3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who carries survival item when hunting?  (Read 1041 times)

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Who carries survival item when hunting?
« on: August 06, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
Being lost in a national forest ounce and having mother nature teach me a valuable lesson about being prepared, I thought i would ask what you all carry with you incase you end up spending alot more time in the woods then planned   :eek:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who carries survival item when hunting?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
No matter where I hunt,the back 40 or a large tract of land I always carry some waterproof matches, hard candy,space blanket and some snare wire. You never know. Oh and I never leave home without a compass.
I reckon so

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
I carry the two best things..a phone and gps.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
I always walk around with a doan fire starter a swiss army knife farmer's model a whisltle, compass and thermometer and two medicine fobs on my keychain. I also have a fixed blade belt knife and a leatherman wave on my belt. In my pockets I have a lockblade folder, a bic lighter, a first aid kit, 3 bandanas,a pocket chainsaw,an altoid tin survival kit with both fishing and trapping equipment in it. When I go into the field I have more survival gear in my packs.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
You already know what I carry.   :p
Support the sport!

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »
I normally carry a waterproof match container, dryer lint in a small baggie, and a fixed blade knife, but I hunt pretty close to my fathers house and he knows the areas I hunt and no chance of getting lost so if I'm not out shortly after dark someone knows where to find me so I figure a small fire will serve well if I happen to get an injury that would prevent me from getting out on my own.

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
It's important and also part of the fun. Never been lost but I carry all I need to survive if I was. Most of my stuff fits compactly in pockets. I have a big knife, (Recon scout) plyer tool, compact sharpener, compasses, water purifier tablets, fire starters, string, simple first aid stuff, tape, wistle and I think that's about it.

Offline Glenn Hickey Jr.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »
I wear a two inch leather belt with a sheath knife, water and a small leather pouch (8"X7")which carries, folding hunter knife,shapening steel, compass, bic lighter, mag fire starter, tube of lint, five waterproof fire starters, whistle, small but complete first aid kit. If I go in the woods it's the first thing that goes on.
Father, Glorify Thyself..
at my expense...
and send me the bill.

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
I carry most of the stuff mentioned above and an extra flashlight and spare batteries.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
Cell phone, fire starter, compass, whistle and liquid stitches.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
These are always with me...

Knife, Cell(turned off), matches, lighter, small first aid kit, light, canteen, 25'cord and a small bone saw.  Lucky for me I have never had to stay out longer than I planned,, but being prepared is always a good thing.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
always  always   always  carry TP.    Can't live without it.....
ChuckC

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
A compass and a .357 pistol. You just never know. Had a guy killing off hunters several years ago. Wish he would come to my prison.  :bigsmyl:  A little piece of mind I guess.
A good lighter as well.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 02:56:00 AM »
a knife; a lighter; a magnesium fire starter; unpaid bills in my wallet for tinder.
 I don't worry about toilet paper; but the chipmunks live in fear. ( They are soft; I have no idea how they explain it to their families).
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 03:19:00 AM »
GOOD FIVE INCH FIXED BLADE , TOOL CLIP , SMALL SURVIVAL PACK [ SPACE BLANKET , FIRELIGHTERS , MAG FIRE STARTER ,emergency rain parker , some hard candy, headlamp w/ spare batts and globes / compass......all wrapped up in a woolen beanie.
aside from the fixed blade it wraps up in a small bumbag bout the size of a soft ball . the further in i go the bigger and more complex the gear gets . i still try and carry as little as possible .....
i've stayed out several nites with this , twice by choice just to see how's i do  , other times not so and i made out ok ...

Ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
Always - got a few bits with me from a good stout knife, fire starting stuff w/kindling (waxed cotton balls and natural tinder) all kept in waterproof bags, first aid stuff, bllod stopping stuff in case of slip with good stout knife, some tylenol, parachute chord, and duct tape.

Here in eastern NC I could hunt a place one day that I am not 150 yards from a rd, next day or during all of bear season I am hunting around catfish lake where it is considered a wilderness area by the state and can be some of the most thick stuff you'll find this side of cambodia - LONG ways from any road or help. People look at my pack and think I am nuts till they hunt with me one time! Next time they have gathered their own gear. LOL

Jason
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
For my elk hunting mountain trips I have a gallon size ziploc bag that contains a few essential things that include a couple of trioxane fuel bars for starting fires, a zippo lighter(kept inside its own tiny ziploc baggie to contain the fuel vapors), a space blanket, trash bag that can be used as makeshift raingear, 100ft of parachute cord, a whistle and  small signal mirror, a small sharpening stone, small folding knife, small tube of superglue, small roll of guaze. Also in my pack  I carry a PUR filter and a water bottle or two bottles of water, and some food; jerky, snickers bar, dried fruit of some sort like apricots or raisins.  Fleece sweater vacuum packed/compressed into a small packet.  LED flashlight and a spare battery, compass, SPOT locater device.  I have a gps but do not usually carry it.

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
Well, I always have the essentials, My longbow, quiver, and a razor sharp dependable knife and a knife sharpener, from Alaskan bowhunting supply, about 3 quart size zip lock bags and zip ties.  That's it!!  I was fortunate enough to get survival training in the Corps.  I honestly believe and have made a fire out of what I found, can filter water with what is at hand and there is always something to eat, and find shelter or make it.  It is well worth the time to learn some survival stuff, you will never leave home without it.  There are literally thousand of good survival books out there, just don't read them, go out in a safe place (back yard) and try a few till you are confident, then you are prepared for anything.  You can take 60# of stuff for survival with you, or just use what mother nature has right there, worked for the Native Americans for thousands of years.

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
Quick clot and a knife.  Biggest threat to your life is a fall from a tree stand or accidentally cutting yourself with a broadhead.  That goes for the majority of the hunting population hunting within walking distance to some help.

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by leatherneck:
A compass and a .357 pistol. You just never know. Had a guy killing off hunters several years ago.  
You had a guy who ran around in the woods and killed hunters?   :eek:
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©