3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heavy # effect later in life?  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heavy # effect later in life?
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »
"Hacking it" has nothign to do with it.  Can I shoot a 75# bow?  Absolutely.  Do I shoot that weight regularly?  Nope.  It's a waste and a good way to injure yourself.

Maybe you need to back off and realize that because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
I agree with Jeff.  It's become some kind of badge of honor for some people.  I'm 63 and I don't have aches and pains because I'm 63, and I take your statement with a little aggravation. It's an idiotic statement.  I would like to think that you wouldn't be dumb enough to make a comment like that to me or Jeff, or anyone, face to face.  And, I have news for you, your heavy bow won't shoot flatter than any other bow that is shooting the same speed, pound for pound, with an appropriate arrow.  

For some reason, you are getting insulting, and that is a reflection on you partner, no one else.
I've done a lot of things in this life that you may have a tough time "hacking."  So can-it kid, you are not impressing anyone.

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
Now I see that Macho is starting to shine true. When it's 5 AM. and your in a hury to get in a tree there's not time for shooting a 30# warm-up bow and a exercise routine. Not to mention if you have been sitting 4 hours and a deer comes along, no time for that routine to get loose.

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »
Well said George

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
George..Your right my arrow does not shoot my arrow flat nor do I want it to.  I'm saying that a common reason people go the light setup route is so they can shoot a flat fast arrow.  By no means do they want a hump in their trajectory.  And I still think more and more people are scared of a heavy bow because it is more about archery these days than a weapon to hunt with.
Shooting my bow does not give me a badge of honor.  It is an "honor" to be able to hunt large animals with it and because of that I owe it to myself and the animal.  I shoot my bow because it is a weapon not a target arrow shooter.  Why in the world would I use a bow and arrow less powerful than I could proficiently practice with because there ARE more benefits to that "as powerful as I can proficiently practice with" bow than a lighter bow.  Why leave any effort on the table?
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
The generalisations on both sides of this difference of opinion are best avoided, I believe. There are many fine bowmen, past and present, of both persuasions, each with reasons for his own choice.

Respectfully,

Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
George is right.
Sharp and accurate count more than heavy -- and a pass through shot is a pass through shot.
I don't know about other parts of the world, but the deer around here won't stand still for a warm up routine.
One shot with cold muscles and tendons will be all you get.
All of us old guys were more injury resistant when we were younger, that is just natural physiology. I seem to be as strong as I ever was -- maybe stronger because I am more diligent about weight lifting now that I am older. But I can hurt my joints a heck of a lot easier at 60 than I ever could even at 40.
I make sure that I shoot a bow I can handle accurately without a warm up. I also make sure I shoot a bow I can hold at full draw -- just in case that deer takes an unexpected step and I have to wait a fews moments for a good shot. I don't ever want to take a foolish shot because I can't handle the bow in my hands.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2009, 05:27:00 PM »
I am not suggesting everyone should shoot a heavy bow.  But for someone to suggest others are waisting their time shooting heavy bows while they are young because: It is a waist and because you will pay later when older is ridiculous.  The ones who don't exercise by exerting their bodies (shooting bows included) are the ones that will hurt the most when older.  That is one reason I say, as long as I can, I will leave no effort on the table when bowhunting.
Smokin Joe...I think that heavy, sharp and accurate is better than light, sharp and accurate?  For some reason some people seem to always seperate "heavy" from sharp and accurate.  And deer always make those unexpected movements when getting shot at.  I think that a heavy setup is better to have when that happens.
Richie Nell

Black Widow

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
If you can't see that you can hurt yourself more easily carrying a refrigerator than a treestand, regardless of your physical condition, then I don't know what else to say.

Maybe ask Lou Ferrigno how well weightlifting prevents injury.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
Richie,
You will get no argument from me about heavy, sharp and accurate.

But I have noticed that as I have aged the weight I am able to pull when I am cold and not warmed up has declined (I can't run fast any more either)-- and -- it seems like that is a very typical situation for older guys. A little research on the effects of age will reveal the fact that connective tissue loses elasticity with age. It is that elasticity and its cushioning effect that protects younger people from injury. The decline in tendon elasticity, regardless of muscle strength, is the source of injury for older people. I spent many years as an athlete and I still lift weights 5 days a week, so I know what I can and cannot handle as far as muscle strength is concerned. At my age I choose to shoot a lighter bow than I used to shoot, and that is mostly because I want to keep hunting and shooting, and connective tissue joint injuries are expensive and disruptive to life. Moreover, and this is important, I understand the limitations I have placed on myself by moving to a lighter draw weight.

May I suggest that sharp and accurate are are an ethical necessity, and thus are primary. And that next comes shooting the heaviest bow that the archer can handle well?

I hope we can all agree that an experienced bow hunter probably is the best individual judge of his or her own optimum draw weight.

Best regards,
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
"It does take more strength and hard work to shoot a more powerful weapon that does have advantages. If you just can't hack it. Say you can't hack it. It may be that you are afraid of a little muscle burn and excercise. If you're scared get a dog."

Richie ... this is disapointing and just plain ol' disrespectful stuff .....

Ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
Joe..I disagree with nothing in your post above.  I know for a fact I will be pulling a lower weight as well when I am older.  That is what bodies do when they age whether it has pulled a bow back or not.  That is ageing.  So one of my points was that it doesn't make sense to me to suggest not shoot all you can handle when your young just because it might make you have aches and pains when you are older.  Its gonna happen anyway...and probably less.  I certainly do not mean to imply that the older hunters should pull heavy bows.  

"May I suggest that sharp and accurate are are an ethical necessity, and thus are primary. And that next comes shooting the heaviest bow that the archer can handle well?"

It could not be expressed any better than that.
To me..that is textbook ethics.

Well said,

Richie
Richie Nell

Black Widow

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
yep....you're right Ben.  I didn't mean it that way but you are right. I should not have typed that.

To Jeff, George, RLA, Joe and both Ben's...I sincerely do apologize for the disrespectful and unprofessional remarks I have made in this conversation.  
I spoke way too soon.  Listening to you more experience hunters makes alot more sense than anything I have suggested.

Regrets,
Richie
Richie Nell

Black Widow

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
Richie, nobody's trying to make you change anything you do. Show some common courtesy. Those of us with some age on our bones know what we're talking about. I can still "hack it", but now I have more sense.

A young bull and an old bull were admiring a pasture full of cows. The young bull said, "Let's run down there and make love to one of those cows!" The old bull said, "Let's walk down there, and make love to them all."
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
You guys have gotten way off track. This thread was not a "which is better light or heavy" thread. Read the title and initial post  :readit:  
What was asked was potential the longterm effects of shooting heavy.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
pseman...you are correct.
Richie Nell

Black Widow

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
"I hope we can all agree that an experienced bow hunter probably is the best individual judge of his or her own optimum draw weight."

Yep. Says it all. For some people a 50# bow is a heavy bow and a 60# bow is a light bow. Who is more likely to do damage to their joints and tendons or otherwise injure themselves in that scenario? I'd bet that at least SOME of the guys criticising heavy bow shooters are in fact "heavy bow shooters" themselves-it's just that 50# is all they can handle but they won't admit it. There is nothing inherently damaging in shooting a 60# bow over a 50# one nor inherently protective in shooting a 50# bow or otherwise doing everything light.  Just the opposite if you are letting your muscles atrophy all over. The generally out of shape, one sport, weekend warriors are the most likely to get injured. The parts wear out eventually for everybody as does life but all of the research I have read supports the conclusion that, barring incorrect movement, bad genes, or freak injury, those parts will last much longer WITH exercise than trying to avoid heavy lifting, exercise, looking for technology solutions, "going light" etc. Anybody remember Jack LaLanne pulling tug boats in his 70's?
Damn! I swore I wasn't going to get in to this again! Last time! I promise!    :biglaugh:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
What Curveman says..
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
Back to something close to the original post.  I know a husband and wife who are a couple of the best bow shots and hunting people I've ever met.  Between the two of them there's more than 100 buck kills and that's in PA where you don't get bunches of tags.  That being said, I ran into the wife not long agao and asked about their shooting and she said they don't shoot alot any more and she has went to a crossbow and her husband to a compound.  They are both pushing 70 yrs. old but I had to ask why.  She said they were saving their shoulders???  I couldn't help but ask her "What for?"  She said, "If we kept shooting the heavy recurves we would eventually ruin our shoulders and not be able to shoot them any more."  Once again I said, "Then you would have to go to either a compund or crossbow right?"  She said exactly.  I guess I missed something in that conversation but I can't think of a thing I'm saving my shoulders for now that I'm senior citizen age.  What am I going to do with them later on?

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
Why is does this thread have so many replies including mine?

If you hunt ethically with a bow that is comfortable for you, can hit the mark and have a sharp broadhead, then what's the issue?

I was a highschool and college athlete, but NEVER was able to bench press over 230lbs. This was even with strength coaches. My joints couldn't handle it then and still can't. All the coaches were shocked, but I didn't let it stop me from playing or stop them putting me in the game.

I'm "in the game now" with a 53lb recurve and proud of it! I'll admit I can't hack a 70# bow. Can I shoot it a few times? Yes, but I have to go see a therapist afterward. Not worth it.

Shoot what you like if it is TRULY comfortable, use good form and and hit the target. Everyone is different. Do what works for you.

70# isn't necessary and it "likely" would be better for your joints in the long run to shoot 55-60# instead. You may be an exception to the aging rule, but do you want to chance it?

Do what works for you.

-Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©