3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A hunting we shall go, 2009 Colorado elk  (Read 3331 times)

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A hunting we shall go, 2009 Colorado elk
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 08:25:00 AM »
Do horses coming from 800-900' elevation of Iowa have the same acclimatization issues that humans have for the first few days when hitting the high country?

I spend months organizing my stuff to just fit in a backpack. I can't imagine the planning it takes to bring a herd of horses and all of their gear too.

Great post and photo work.  
Took the words from me....
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
A horse has a unique perspective that we humans can only speculate about.  Remember the horse has to stand up in the trailer fighting to maintain his balance for a 14 hour road trip from my house to the trailhead.  This trip usually occurs at the end of the workday beginning on a Friday evening and we drive all night.  Then after they have probably been awake and on guard for over 24 hours we ask them to haul ourselves or a 200 pound load 8 miles up the mountain.  I am usually exhausted by the time we get camp set up and I can tell they are pretty beat as well.  The horse has incredible lung capacity compared to us and I doubt they get as short of breath as we do but I do believe they may be a little lightheaded or feel goofy until they have had a day or two to get used to being at base camp 10000 ft elev.  They do seem to enjoy being up in that valley, grazing in belly deep mountain grass and getting a good ration of sweet feed every day.  My horses do not usually get any sweet feed, just hay, so this is a real treat for them.  We have to go back to town after the first week and the horses can make the return trip back up to camp in about 3 hours compared to the 5-6 hours it takes to get there the first day.  They seem to know where they are going and we really haul going back up for the second week of the hunt.

Organizational skills are important I guess.  I prepare all year long with pack trips in mind.  I start repairing gear as soon as I get home from a trip.  After doing this for the better part of 15 years I kind of know what I need to do and where every thing is but it does take time to have everything prepared.  The trailers need to have lights that work, good brakes, bearings replaced every 10,000 miles and I keep a set of old grease packed bearings just in case I need a replacement on the trip.  Multiple spare tires, serpentine belts for the trucks, spare hoses, oil, fluids, fuses, light bulbs, electric wire and tape, fix a flat in a can, hydraulic and handyman jacks, wood blocks, air bubble, spare leather for repairs, hoof boots, spare rope, halters, buckles, rivets, horseshoe nails, iodine, vet wrap, blood stop, needles and suture etc.... the list is extensive but as the saying goes, I would rather have something and not need it than need it and not have it.

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
I've hunted a few times out west and this thread always fills me with pleasant memories and hope for the future to "do it again".  This is a hunt to fill all our dreams!  Please sir, go ahead on....!

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 01:15:00 PM »
Your dedication to this is incredible. Best of luck to you and your crew.  :notworthy:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
Ya know, this puts a whole new perspective on the topic that was up a while back about people using GPS to mark their guides "honey holes" during an elk hunt on public land....

It was mentioned by several that they wouldn't care because most people wouldn't have the means (i.e. horses, trailers, gear etc.) to get back into those spots.  Until now, I didn't really have much of an idea what that effort entailed and I can now better understand the point.

You guys are gonna have a great time.  I'd love to do that some day.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »
Impressive.....  :thumbsup:
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
This will be good.............as usual.
  :campfire:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Once again this is going to be one of the best threads of the fall.  You'rea an amazing man Dr. John!  Not many people have the drive to hunt as you do.  Horse back elk hunting in the Rockies is in my mind the absolute ultimate hunting adventure, and you do it right!
And Al, you are a lucky man - you couldn't have found a better way to live out your dream!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
Joe,

Just think of all the gear and goodies you could fit in  THOSE trailers   :biglaugh:

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=90;t=000383;p=1

This should be the url for last year's installment.  Nice story treatment by Shaun Webb that will give you some idea of where we are going this year.  Return visit to the same valley.  We have been lucky to pull a couple of nice bulls out of this unit the last two times we have been here and are really looking forward to going back.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2009, 07:18:00 AM »
I think I've read and reread that link Dr John a hundred times!

Cheers Whip, with some pre planned luck 'ol mate we'll meet up for a chat over dinner or something?

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2009, 08:54:00 AM »
I always look forward to this thread.  I agree, it's one of the best of the year.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »
Sherpa, love it man.

Looking forward to every post, I love all of the details of getting your stock read and getting there minds right.

keep it coming.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
my kinda huntin trip bro...i love packin in on horse...god willing i'll be able to make it back into the caps in 2011.nice thread
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline piggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2009, 04:56:00 AM »
Good luck on the hunt and hope you all have a great time.

Cheers

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2009, 06:05:00 AM »
wow, threads like this make me angry on my ancestors for not migrating to less populated countries...

THX for sharing
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2009, 07:27:00 AM »
Yep... going to have a blast!
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
Great post sherpa! Thanks!!

Also... Al, I really enjoyed your TBM article and have always enjoyed your posts (I've "lurked" in the background for a long time).

Best of luck on your elk hunt.

P.S. Loved your arrows too!  :thumbsup:
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
Fall is back!!!! Good luck guys, and thanks for sharing a very special hunt with us.   :thumbsup:  It sure helps us understand the works of a hunt like this.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
John,
Looks like you need a vet to accompany you on these trips   :bigsmyl:   Best of luck and great start...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©