I've a "To-do" list as long as one's arm and I'm heading back to work on Sunday. Oh the joys of internation work....

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
Welcome home Al.....I'm so looking forward to hearing about the hunt thru your eyes   :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
Take care of the important family things first, Al.  We can wait.  Not very patiently, mind you, but we can wait.    ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
Doc thanks for sharing your stories and pics, I really enjoyed them very much. Glad your accident wasn't any worst than it was, hope your leg heals fast. Al we'll be waiting patiently for your pics and stories, well, we'll be waiting.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
Yeah Sherpa, that slice to the finger last year hardly counts as an injury... good thing there was a Dr along.

Al, you are not the first hunter to stalk another hunter in elk country. Glad you made it home safe. Tell us more when you can.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2009, 04:26:00 AM »
Sounds like you had a good time, congrats   :thumbsup:  thanks for sharing!
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
Spectacular!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
Sherpa, I was wondering if you noticed any beetle-killed pines while you were hunting. The north slope of the Uintas here in Utah is about 80 to 90 percent dead. I also learned about the need for aggressive tread in elk country. I ofter wondered about how experienced people were who were telling everyone to wear soft quiet shoes for stalking. I will take off my boots and wear thick socks if I want to be real quiet. Nice pictures and story, Thanks, Gary

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©