3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Knight & Hale Elk Majic opinions  (Read 256 times)

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Knight & Hale Elk Majic opinions
« on: August 04, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
I am looking to add a couple of COW CALLS to my pack for an upcoming OR elk hunt.

Any one have any experience with these?  Pro's and Con's?

Thanks!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Knight & Hale Elk Majic opinions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »
The Buckmeister,
Where ya headin elkin this year?
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
Just talked to a Knight and Hale rep at a store the other day and he privately said he didn't have much faith in the elk calls Knight and Hale were making right now. I had a primos call in my hand and he said that looked about right.  Go figure.
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline kevin braun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 06:09:00 PM »
sounds like a Knight and Hale "rep" that shouldn't be a  Knight and Hale rep to me!!!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
Really?   I would respect him for an honest opinion, rather than endorsing something just because he is supposed to.  There are enough sheep around that do that already.  Good for him.

Offline nurayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
hoochie momma is easy

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
That's still no way to treat the hand that feeds ya, George. I would rather say nothing at all than to speak negatively about the one I represent.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
If I thought they were lousy, I would not lie about it. I would probably tell the company that they need improvements to be competitive.  Nothing wrong with that.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
Actually the "hoochy mamma" is a good cow call.  Only problem is it makes one sound and the elk are getting aware of it.  I like diaphrams but have been using them for 40 yrs.  

There are a lot of blow calls that will work, but get at least 3 different ones so you can vary your sound.  Try and mimic the sounds you here from the cows and bulls.  It works!!

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
I've never used the K&H calls, so I can't give you any feedback on them.  All I can say is give one a try, something different might be the winning ticket for you out here.

The bulls out here have heard so many Hoochie mama's the last 6-7 years, I hear stories about guys using it on an elk they can see in the distance and the bull not only doesn't answer, he turns and trots off.

If you can use a simple 2 reed diaphram, you can make all the elk sounds you'll ever need. The Buglin Bull and Primos Palate PLate are very similar, but they're my personal favorites.

Another call that my hunting partner and I use quite a bit is the Hunter's Specialty Squeeze Me call.  It has a rubber bubble you operate with your thumb and has a tone changing end that you can adjust for higher and lower cow/calf sounds. I don't see many hunters using this call and we have good luck with it.

Good luck!
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »
honestly, I think they are junk, though I think the rep could do a better job.  If they are junk, he needs to be puttin in his opinion.

primos stuff is good, as are Rockies mountain Game calls, and hunters specialties.   Any of their single open reed calls in tandem with a diaphragm (2 or 2.5) will get the job done well.  like mike said, it never hurts to have several.  also, the E.L.K rubber band call (the old one thats been around forever) still makes very good sounding cow calls.  I used to think it was generic lookin, old, etc...  but regardless the thing produces right up there with the hyper lip single and hyper hot cow.  Learn to use that diaphragm reed!  My opinion.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©