3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A hunting we shall go, 2009 Colorado elk  (Read 3330 times)

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A hunting we shall go, 2009 Colorado elk
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2009, 12:28:00 AM »
Jeff,

I needed a vet the past few days.  One of my good pack horses has pneumonia.  My vet was here a couple of days ago to do health inspections and make out travel papers for this trip and things looked good.  The horse had some mildly increased breath sounds bilaterally but was afebrile.  I told the vet I noticed this horse had a cough the day before.  Yesterday the horse is major sick, rapid breathing with contractions, coughing up green phlegm, did not take his temp.  I have been giving him 3 million units of IM PCN the past two days and he is better but I don't want to rely on him to get me up the mountain.  I have another horse that has developed arthritis in his shoulders.  I have been giving him IV Legend and he is better but not going to be fit for the trip.  I am going to be a horse short for this trip.  I can load em up a bit heavier and we will get to camp but I hate to have too bulky of top loads, just asking for trouble.

I did the main part of my grocery run today and did a little cooking.

Some of my favorite camp fare,  Shrimp, chicken and cajun sausage gumbo with rice.  Easy fixins that will warm you up on a cold night in elk camp.

I have help too.  Thor is a 98 pound boxer.  He is my constant companion, especially when I cook because he knows good things fall his way from time to time when I am in the kitchen.

I have been busy with horses putting loaded packs on them and getting some miles on them.  I think we are about ready horsewise.  I need to repair some broken straps and lead ropes from my training practices but pretty much ready to go equipmentwise too.   I still have to pack my clothes, camp boxes, arrow and bow boxes and get a couple dozen broadheads ready for me, my son and Eric.  I will wait to load the trailers until Al gets here.  I have meetings to attend after work on Monday and Tuesday so there isn't much time in the schedule between now and when we leave Friday afternoon.  It will go by fast.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2009, 05:01:00 AM »
Doc, you could have used a vet on your hand last year too. I bet that knife cut on the finger left a mark and I know Tippit carries a stapler in his kit.

I have some of the last of Eric's elk thawing for a final home meal on Tuesday night when Jim gets here. A supper of elk roast to remind us to pick a spot. We are heading out Wednesday morning to break trail down I-80.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
Shaun,

I am down to a couple of packs of ground elk.  I probably would not have that if I didn't hide it from Jacob.

Good luck, I know you guys will have a great trip.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »
Love it!  Something I'd love to do sometime too.  I've only packed in on foot and out by foot (five toed foot).  Always wanted to do this way back in somewhere.  I get "in" about six miles by foot, that is a haul.

Good luck and keep it coming!
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »
Good luck Guys, Can't wait to hear the stories and look at all the pics. Ya'll have a save trip!!!!!

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
Great start to a thread I can't wait to see the updates. That grey Shrew really looks nice. Fred the mule is from Peppy San Badger?! WOW!!! That must be some mule. Can he cut cows too? They have some really nice cow horses down on the King Ranch.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
Jcar,

Thank you on the Shrew, I enjoy having it.  Fred has not even had a saddle on him yet as I have been too busy getting my horses in shape for this trip.  He is only two and I will have time to get him started under saddle this winter.  Jury is out on what he may be capable of.  I don't have any cows to work so Fred will be getting trained to be a packmule and trail riding mount unless he proves to have some fault I am intolerant of.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
Good Luck to you Sherpa, and please take care of Al, he might be afraid of the dark ...yeah right!   :scared:    ;)    

Go get'um guys!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
JDB,
Best wishes on the elk hunt.  I got the opportunity to spend a week on a mule last August in Utah and cherish all of those memories.  The mules were fabulous in the mountains and the guide claims, as you do, that they work harder on less fuel than do the horses.  I can't wait 'til I get another opportunity to tackle the mountains on a mule.

Best wishes.
homebru

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2009, 08:09:00 AM »
Flying out in the am people!

And yest Guru.... I am afraid of the dark!
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline pathdoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
Sherpa- I've read your September stories now for a few years and can't wait for yet another.  This is the first year in 15 years that I will be unable to hunt elk with my bow...like many others, I'm going to be living through your hunt and through the elk hunts of others who appreciate the importance of posting their hunts for others.  Best of luck to you and the boys and can't wait to read all of the stories that you accumulate in your 2 weeks in the hills.  Take care and follow through!
"Head down.  Swing easy.  Follow through."  - good golf and life advice from Dad

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
;)   Good luck buddy.....we'll get together some day    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
Man I love these threads! Good luck to you all.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2009, 01:05:00 AM »
Bring it on!  I am ready for an update from the wrangler hisself - MO Sherpa!

Have a great hunt in CO!

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2009, 08:58:00 AM »
And so it begins....

I picked up Al at the Airport at 23:30 last night.  He has the day to rest up from his journey.  We have a huge new Bass Pro Shop that opened up yesterday and he can kill a couple of hours there while I go to work.  We will begin to load the trailer tonight in preparation for our westward departure tomorrow afternoon.  The days have been long leading up to this day, getting everything squared away for the trip.  If I don't have it in the truck and if I don't haul it up the mountain we will not have it, so I hope I haven't forgotten anything important.  

We will have some good conversation, maybe a wee bit of Makers Mark and a thick Steak at my favorite steakhouse this evening.  I anticipate elk season like a kid at Christmas and this year was just as bad as any.  I am ready for my vacation to begin.  More later as things develop.

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
Looking forward to your posts.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline bloodyarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
Hunting The Way of My Ancestors
(The Traditional Way)

Eddie

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
Have fun!
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
Waiting for the updates!!! Have fun boys!!! I know MO Sherpa will take lots of pictures and I  like everyone else here am really looking forward to the stories and the pic's.  :thumbsup:
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
Yahoo! Get 'er goin' and the best of luck to you.  I can't wait until you get back with......
the rest of the story!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©