3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Smoking while you hunt?  (Read 763 times)

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Smoking while you hunt?
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
I save a good cigar for a special occasion, if I shoot a nice buck I might lite up a stogie to celebrate.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
I do, but the wind tells me when. I go to extremes as far as ashtrays(35 mm case with water) and always keeping the butts in there too. Then that goes into a ziplock and into my fanny pack.
I have had HUNDREDS of deer in bow range. I can only remember one deer, a yearling, that spooked on me due to a slight wind change while smoking. But was it the smoke? I have no clue.

Dont get me wrong, I am trying to quit, and I hate to smoke anymore, BUT if you hunt smart and hunt the wind, it isnt any different than smelling like a human...

Oh another thing, in the morning up here....sunrise, when those first rays warm up everything and the thermals bring your scent(and smoke) high up into the sky...it is nice to have one and watch the woods come alive.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
Lets face it. Most of us have limited time to dedicate to hunting due to family obligations, work, ect. If I start scouting and patterning a good buck, I'm going to try my best to keep as many advantages on my side to get him on the ground. Bowhunting is a very close encounter style of hunting. I guess I just don't see any advantage's to burning a smoke while hunting. Paying attention to wind direction is paramount when hunting, thats basic hunting knowledge.

I read were a fella did a scent experiment's with a trained police dog. He was 25ft up a tree and the Shepard locked onto him 250 yards downwind of him and made a beeline to him. Deer have twice the amount of scent recepticals in there nose's then a dog has. Mature bucks will and do learn to assoiate sounds/scents with danger. Ever have a stand squeak in ya while getting in shotting position? The big boys don't wait to see what made the noise, they are in third gear before the noise even stops. If they make it to be a brusier, you better believe they have 9 lives (at least in the areas I hunt...) and they have been shot and/or shot at many times. I guess hunting unpressured areas is different, don't know, never had a chance to find out. I guess I just don't see any real advantage to make your presence known by smoking while hunting. I know guys who have killed some nice deer with a smoke hangin out of their mouth. 99% of those guys were hunting with rifles also. Putting a broadhead vs bullet thru a deer requires differnt rules/disiplines to adhere to. Just the way I see it.
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
When I was archery elk hunting in the Black Hills a couple years ago I ended up hunting with some local guys part of the time. Real nice guys, who knew the country and the elk well. I ended up killing my elk while on my own but really appreciated their help along the way. Anyway one of those guys was named Dave. Dave smoked the entire time we were hunting. Dave actually got me close to 2 different bulls that would have gone between 330 to 350+". I never got a shot but that had nothing to do with Dave smoking. I remember almost busting out laughing one time when I looked over at Dave and noticed he was smoking at the same time he was blowing his elk bugle. On the way into town to check my elk in at the check station and take my meat to the locker Dave came up behind me in his big county dump truck and flagged me down. I followed him over to the county shop so he could take a look at my bull. I took a picture of him standing in the back of the truck with the bulls rack sticking up. Just before I snapped the picture Dave went to lower his cigarette so it wouldn't be visible in the picture but I told him no way ... I want the picture to get the real Dave. Anyway, long story but here is the picture of Dave ... the only person I ever saw bugle and smoke at the same time!!!  :bigsmyl:  

To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »
I'm not a smoker.

But, I guess its kinda like the Thermacell discussions..if they can smell the thermacell, they're gonna smell you, too.

I know a fella who is a lethal predator caller. He smokes cigars while calling coyotes.  Guess it just depends on the wind.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »
You will be farther ahead not to smoke at all period, be a healthy hunter and throw the stogies away   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline iacornfed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
I don't smoke so I have no first hand experience. I did read an article in Fur Fish and Game about a fellow in Canada who lights a small smokey fire in his ground blind to keep warm while deer hunting. He claimed the deer would come down the trail sniffing to see where the smell was coming from. Said he did it every year and always gets his dear. I live in Iowa farm country and deer here don't seem to be bothered by tractors, combines or trucks. Their not even bothered by my dogs in the yard! The only thing that seems to bother them is humans moving. As long as you set or stand still they just watch you. More and they will run.
Choose ye this day whom you shall follow, as for me and my household we shall follow the LORD.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
I hope my neighbors smoke while they hunt.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
It's been a long time, but I used to smoke, and when I did I smoked while bowhunting.  Now I can't prove that it's related, but my success on deer is much better now than it ever was when I smoked.  Maybe I am just better at hunting - after all, experience should count for something.  But I've always felt smoking had something to do with it.  I'm sure some of it has to do with the extra movement involved in smoking.

It's not just the smell of the actual smoke from the cigarettes either.  Now that I no longer smoke I can't believe how strong the odor is on people that do smoke.  I can smell a smoker as soon as they walk in a room.  The odor lingers long after the butt is extinguished.  

Sure, if the deer can smell the smoke they can smell you.  But it's the same principal as keeping clean and washing your clothes.  They are going to smell you a whole lot better and from much further away than if you are clean and not smoking.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
Bohuntr

Smoking and wearing a 'DARE' shirt ....lol  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Young Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
Interesting...
I am not judged by the number of times I fail, but by the number of times I succeed. And the number of times I succeed is in direct proportion to the number of times I can fail and keep trying.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2009, 02:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by the real bowdoc:
well said fatman.Keep the wind in your face and puff away if thats would you choose to do.Smokers always get game because of that reason they always seem to have the wind in their face.I chew so I never get any game because I never have the wind in my face or I got spit in my eyes.bd
Doc. That's to funny, but your right, 95% of my hunting is from the ground and I use my stogy as a constant wind detector, hunting into or across the wind.

I do believe they some time's smell it ( how could they not  :p  ) but I also believe it does not alarm them at all, they know what smoke is, and smoke has never jumped on there back, so I don't think it gives them any cause for alarm.

Is there really a better nose than a hogs, I think not.

I have killed a few bucks while I was smoking a cigar in a tree, they came right in.

This is the Hope Bow for 2007 and I just shot the buck below, this buck bedded down @ 25 yards for almost a hour, I set the cigar in a fork and it went out, but it's time to relight it now   :D  

Derek, is my nephew and is just now getting into Trad Bowhunting, I know he respects a lot of the opinions here on Tradgang.

I think it's one of those mystery questions, they have to smell it some times yet, it does not seem to bother them.

If I was hunting out of the same tree every day, I might think twice about lighting up a cigar, but if they smell the cigar, they my not get alarmed, as it's just smoke.

Young buck are you bring a box for are Elk hunt? I'll show you my technique, they actually come runing to me    :saywhat:

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2009, 02:55:00 AM »
Smoke not only smells bad to the deer it also helps to carry your scent along with it.Plus the movement that go's along with it.Beleive it or not I quit smokeing because of deer hunting.
  Thats been 25 years ago and my buck siteings went way up.Remember when the winds right for you it's wrong for the buck.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »
I used to smoke, but never hunting deer or anything in the woods with a good nose.  Between the smell on me and everything around me and the whole idea of fire in the dry fall leaves, it just never seemed like a great ides.  Now water fowling was different.  Birds don’t smell you and lots of water around.  

Smoke less, live longer, and hunt more.  10 years smoke free for me.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
I Smoke all the time while hunting and have deer and other critters very close as long as you play the wind well there should be no problem. Everyones opinion will vary Though.
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline Young Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Kingwouldbe:Young buck are you bring a box for are Elk hunt? I'll show you my technique, they actually come runing to me  :saywhat:  

Kingwouldbe, as a matter of fact I ordered a couple including Oliva Serie 'O' Maduro, Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic, Gurkha Status Torpedo Tubo, and a few others  :campfire:  .  I can't wait for the elk hunt  :jumper:
I am not judged by the number of times I fail, but by the number of times I succeed. And the number of times I succeed is in direct proportion to the number of times I can fail and keep trying.

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
"A dying breed"

All smokers are a "dying breed",and in more ways then one!

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »
Some of the most sucessful hunters I know smoke on stand.  Having said that, I certainly wouldn't consider it an attractant as much as they're good hunters and generally compensate by hunting higher.  The movement would concern me more than the smoke.  We've conditioned deer to walk around looking up in NC!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
My father smoked but limited the number of cigs while hunting. He said the smoked was his wind checker. He also said it all the movement that goes with smoking not the smoke that keeps most smoking bowhunters fail to kill deer.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline barefoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
I smoke and have on several ocasions had to  slowly put out a smoke when I saw deer approaching. I was caught once with a smoke in my mouth when a doe came out from behind my treestand right under me. I was only about twelve feet up. I let her pass and did not shoot but she never spooked. Yes I still smoke on the stand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©