3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead Sharpening???  (Read 893 times)

Offline northland archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead Sharpening???
« on: August 04, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
Ok, i just got a few un-sharpened Tusker broadheads, what is the best way to get the initial edge on the head?  Any of you out there who can take a flat piece of metal and make it shave, i would appreciate any help.  

Thanks Much
Treavor
Teach a child about Christ...then the bow.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead Sharpening???
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
if you send me your heads and i'll sharpen them for free. if your impressed, i'll teach you how i sharpened them to shaving sharp in 1 minute a head.....pm me if interested...hope this helps....
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
Treavor, I'm a big fan of file sharpening to develop the edge.  Once done, then touch them up any way you like.

Joebuck that's a very generous offer.   :thumbsup:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
I always heard great things about Tuskers and hopefully look forward to working with one. The more people i help, the lessor my Traditonal debt is!

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 12:58:00 AM »
Joebuck,

I wish you would teach all of us!!!  I would love to have you post the instructions for us to see.  :readit:  

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 07:57:00 AM »
Hold that thought Allan. I would like too very much......

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 08:01:00 AM »
Joe I would love to check it out too.bd

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
Joe,

One sharpening nut to another, I'd love to see your technique too.  :thumbsup:  

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
Wasn't there a step by step thread you did already with pics about a week ago or am I just thoroughly confused?
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
Ron, you know i can't teach an ole dog a new trick!!!!!

I just sharpened an Eclipse..it took me 3 minutes...it was an old head that was new. However i can touch up one that has been sharpened in 30 seconds ..i think  :)

Khard..it's the same method i did on single bevel. i am going to use a double bevel this time on a wheel.

it's just burr flipping and strop polishing. No matter what you implement you use, you have got to micro 'roll' that edge and get a burr...

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
Joebuck can do it guys, I've seen him work his magic, Matter a fact I think I will head over to his house later and get another lesson !
Matter of fact he got a woodsman so sharp for me all I had to do was SHOW it to the hog I was about to shoot !
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline outbackbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Three things you cant take back, time past, harsh words and a well sped arrow

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
Joe,

Who you callin "old"???  :saywhat:  I'll claim to know a little bit about sharpenin stuff BUT, I sure don't know it all (yet)  ;) , and I very much enjoy seeing and learning from other people's techniques.

"old"... can you believe this guy???  :biglaugh:

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
yeah I think it's the face shaving thread that you did with the single bevel...good stuff there!
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
Heres a quick video i put together to show how fast and easy it is to get a 2 blade BH back to Razor Sticky sharp with the Grizz Stik System.  In this clip i only sharpen 1 side of a 2 blade double bevel Eclipse that i dulled on a hickory shovel handle. If this would have been a new head, i would have ground both shoulders with the 240 grit wheel but in this case it was a touch up job on a dull head. Alaska Bowhunting Supply is a sponsor on here and have more info on this system. good luck

Heres a video of sharpening a new head from the guys at Alaska Bowhunting Supply that goes through the whole process of establishing a new angle grind.

Offline northland archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
Very nice!  I have three of the heads done using some of the styles here.  The more you do, the better they are.

Thanks for all the info.  Very good info.

Treavor
Teach a child about Christ...then the bow.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
I will second joebucks wheel system _ just got mine and used it the first time on a grizzly 160. I had already worked this head with a file getting the angle but just a few passes on the paper wheels and it was SCARY sharp - mirror polished.

I am sharpening like every cutting instrument in the house with the wheels! WOW - ya gotta try it.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
I will, sort of, third joebucks wheel system.  I took one tusker to that baby earlier this week and got it scary sharp (sharper than I've EVER gotten a broadhead) in less than 2 minutes.

However, I've been screwing around for 3 days trying to get a second one sharp and haven't gotten it done.  I did something right tonight and got one edge of one broadhead sharp but don't know how I did it.

Joebuck, lemme know the "secret"
homebru

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 08:22:00 AM »
Homebru (awesome handle!)...the key is to get a burr on one edge then move over to paper wheel and LIGHTLY (pressure) flip burr back over then swap and light pressure again and flip back....it may not take but 2-3 flip flops on the paper wheel.

Now let me back up....you have a new Tusker...put head on 240 grit wheel about 1/2" above axle height for me and make 3 passes of grind on that side. Flip head and grind three passes on other side...do your 3 and flip with light pressure at same angle till you grind all the way to the edge on one side and get THAT burr to lean over to other side..You want just one angle and grind it to the very edge to get that burr..then go to paper wheel...........in the future if you are touching up a head, i just go light on one side with 240 wheel then to papaer and leather....be careful stropping on leather because it can dull too if not careful....

wrapping it up......GRIND till you can feel with the bottom of your thumb a burr on one side of head...........take your time and do not overheat the head.......good luck..did i help?

This is the Burr you want on ONE side of blade grinding on 240. Notice how the burr is a different color than shoulder metal. Dead give away in a visual inspection. Also you can feel the burr with bottom of thumb or drag it across top of fingernail.

This is pic of other side of Bear head...notice shoulder metal is all one color because no burr on this side because it's on the other...I do have a slight angle grind run off......but not important here... You can feel the burr and see it if present ..you can't here in this shot

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
Hey Joe,
I've got the concept, just having a tough time raising a burr.  The first broadhead did it immediately and was scary sharp within a couple of minutes.  Otherwise, not going as well.  Could be a wax issue or something.

Great pics showing the burr.
homebru

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©