3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A hunting we shall go, 2009 Colorado elk  (Read 3334 times)

Offline marshall brown

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A hunting we shall go, 2009 Colorado elk
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
This is great Sherpa. Please keep it comin.

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing a great story and all the pics..Will be waiting to hear more of this adventure.

Terry

Offline Strutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
Been waitin on this since you guys left.  Looks good so far and thanks for sharing.

Rob

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »

Several mulie does were hanging around camp but less than usual.  The spaven bag of bones matriarch kept running all of the younger animals out of the park.  From time to time a pair of spotted fawns would briefly appear, but never stay too long.

There were countless squirrels, pocket gophers and chipmunks of all sizes.  We also had a very small brown weasle slipping around camp but he was quick and difficult to capture on film.

Al tried for a long time to get a good photo of this bird with the sun on his back.  He was spectacular irridesent blue but would not cooperate.

Al used his rapid sequence shutter to capture the use of a fly rod in motion.  I only caught one fish this trip.  I like to fish but don't have the keen interest in it that I used to.  Catch and release cutthroat.

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Loving every minute of this, Thank you very much John for taking the time to share it with all of us.

Looking forward to the rest!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
You're doing a great job, John! No need to hurry through your story I'm enjoying every bit. Thanks for sharing. Keep the pictures and details of the trip coming.  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
John this is GREAT   :clapper:   can't wait for the rest of the story!!!

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2009, 11:46:00 PM »

Tools of the trade for this game.  I prefer the sound of the Carlton fighting cow call. I also use an old Woods Wise Hyper Hot cow call when I want to make a long range estrus call.  I discourage the use of the sceery type duck calls and hoochie mamma calls especially by tone deaf novice users.  I would rather hang back and do all of the calling myself than hear what comes out of some of these devices.  I figure if I can tell what it is from 500 yards off it won't take too long before an elk figures it out too.  I use a Primos bugle with the terminator tube which gives a very good range of bugles for me.

Al has some fine glass in these Swaro 8x30 binos.  They are lightweight and crystal clear.  I am just about ready to spring for a pair, maybe after I trade trucks...

The first day we were able to hunt Al and I went out before daylight and slipped up the end of the meadow into some cool wet timber.  We encountered elk less than 200 yards from camp.  I made two mistakes that morning.  First I ignored some cow calls about 80 yards upwind of us.  I swore it was birds... but it wasn't.  Turned out to be a bull and 4-5 cows.  The cows filed by me at about 25 yards and the bull hung up about 40 yards ahead of us.  No clear shooting lanes.  We were stuck between the bull and his cows.  I indicated to Al that we needed to get in a little neck of woods between the creek and the meadow because the elk would be using that as a travel corridor/funnel as they tried to get back together.  I took two steps with the bow in one hand and an arrow in the other which was mistake number two.  I should have had that arrow nocked.  I locked eyes onto a cow elk in that patch of timber, 20 yards in front of me.  I could have shot her if I had an arrow nocked.   As it is she just walked off before I could get nocked up and draw my bow.  Fact is I didn't want to shoot her anyway.  I don't like to shoot cows if I think I can get a bull, and I know there are big bulls around in this valley.  We called to the bull for awhile but never got a shot at him.  Things were looking good.  We had hunted less than 2 hours and had some exiting action close to camp.  I need to elevate my game some, you can't afford to make any little mistakes around a savvy bull.

After going back to camp for breakfast and taking care of the horses we saddled up and rode about 4 miles above camp.  This was a nasty rocky trail and the horses had sore feet by the time we complete our ascent(extremely sore feet by the time we got back home)  We saw some fantastic habitat up there but very little sign.  We figure there was one old bull up there, with no cows.  He bugled to us several times, we found his beds and a few big rubs but no evidence to suggest there were any cows.  We were looking for him when we ran into the big old bear.  There were several mule deer there and lots of mule deer beds. We had muley tags but were mostly interested in elk.  We returned to the horses for the ride back to camp.  Crossing the creek I slipped on a boulder and landed with all of my weight on my shin just below the knee.  I thought I had broken my leg.  I took some xrays today and there is no obvious fracture.  My calf swelled up larger than my thigh for the next two weeks and limited my excursions a bit.  I am durable but not superman.  I slipped down a waterfall tracking a wounded elk a few days later and skinned the same leg.  I thought I would pass out but didnt.
I must give some advice here.  Wear good boots with plenty of traction.  I brought two pairs of boots for this hunt including a relatively new pair of Russel sheep hunters that are stiff as wearing a board on your soles and a 4-5 year old pair of Rocky Silent stalkers that feel like old tennis shoes.  I use those boots for most of my hunting because they are extremely quiet and have a lot of feel when you are stalking.  I have worn the soles slick, no traction, which caused my foot to slip out from under me, several times on this hunt.  I am going to retire those boots from any future elk hunts.

inside (medial) left calf
    outside (lateral) left calf

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2009, 12:24:00 AM »
Ouch!! Glad it ain't broke but it looks sore. Great hunt so far. THANKS    :clapper:

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2009, 12:43:00 AM »
Keep up the good work you make me feel as if I was right there with you guys. You're living my dream. Skippy
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2009, 12:45:00 AM »

Al took this picture of my son Jacob on top of the mountain above our camp.

I tried to hunt with everyone for a couple of days so My son, Eric and Charbineau all took turns hunting with me and Al and each other on different days.  I lost track of who hunted with who and when but I do know that bull elk were seen almost everyday, sometimes several times a day and a man with 100 yard shooting range(as in a muzzleloader) could have killed elk on a daily basis.  We saw wet wallows, dry wallows, more wallows than you can remember and countless rubs.

Al and I did hunt together a couple of times.  On the day we say the blue phase bear I took him up to overlook the next basin from above.  We stopped so I could have some berries along the way.  If they are good enough for the bears they are good enough for me, and baby they were dead ripe, perfection.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2009, 12:46:00 AM »
We arrived at the edge of the basin and I let out a friendly locater bugle which was immediately answered by a bugle from far below.  We looked at each other and before a word could be spoken there was a bugle from high above us across the basin.  Quick inspection of the far rim revealed a nice bull skylined on the horizon  
 Ridge where the bulls skylined and hillside with hyper elk activity

Before the morning was out the opposite hillside was covered in cow elk, spikes and a weary 6x6 bull that was chasing satellite bulls, trying to keep his cows and fighting a loosing battle.  He screamed and bugled and grunted and chuckled.  He paraded across that hillside with his tongue hanging out.  He disappeared into the timber below us and did battle with another bull.  
We could hear the other bulls calling getting fainter as he was pushed down the valley.  The tired bull returned to the wallow and laid up with some cows.  While all this was going on I was also calling.  I was able to draw some cows up to our side of the canyon.  There they were, about 25-30 yards from me, staring right at me.  They were standing broadside, about 5 yards from Al, who had positioned himself just off the trail they were using.  They were oblivious to his presence, as they were fixated on me and my calling.  Al declined the opportunity to shoot a cow at point blank range.  I also declined to shoot from 25 yards.  I guess we were not going to let those bulls go unhunted.  The cows bugged out and went back down to the wallow.  Another bull appeared on the skyline.  This is probably the same bull my son Jacob had at short range last year. He came into a wallow and caught him by surprise unable to get off a shot from 9 yards.  That bull left him as a trembling lump of jello, unable to move.  This was a huge bull, extremely wide, likely 12 inch whale tails, 18 inch dagger points and long sweeping brow tines.  I would guess this bull to be 380 minimum, likely larger based on the extreme mass.  He looked a lot like this bull Al photographed at Ole's Big Game Lounge later in the week:

We also stopped at Cabelas in Sidney Ne. on the way home and agreed that this bull was as big or bigger than most of their mounts.  Truly a tremendous bull.  We had to decide what to do with the rest of our morning.  The big monster bull called to us for half an hour before disappearing over the opposite mountaintop.  The big 6x6 was still calling to us from a fixed location.  I guessed he was bedding down for the day and we had a good chance at him.  Al agreed and we elected to pursue the big bull another time.  Al would have an encounter with him later in the week.

This is the bull we were after. I had several minutes to inspect him from inside 20 yards and I think he is a 300 class 6x6 with moderate mass, a decent trophy in my book.  Picture was taken as he was parading on the hillside opposite our hiding spot.  We descended into the canyon and held up until the wind was right.  There were many boulders, large ones as big as dump trucks, that were left by the last glacier to recede into this valley.  I took a position on top of one of these big rocks to watch and cow call and sent Al in to stalk this bull.  Things don't always work out as planned.  I had been sitting on the rock for about 5 minutes after Al left and I spotted antlers to my left.  That sneaky old bull was trying to get upwind of me and was trying to find the source of my cow calling.  I slipped off the rock and positioned myself for a shot.  The bull would have to pass between a big boulder and a tree.  Probably an 18 inch wide shooting window and 18 yards away from me by my leuopold range finder.  I directed a soft cow call away from me over my shoulder.  The bull came around the boulder as if on a string.  I had about 2 seconds to pick a spot and release an arrow.  The winds are extremely shifty and fickle in these high mountain basins and it is just a matter of when the elk will smell you, not if they will smell you.  If you dawdle for an instant your target can disappear quickly.  I shoot around 70 pounds of shrew classic hunter with a 730 gr carbon shaft and STOS broadheads.  I released the arrow and it disappeared into the base of the bulls neck right at midline.  I had a full 30 inches of penetration right down the middle.  The bull crashed off down the mountain rushing past Al below me.  We had to search for the blood trail and when we found it we sat and waited for 30 minutes.  We tracked the bull for nearly 3 hours.  Halfway down the mountain we found half of the arrow and large amounts of arterial blood.  The bull had obviously stopped here for a while and then went crashing off through the nastiest spruce thickets that were nearly verticle falling off the mountain. The spruce trees looked like they had been painted with arterial blood wherever the bull had brushed against them.  We trailed him to the creek.  He did a peter pan, disappearing into the waterfall.  We had blood at the edge of the creek but could not find where he went.  I spent the next two days searching for him, looking for crows and magpies but never did recover him.  I have killed an elk, an antelope and a whitetail with this shot and it has always been lethal.  I am certain this bull is dead because he could not survive with that broadhead ripping him apart internally through all of his visceral organs.  The mistake here is you must let frontal shot animals or any animal with a marginal hit lay up for at least an hour or two before you pursue them.  This bull laid up until we pushed him too soon.  I am disappointed in losing this elk but I would take the shot again in an instant, maybe aim a couple inches lower, but wait before trying to track him down.

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2009, 01:52:00 AM »
Anybody who has hunted for a decent period of time has experienced that feeling you have about that bull.  You believe you put a kill shot on an animal and then second guess yourself when you don't recover the animal.

Sounds like you did all you could to try and find it!

looking forward to the rest of the story!

We leave Wednesday for our elk hunt.  Hope we have half the action you had in what you have posted so far!  Cept, I could do without the bears and the cracked shin, LOL!

Chip
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2009, 07:37:00 AM »
Sounds like another great hunt Doc. Well told so far. My leg hurts just seeing the pics of that bruise! Hope you are healing up now.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
Sherpa, as you already know Elk are tough and can take a lot of punishment before going down.

We learn more about the animals and our self's every time we go afield.

I wish I never made a mistake when hunting, I have and do and probably will aging, we just hope to learn from them and try and not make them again.

Some times things happen that are out of our control, even with a deadly shot into the vitals.

We made a conscious decision to limit our equipment to Longbows and Recurves to get up close and personal with the animals we hunt, there are so many variables that can happen in the blink of an eye that change everything it's amazing.

It may sound cliché, but you did all you can do, the hard part is second guessing your self.

I know how hard you worked to get-r done.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »

This area we are hunting has many small unnamed lakes.  I thought Al's picture of this one, with the skyline reflection was especially good.  There are wallows around the far edge of this pool.

Al took an excursion or two by himself.  Last day of our hunt he set off for the snow fields and took this pic.

He climbed one of the nearby 12000 ft peaks and added his name to the jar.

Al took this picture on the last day.  Obviously by now we had established that we were not hunting for cow elk.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
I sat a wallow one afternoon by myself. This is my self portrait kill face.  You might think this is a Bill Grave's impersonation but its not.  I was cold and my leg was killing me.

We had some rain for 10-20 minutes most afternoons and on this day we were treated to a rainbow.  Our camp is at the end of the rainbow.

I only got to hunt with Eric once this week and we did not have any action that evening.  He returned to this waterfall area at the end of the valley the next morning and got into a bull with some cows but could not get into a shooting position.  I loaned him this Checkmate Crusader takedown and he has learned how to shoot it.  The bow is on permanent loan until further notice.  He is pleased with the simplicity and trouble free use a longbow provides.  The light weight is a bonus too.  I think we have a traditional convert here.  Eric will be back with me again next year.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »

We took four saddle horses and 2 pack horses on an all day hunt to pumpkin lake, about a 4 mile ride each way, only a mile as the crow flies and 1500 ft straight up.  I wanted to take the pack horses so we would not have to waste a day going back to camp if we ended up having meat to pack.  Unfortunately we did not kill an elk up there that night. Al got to ride Tank.  Tank has a great handle and is big enough to carry a big person like Al al the way to pumpkin lake without giving out.  I took Jacob up there earlier in the week.  He was riding Pepe, my little silver dapple Palomino, and Pepe had a real hard time making the climb without having to stop for a blow or two.
 Al and Eric had a good hunt and saw a bull to work.  Steve and I had three bulls bugling at us and we got to work two of them into close range but no shots were taken.  Steve had a 40 yard shot at a decent 5x5 still in velvet that I called in but did not realize it until it was too late, as is often the case.

The top photos were taken of the area across the canyon where I wounded and lost that nice bull a few days earlier.  It is very steep country.  While Al and I were looking for that wounded bull we found a coffee pot near the wallow where the elk were bedding.  He put it in his pack and cleaned it up.  He likes to have tea everyday and used that pot to boil his tea water.  I will keep the pot in my campbox as long as I hunt and we named the place we found the pot, the coffeepot wallow.  I have a feeling we will hunt the coffeepot again and again in years to come.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »

Steve (Charbineau) accompanied me one day on my search for a dead elk.  The yellow line is the path we took.  We covered some dreadfull steep country.

We had to stop and take a breather rather frequently.  This picture shows the lack of tread on my Rocky Stalker boots.  I will never go to the mountains again without plenty of tread on my footwear.

In the bottom of the high basin we found the worlds smallest glacier.  Actually it is just some old leftover snow that is melting into a little puddle.  There were many elk tracks leading to this small puddle of snow melt, likely a drinking water source for the neighborhood elk.

We crossed this loose pile of rocks as a shortcut on our way to the next mountaintop.  You can make out a sheep trail if you turn your head just right.  This part of the hike wasn't too bad.

The trail got steeper and nastier as we made our ascent out of the canyon.  We needed to grab hold of the mountainside with all four limbs to make this climb.  The footing was loose and we sent a lot of rock tumbling down the mountain.

As we neared the top of the chute our route became steeper than ever.  These pictures do not do any justice to the steepness of the canon wall.  Next time I think I will give up some of my altitude for a more gradual trail up to the top of the mountain.  At times I was beginning to think "this is stupid, what am I doing here, clinging to this rock, about to slide off the mountain."  No harm done I guess.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
Thanks for sharin' MO Sherpa!

It was certainly beautiful country with some highs and lows.

Hope your leg heals soon.  The 2009 season was my shortest elk season *ever* - 1 day - on my way back to camp after an AWESOME day of elk encounters (no shots) I was climbing out of a steep canyon - less than 300 yards as the crow flies from camp - and I tore a muscle in my left calf...man down...quite literally....

It required 3 hours of mainly crawling to return to camp that night.  I managed to get packed up and out of the mountains in my vehicle, but yesterday was the first time in more than 6 days that I was somewhat more mobile.  Turned out that my ankle was affected more than the torn muscle....

The real disappointment was that my daughter - bless her heart - did not get to go big game hunting in 2009....

2010 will bring new opportunities and new adventures!

Man makes his plans, but God has the last word....

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©