3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Smoking while you hunt?  (Read 764 times)

Offline illianabowhntr67

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Smoking while you hunt?
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
I know guys who smoke on stand and kill deer.I take a dip while hunting and have seen deer.I think wind and movement are key.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
A smoker will tell you it does not matter - a non-smoker will tell you it will.
It will

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
There is a late 1950s or early 1960s archery book (the title escapes right now) with a photograph of Howard Hill taking a cigarette break DURING a hunt. Byron Ferguson smokes. I don't smoke but I wouldn't kick Howard Hill or Byron Ferguson out of my bowhunting camp.  :o )

I used to dip Copenhagen snuff 24/7 (even while on stand) but I gave it up about 15 years ago to salvage my teeth & gums.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
I dont smoke but I have no problem with it. When Bruce Baughn was up here hunting with me he asked if I minded if he smoke in my stands. I told him I didnt mind, i chew on stand I have killed 2 deer as a direct result of my spitting on the ground.

Tobacco is old skool hunting in my mind. In fact i bought a bee smoker and will be smoking my clothes before I hunt this year rather than going scent free.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
I carry a pipe or cigar to light-up after I've made a shot and am waiting for the follow-up.

Of course, smoking is about the single worst thing you can do to your health.  If you smoke, you should stop.  If you don't smoke, don't ever start.

Good Scotch is something altogether different ....

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
Here's my thoughts.....

Cigars are nothing more than burning leaves(unless you smoke 'flavored' ones)....and I don't think the scent of burning leaves spooks animals.

Cigarettes are filled with chemicals, and they might be more likely to spook game but I don't know since I don't smoke them.

I've killed plenty of animals after I've had a cigar,(some of my biggest) and a few as I was smoking one.  I'm much more worried about them smelling me than my burning leaves.

As mentioned earlier...a cigar is a great windicator.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline richbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »
my dad for many years smoked while on stand,and i will say he had extremely good luck. i used to before i quit,i now chew snuff and don't see any problem with doing so.i have seen many deer and even taken a few while doing so.
Richard Battistoni

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
It's a personal issue.  Lot's of folks don't smoke for their own personal reason(s).  It's very hard to be against something as an individual and have an objective opinion about it.  

I could go on about why it is never a good idea to smoke while hunting - but then, I have a very strong opinion against smoking at all.  It can't be separated.  

At least, for now, you are free to do anything that God and the law will allow.  I'm thankful for your right to choose.  But all we can do is reinforce, or aggravate, your already selected predisposition.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
I know several old geezers like myself who smoke while hunting. Most of them kill a lot of game. I always put my smoke down before I shoot, don't want to burn my string in two.

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
just an opinion but this might have some bearing on the subject... the u.s. has become so populated that our human encroachment on wildlife habitat that i would assume that with increased interaction between humans and wildlife has become more frequent, particularly with deer, they may have become desensitized to being in close contact with human smells. i see deer where i live almost everyday. and i smoke. just an observation and opinion
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline PASQUINELL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
I feel the only thing smokin should be the limbs and then the pass thru hole!
"I can skin a GRIZZ as fast as you can catch um"...HA! stay right there pilgrim I'll be back!
JOHN 3:16

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©