3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A hunting we shall go, 2009 Colorado elk  (Read 3340 times)

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A hunting we shall go, 2009 Colorado elk
« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
Gary,

Most of the pines are already dead in the area where I hunt. They have been dying off for the past 4-5years and now there is a lot of standing dead timber that we pass on our way into camp.  My hunting area is over 10,000 ft and at these higher elevations the trees are green but those trees are mostly spruce with an occaisional fir or pine.

The Rocky stalkers I have are worn slick because they are soft rubber, quiet and comfortable.  I only wear them to hunt and have worn the tread off of them because I like them so much.  For this hunt I also brought a pair of Russell Moccassin Sheep Hunters with a stiff Vibram cleated sole.  They feel like walking on a piece of board.  I called the Russell factory yesterday to see if I can get my boots resoled and they do have a quiet soft rubber sole option they can resole with for $52.  I am going to send them in as soon as I can find a box.  I have stalked deer in my bare feet, really cold mud in Alberta during October.  Effective but not comfortable.  I don't think I need to worry much about stalking elk in my bare feet but for when I do need a quiet stalk I am going to try getting a pair of neoprene diving shoes that Al Kidner recommended to me.  We saw some at Bass Pro Shop the day we go back home.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
G'day all,

Well I've some time up my sleeve this morning here, so I thought I'd keep this thread at the top for all to see my adventure.

Well after landing in LAX, then a conecting flight onto a place where it starts with M, has a lot of apples in the word and end with s, I landed in Des Moines at 1130 pm in the evening, a tad jet lagged but still fresh and it was good to finally meet John in person.

John picked me up at the baggage claim and we hit it off stright away. I've a lot of time for John (and his family) as what they done to open there house to a total stranger from 1/2 way around the world and "down under" was something you just dont see all that often these days. Typical Tradgang I guess...

John had to work the next day so he left me the keys to his truck so I may see a bit of the country side and also the new Bass Pro that has opened up near Des Moines.

I just had to remember you yanks drive on the wrong side of the road!

I've never seen anything like a Bass Pro and we have nothing like that here in Aussie, so I took my time and spent 4+ odd hours there...lol.

Looking at all the fine animals about the shop and looking over items that I alreay had was fun in itself. Not much in the shop for the Traditional hunter but in all, it was a good experience for an aussie to be a part of.
 The sales people in the shop got a kick out of an aussie being in their store asking for a photo or two. The customer service was 2nd to none, and I flet none of it was a put on or fake.

Looking at all these critters kept my mouth watering and my minds eye keen to see one on the ground...

I did not buy much, only small things for my family and t-shirt or two.

More to follow....

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
Naturally John and I, over the next two weeks talked hunting. From animals, places to hunt and gear selection, all was covered in detail.... as only hunters do. More then once I told John of my eagerness to hunt bear, be it Black of Grizzly. And after seeing this fella mounted it only high lighted the fact...

I'm 6'2" so this, I guess is a tall Bear, but I would have thought he'd be bigger... you know ....like the scene out of the movie 'Breaveheart'..... "I thought William Wallace was ten feet tall...."...lol.

That'd change some when, and if I get closer to the real thing -that being a grizzly- with stick and string.... as we did twice over the hunt with Black bears, but more on that later.

Oh, and after seeing my old mate Fred Bear here I just had to get a pic also. I've always loved reading about Fred and his adventures about the world, from his humble beginings to his hunts on the little delta, I've always been a fan and he is someone to admire in my book.

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #123 on: September 18, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
The next morning was Friday and John's son Jacob turned up to help with getting the horses ready. We did some light packing of the trailers and sorting of gear to keep us busy until John finished work around 5 pm.

Now I must add in here that John is a father of 4. I only meet three of his kids over my stay and what a credit they are to Mr and Mrs Berger. Jocab was a fine young man and a all round good young lad. We got on well and Jacob is welcome around my camp fire anytime.

ak.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
Always my favorite tread of the year. This year's no dissappointment!  :clapper:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2009, 05:46:00 AM »
:campfire:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »
What a great thread!    :thumbsup:   It took me about 45 minutes to catch up!   :coffee:
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
Ok I just finished the whole thread.  Pheeww.  
What a read!  Thanks for sharing that.  Sounds like a ton of fun and a lot of work!! But isnt Elk hunting always that way.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
We loaded up the horses that afternoon and made out way outa Iowa. And as John said, we had a few troubles along the way but in all, it was a steady trip to the trail head the next day after missing a day due to problems with the truck.

We had loads of Kit to take up and as it was, we were down one horse due to illness. John needed a fare amount of Mountain Dew to keep his addiction under control!

After loading up all morning we finally made our way along the mountain trail to our hunting area...

We had a light shower of very cold Colorado rain on our way up and we had to don the rain gear. Not long after, we stopped and did some fine tuning of the gear and pack saddles as well as give the horses a rest of the up hill climb.

After a long up hill climb we finally arrived at our hunting basin... man.... what a view!

And here is the next morning... it's going to be hard to take this High country Elk hunting with views like this!

More to come people... I gotta fly now back to the sand pit for work but I'll be online asap to fill in the rest of the story. Should be about Monday ish...

ak.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
Watch your topnot Pilgrim.  

Be careful in the sandbox my friend.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: September 20, 2009, 05:23:00 AM »
Great stuff, Al, great stuff!

:thumbsup:
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: September 20, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
Very COOL!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #132 on: September 20, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
G'day again fine Trad Ganger people.

Well currently I'm awaiting on my connecting flight back into the fine a wonderful city of Kabul, and at present I'm enjoying a latte as the sun come up here in the Middle East.

My bat for my laptop may not have enough heart to last as long as I'd like but I'll keep at the story as much as I can.

With camp set up after our arrival in the hunting area we had a few shots and talked about the days hunting ahead. The first morning as John said, we hunted together just behind camp and spooked some cows and a bull. Tough luck and I was still pinching myself that I was actually hunting in the CO rockies.

This was my sleeping quaters for the next two weeks and found it rather strange to have a stove pipe comming outa the roof....

It does not get cold where I live ( North Queensland) & as John knows, I've only seen snow once, that was whilst working in Kabul last Christmas. So hunting in cool cilmates is something all very new to me, but I think I handled it all ok as I tend to sleep warm anyhow.

I'll also add that I've never hunter Elk before and  felt all very "Greenhornish" to the whole affair. I flet as if I had to re-learn to hunt again as Elk are much like our Red Deer but still it was a whole new animal I was planning to put on the ground and meat in John's coolers.

Before the hunt I asked myself and anyone abouve listening that I wanted only one good chance.... I'll do the rest... just one good chance at a bull and that would do me. As it turned out.... I was given that one chance... but I'll get to that soon enough.

Have to run as my bat is on the dead side. More to follow....

ak.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: September 21, 2009, 01:32:00 AM »
Al, ya rascal! Where's the power lead?
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline bloodyarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: September 21, 2009, 02:19:00 AM »
:coffee:
Hunting The Way of My Ancestors
(The Traditional Way)

Eddie

Offline piggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: September 21, 2009, 03:57:00 AM »
Mate you blokes are dragging this one out, the anticipation is killing me.
Enjoying every word, thanks for taking the time to post so we can all share in your hunt.

Cheers Mate

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: September 21, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »
:pray:
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: September 21, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
hope Al gets a break soon....

:banghead:    :campfire:    :rolleyes:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2009, 03:03:00 AM »
The billy's on again, Al...

TTT
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2009, 03:56:00 AM »
Great stuff Al. I got a fresh batch of popcorn and am eagerly awaiting the next instalment.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©